Message Boards

Topic : 03/31 Young Wives at a Turning Point, Part 4

Number of Replies: 26
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 26, 2009, 04:03:12 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Three young couples who struggle to deal with issues such as domestic violence, infidelity and addiction check into The Dr. Phil House to overhaul their relationships. As the last day approaches, a couple’s conversation becomes an angry confrontation. One wife realizes the need for fun in a relationship, and how it can strengthen their union. Can she overcome her fear of leaving their kids with a babysitter? The men learn that the time to grow up and be responsible fathers is now. Will they embrace the role of the man in the family? And, an emergency visit from a police officer gives all the couples a reality check. Could you be at risk of losing your children and not even know it? Don’t miss the poignant moment with Dr. Phil that leaves all three couples tearfully vowing to change. Get inspired to fix your own problem relationship before it’s too late!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 3, 2009, 12:55 pm CDT

03/31 Young Wives at a Turning Point, Part 4

Quote From: highhouse5

I am wondering why Dr. Phil didn't call Cadem's wife on the carpet for her controling behavior. She married the man and now she's mad that he is not living up to her expectations. I do appreciate the fact that Dr. Phil said that she was going to look like the bad guy in the relationship because she did. Granted Cadem was not totally without fault, but she seemed as if she thought she was perfect and she wasn't. They both have a great deal of growing up to do and they better do it fast because they have a young child.
That's what really bugged the hell out of me, Monica's "I'm-just-perfect-it's-everyone-else-who's-screwed-up" attitude. Maybe Dr Phil took the more indirect, "you're-going-to-look-like-the-bad-guy" approach because nothing else was working with her.

April 4, 2009, 6:08 am CDT

Quote From: shelly_80

You raised an interesting topic.  I guess I never really noticed everyone smoking in the house.  I consider smoking to be a very selfish habit because it not only affects the one smoking, but everyone around them, as well.  I wonder if smokers ever stop to think about that?  Or do they even care?  I did a search on "second-hand smoke" and here's a little tid -bit of information I found.

"You don't have to be a smoker for smoking to harm you. You can also have health problems from breathing in other people's smoke.  Second-hand smoke contains more than 50 substances that can cause cancer. Health effects of exposure to second-hand smoke include lung cancer, nasal sinus cancer, respiratory tract infections and heart disease."

If it can do that to someone second-hand imagine what it does the the smoker.  While I don't think  occasionally passing by a smoker on the sidewalk will cause these symptoms.  I do, however, think this is what happens to the innocent children who's parents won't take into consideration the fact that they are slowly killing their kids.  Those poor kids have to grin and bear it, wondering why.  If people won't value their own health by not smoking, the least they could do is value their children's health by not smoking around them.  Everyone deserves to breathe fresh air but children deserve it most of all.  I  don't get smoking PERIOD, but I seriously don't get smoking on a defenseless child.  Something else I don't get.  People can barely make ends meet just to keep food on the table, but by golly they're not gonna do without cigarettes and beer.

i just wish dr phil would say something anything about it. he always talks about how he does so many shows because of the kids but he ignores this glaring problem with the parents. it is beyond me why this is ignored by everyone. i watched my mom die from cancer due to smoking and i would wish that on my worst enemy. it should be a non smoking house PERIOD!!!!!!! and they should all be offered help to quit

April 4, 2009, 2:52 pm CDT

smoking awareness

Quote From: scott101

i just wish dr phil would say something anything about it. he always talks about how he does so many shows because of the kids but he ignores this glaring problem with the parents. it is beyond me why this is ignored by everyone. i watched my mom die from cancer due to smoking and i would wish that on my worst enemy. it should be a non smoking house PERIOD!!!!!!! and they should all be offered help to quit

Scott,

I hope I didn't offend you when I said I thought smoking was a selfish habit.  I certainly didn't mean to.  I know you didn't love you mom any less for smoking.  Even thought you might not have agreed with her unfortunate habit, she was still your mom and you loved her with fiber of your being.  My apologies if I touched a tender nerve. 

I had a dear friend who is significantly older than me.  He has smoked the majority of his life. One day I made the comment, "those things are going to kill you, you know!" His response was, "I've been smoking my whole life."  Due to personal issues we lost touch March of '08.  To this day, I fear that someone will come tell me he has cancer, or worse, has already died from it. He struggles with alcoholism in addition to smoking and that concerns me too.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is, I understand hating the habit but desperately loving the person with the habit.

