Message Boards

Topic : 06/26 Frustrated Moms

Number of Replies: 59
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 26, 2009, 04:06:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/01/09) America is teeming with people who are frustrated by rising unemployment, lack of affordable health care and mounting foreclosures. Dr. Phil talks to children who say they are silently shouldering their parents’ rage. He meets with two sets of siblings -- sisters Kelsey, 12, and Courtney, 13; and sister and brother Skyler, 17, and Shane, 15 -- who say their mother's anger has them walking on eggshells. What do the kids say are their biggest fears? Next, Dr. Phil sits down with Kelsey and Courtney’s mom, Lisa, alone. Lisa says her Jekyll-and-Hyde personality causes her to verbally attack her daughters. Find out what incident caused her to fly into a rage and kick one of her kids out! What’s behind the mom’s fury? Dr. Jim Sears, renowned pediatrician and co-host of the hit show The Doctors weighs in. Then, Skyler and Shane’s mother, Shawnda, says she’s on edge every day and fears that rage is slowly killing her. She says she cusses like a sailor in the home and calls her children horrible names such as bitch and retard. Can Shawnda learn to get her temper under control? Plus, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s eight coping steps for verbally abusive parents. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 27, 2009, 7:53 am CDT

Eager and waiting...

I've been watching the previews for this show and am anxious and waiting for it to air.  From what I have seen so far, I KNOW this episode will help me.  I don't abuse my kids, but I have been a stay-at-home mom for about 4 years now.  I have definitely lost my temper more times than I am comfortable with.  Some of the things the mom has said just from the previews I've said to myself, "I know how she feels.  I know exactly where she's coming from."   Especially when she says she feels like sometimes she just can't control her emotions.  We're adults, we know how and we are expected to.  But there are those times...you just see red and feel like a volcano about to erupt.  And you're supposed to walk away, calm down, breathe.  How easy, so simple, to say.  SO MUCH HARDER to actually do in the moment. 

Thank you SO MUCH, Dr. Phil, for deciding to take this topic on.  This is the life-saver I've been waiting for. 

March 27, 2009, 12:08 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Angry Doctor Moms Phil/Robin. Of course all Moms are angry sometime but not all the time. See you on----

April 01st Wednesday, 2009. Sincerley  Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------

April 1, 2009, 12:31 pm CDT

mom's can leave permanent damage

All you angry Mom's must not realize the damage you are doing to your children or you don't care . I have dealt with mental issues for 50 years and  it will never be o.k. for me.The mean  things you say can not be taken back.Daily verbal abuse & screaming tirads eventually lead to my mom throwing a knife & stabbing me,I was not taken to a doctor & almost died .I ran away at 14 years old & never went back.I still wish I would have had a different Mom.Your children are ruined forever by your selfish behavior.

April 1, 2009, 12:53 pm CDT

I know the feeling

When i was growing up in my mothers home i had to go through what Lisa's children are going through if not worse.  My mother would actually try to kill herself call me at my friends home down the street and tell me that i was going to a foster home. My father actually did kill himself when i was seven. My whole life growing up in her home was a nightmare! I have forgave her but i do not speak with her. I can't ever remember a good memory. I just feel for the children that are out there who have to deal with parents that cant control their emotions. I hope that Lisa does get help for the childrens sake. The kids will never forget. i know i will never forget. I love my mother but i can not forget what i had to go through.

April 1, 2009, 12:56 pm CDT

I wish you the best

Dear Lisa---Your courage to talk about your anger honestly in front of thousands for you and your children touched me so. My mother also was never a bad person, but also was so devastated by her own grief and took it out on all five of my brother's and sister's at the time. I always knew her heart and was able to forgive. I felt your love and sincerity for your beautiful girls and hope that you all are able to mend from this and at some point celebrate your husband and their father. You all deserve to be happy.

April 1, 2009, 1:01 pm CDT

Such amazing girls

I grew up with an angry mom, who combined physical "punishement" with her screaming and shouting.  I remember growing up, hating home and being anywhere around my mother.  I would come home from school and stand at the top of my road, looking at my house wondering where I could go, rather than go home.  I grew up hating and fearing my parents. 

I have to be honest and tell you that I still struggle today ,physically and emotionally, every day, 43 years later, with what they did to us as childern.

I have two girls and I try very hard NOT to repeat what happened to me and I think I've been successful.  What is really sad is that my mom got very ill for quite a while before she died and I really tried hard to care, but just couldn't.  When she died, I hardly shed a tear, and even now, I struggle to find feelings for her...which I know hurt her tremendously in her later years.

Your mom on the programme has THE most amazing girls and quite honestly, I don't think she deserves them! 

April 1, 2009, 1:22 pm CDT

I Can Relate

My mom screamed, raged, hit, and hated me. I was one of 6. I knew she hated me. No matter what I did I was ignored, or screamed at. It took me a lifetime to understand and forgive. I see myself in those kids, except my mom didn't care if I was starving, sick, or had absolutely nothing to wear. It wasn't until my mom was dying and she said, "I love you," I was stunned. That was 12 years ago and I never ever thought she loved me or even liked me. I realized my role in the family was to relieve stress by being funny and also when she died I helped take care of her and we finally bonded. I truly understand my angry mom did love us, she just couldn't show it. Thank you for helping this woman because her kids deserve happiness. It is no fun to be scared every day of your childhood. I still remember coming home from school and being so happy to smell Mom's perfume, because I knew she was at work until 11 PM and I would be safe. The 6 of us felt we pretty much raised ourselves. No children deserve that. That's why now I only have one child. I didn't want to repeat the mistakes.

April 1, 2009, 1:26 pm CDT

Well, Mom,

I'm not here to 'rip you a new one' or tell you how bad you are. I don't have the right. I was just like you when my kids were young. I used to spend all my time yelling because I didn't know any other way to 'control' my out-of control life! I would have given anything to have a Dr.Phil in my life! My kids 'understand' why their life was such a nightmare, but I don't. It was either me yelling at them, or fighting with their father. I'm not proud of the way I was and You won't be either, believe me!. Its a legacy of guilt and shame that you carry forever!

April 1, 2009, 1:29 pm CDT

After all these years

The very first memory I have of my mother is of her squeezing my hand so hard it made my cry I was 3.  The only things that I remember about my mother are all horrible.  She  never had a kind word.  She verbally, physically, mentally abused me and my sister.  The oldest sister and youngest brother were spared.  She starved us, when I was in the 6th grade i wore a size 6X, I remember looking at the tag on my clothes.  She threw hot coffee in my sisters face, blacked my eye and called us every name she could think of.  I hate this woman. She called us B*&^h, W*&(e and other lovely names.

Angry mom's please be aware that the child you are abusing now will become an adult and REMEMBER EVERY WORD you said to them.  Think of this. GET A HOLD OF YOURSELVES AND STOP

April 1, 2009, 1:59 pm CDT

04/01 Angry Moms

I was an angry person who took my frustrations out on my daughter, until one day she finally told me that she didn't tell me things that worried her because she was afraid of me.  It broke my heart to learn that the one person in the world my daughter needed was unavailable to her.  She was 14 years old then, and I never yelled at her ever again, and I learned to listen to her no matter what she had to say, good or bad, happy or sad.  She is 26 years old and is a really good person who has no fear of coming to me and telling me whatever she needs to or wants to.  So for the mom on the show today who feared it was too late to turn things around with her kids, it's not, it's never too late!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last