Message Boards

Topic : 04/16 Scary Trends: Is Your Child at Risk?

Number of Replies: 71
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 09, 2009, 06:17:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Parents, this show is appointment television! Sexting, a scary new trend where teens send nude or semi-nude photos via cell phone, is popping up throughout the country. But what kids don't realize is that this seemingly innocent act could change their lives forever. Julia recently learned that her 13-year-old daughter texted a provocative photo of herself to a boy, and he forwarded it to his friends. The situation spiraled out of control and nearly ended in tragedy. Find out why Julia says she overreacted, and learn how to approach this situation if it strikes your family. Then, Dr. Phil talks one on one with the teen. Will his words give her a new outlook on the situation? Next, Ben, 14, was threatened with charges after sending a naked photo on his cell phone. Should teens be arrested for sexting? Attorney Lisa Bloom, In Session anchor and special correspondent for BettyConfidential.com, shares her thoughts. You may be surprised to hear what she says. If you're a parent who wants to monitor your kid's cell phone and computer activity, don’t miss the newest ways to stay one step ahead of the trends. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 16, 2009, 2:58 pm CDT

sextexting

why would any mom or dad give a kid a cell phone anyway they are to young @ that age 10,11,12,13,14,15, to have one they should not have one until they have a job and pay there own bill 2 out of my 4 kids are always asking me for a cell phone and i say no way when you get a job then you can have one parents are just not being smart you give your kid a cell phone you are just asking for trouble  

April 16, 2009, 2:59 pm CDT

boys are not the only ones who should be blamed

I am the mother of 3 children two sons and one daughter and I feel that boys took a beating on the show today. Dr. Phil saying that guys talk girls into this by saying i wont like you if you don't. Please there are just as many girls just sending pictures of themselves without being pressured. Girls can come up with this idea on their own. Both are equal in blame. I was very upset after the show to feel that the guys are singled out as being the "bad" influence. My son has recieved girls pic on his phone and it was not because he asked they just send it. I have control of his phone and have print outs done weekly so I know what is coming and going on this phone which is in my name. I have also talked to him about the dangers of getting these photos and how he could be blamed for them. It is a problem that is facing all of us and boys are not just the ones asking for it. Girls are just as guilty.

April 16, 2009, 2:59 pm CDT

YEAH WHAT ABOUT THE GIRLS

My sentiments exactly!  What happens to the girls?  They are just as guilty unless someone forced them to undress and get their picture taken.

April 16, 2009, 3:04 pm CDT

So its all the boys fault?

Am sorry that this young lady decided to show her body to this boy by a picture, but why is it his fault? Next we'll be blaming the boys for all teen pregnancy and STD's, how silly, girls are just as interested in sex as boys and no one was holding a gun to her head. Yes I feel sorry for her, she made a mistake and her parents should be thankful it wasn't one that ended with a child. I believe her mother had ever right to feel ashamed just as she (the daughter) should be ashamed, shame can make us think twice about the things we do. Of course they should forgive her, but she did need to know how it impacted the family, and most likely she was already depressed why else would she do what she did to get the attention of some boy. I hope the mother sees her actions were normal so that this young lady doesn't use this to get what she wants all the time now. But it's crazy to blame the boys and I don't feel its child pron if its between children (anyone ever play doctor as a child). It takes power away from women to make us the victim of our own actions!

April 16, 2009, 3:13 pm CDT

04/16 Scary Trends: Is Your Child at Risk?

All these parents get there children cell phones. But if they didn't have cell phones how could they be sexting? Come on now..... put two and two together!!!

April 16, 2009, 3:41 pm CDT

Parenting

I am watching this show as I keyboard.  I believe I can speak from my experience as a parent whose daughter experienced a traumatic experience beyond understanding and belief.
I speak to the mother of this girl.  I am not assigning blame, just voicing my belief and opinion.
I ask her the question - Why are you feeling shame over your daughter's action?  It seems to me that if you, as an adult, with more experience than your daughter, are having these negative feelings, then you are insecure about yourself.  Yes, as parents, we all stand in the reflection of our children's successes.  However, we need to remember that they are our children's successes.  It is the same with experiences that are not so positive.

As parents we are responsible to raise the self-esteem and confidence in our children.  We should be confident enough in ourselves that we don't even think about how their actions affect us. 

I'm just listening to the mother talk about what is being done to help her daughter deal with her situation.  I think the mother would benefit from something that would give her the confidence to not feel that she is judged by other people's actions.  The mother's lack of self-confidence is passed on to her daughter.  How can the daughter have self-confidence if her most important role model doesn't have it herself.

I believe this show goes way beyond the topic of texting and speaks to how we feel about ourselves and how it is passed on to those around us.  How we feel about ourselves tells others how they can treat us.

That's enough of my diatribe.  Thanks for reading

April 16, 2009, 4:16 pm CDT

04/16 Scary Trends: Is Your Child at Risk?

Girls should be responsible for their actions.  I don't blame the boy for anything.  How stupid is somebody that would send a naked picture of themself and not expect any consequences!!!  I also believe parents should be more involved with their children and know what is going on.  It stems from the upbringing and home communication.

April 16, 2009, 5:09 pm CDT

Cell phones a privilege, not a RIGHT.....

Dr. Phil, I say parents don't need to be giving their childrens cell phones. Only a teen should have a phone and only if the parent and teen have discused the pro's and con's and the responsibility of what that cell phone would be used for. Parents should be reminded that a cell phone is not a neccessity it's a LUXURY item. Cell phones are a privilege not a right and are for adults and teens that have earned that right.

April 16, 2009, 5:19 pm CDT

show did not go far enough

What was missing form the show is a more in depth discussion of sexting as a pervasive, ongoing (not just a one time or few time incident) activity by teens. In my own child the last two months have revealed a history that includes sexting, cybersex and phone sex. By taking away one medium (the cell phone), he moved to the computer (cybersex), by taking away the cell phone, he took pictures and sent them to girls he met via the many social network sites.  We have taken away the cell phone, the computer, the iTouch, shut down email accounts and social network sites. He is now in counseling and we pray that this nice, fun--but socially isolated kid will figure out what is driving this alternate personality.

To parents--be diligent. Check your phone logs, check the google history on all computers in your home, check all cell phones. Check your child's digital camera, look at their flash drives--see what kinds of files they have on their computer. If you find one offense--it is likely their will be a trail somewhere else leading to more "discoveries".  These kids do not think we are smart enough to figure this out.  yet despite all of the diligence on our part--they have access to computers at other places, they use friends phones.....you just have to be diligent.

April 16, 2009, 6:45 pm CDT

Boys shouldnt be to blame

I don't think the boys should be to blame for sending the pictures. I will say they were wrong but the girls are the ones that put themselves into the situation to begin with. I truly believe that they knew what would happen. I would say shame on them and the boys. As far as the young lady that tried to kill herself it is a sad thing but the boy should not be to blame.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last