I agree with you completely on all points!  Society has made smoking just about as common as breathing.  I guess it is so common and out of hand that the awareness of the serious risks have ceased to exist, anymore.  I wish Dr. Phil would raise the awareness again, though.  It is so depressing to think how young kids are that start smoking because they think "it looks cool."  They're not the least bit concerned with having respect for those who don't smoke, or the health risks they face, directly.  Kids don't have the ability to look 40-50 years down the road and picture theirself hooked up to an oxygen tank 24/7 because smoking has left them with COPD and/or emphazema.  It's really sad.  If it means that much to you and I know it does, then I encourage you to do some research to find out where to go and who to talk to about this issue.  YOU have a story and I firmly believe you can use that story to turn around the lives of people with this habit or stop it before it starts.

SCOTT, I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME AWARE! 

April 4, 2009, 4:00 pm CDT

Quote From: ramair

I've noticed most of the Dr Phil House-guests smoking from the beginning. Apparently, it isn't allowed inside the house, but almost everyone smokes like freight trains on the patio. And, I doubt they refrain around their children. It really pisses me off seeing people smoking right in their children's faces. I consider smoking a form of child endangerment. It is now the known cause of most "crib" deaths. And, it isn't just the "second-hand smoke" that harms infants. It's the smoke residue left in the smokers' clothes and hair after smoking. I can only imagine what it does to an infant's throat. It makes mine burn whenever someone who's been smoking walks past me.

I have noticed no one smoking "inside" the house.  I greatly appreciate Dr. Phil for that. To be honest, I wouldn't expect anything less, considering he and Robin are a non-smokers. The only place I've noticed guests smoking, is on the patio, which is fine, you can't exactly tell someone they can't smoke outside.  It makes me happy to know that guests who don't smoke basically have a guaranteed "safe haven" if you will. 

Smoke residue never crossed my mind, but that's so true. When you said that about it being the known cause for most crib deaths, it sent chills up and and down my back and arms. In my opinion, the smell of old nicotine is the absolute worst.  I've gone to clubs and/or bars and never noticed when the smoke was seeping into my hair and clothes at the moment. However, the morning after (excuse the expression), it was the most ransit smell.  I've had to wash my hair 3 times in a row just to get the smell out but I had to let it wear out on it's own- it took days.  Needless to say, I don't go very often.

April 4, 2009, 4:16 pm CDT

Quote From: highhouse5

I am wondering why Dr. Phil didn't call Cadem's wife on the carpet for her controling behavior. She married the man and now she's mad that he is not living up to her expectations. I do appreciate the fact that Dr. Phil said that she was going to look like the bad guy in the relationship because she did. Granted Cadem was not totally without fault, but she seemed as if she thought she was perfect and she wasn't. They both have a great deal of growing up to do and they better do it fast because they have a young child.
I definitely think Dr. Phil could have slammed it on Monica for being such a conrol-freak much harder than he did.  She's a big girl, she could handle it.  I noticed on the very first show when the 3 couples were being introduced, Dr. Phil pointed out her control issues, then asked her if it would be okay if he helped Ed and Jenna.  I just sat there and laughed.  He did make a spectacle out of Monica there, but for the most part, he was wearing kid gloves.  I think he should have been as hard on her as she was on Cadum for the sole reason of being able to say, "HOW DOES IT FEEL?"

April 7, 2009, 4:10 pm CDT

Hi, 
I am a young mom myself and ever day I see my little boy smile, I now all the ups and downs are worth it.
Being a parent is the best job in the world, so I have know doubt in my mind that these 3 couples love their babies.
I watched the show and even with what I saw, I still have no place to pretend like I know these couples....but I would like to say that oddly enough, I saw Tara and Matt shopping with their 3 beautiful girls and they looked great together. I wanted to go up to them and introduce myself because watching the show, even though it was painful for them, I thought Tara was a nice girl and someone I could see myself connecting with.......BUT, I thought it would be really weird to just walk up to them and having them think "what a nut!",lol. 
Anyways, Tara and Matt, you guys are looking good and I hope the future is full of love and laughs for both you and your amazing family.
                                                                                  Lacey
P.S. I was so shocked to see you both just shopping around and a part of me was so excited and I was bugging the hell out of my boyfriend because I point you guys out and told him where I saw you guys and went through an comlete description of the show.lol.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next Page | Last Page