Message Boards

Topic : 08/17 Child with a Child

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 16, 2009, 03:20:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/20/09) Little Gabriel is just 13 months old, and he’s caught in the middle of a troubling situation. His 18-year-old mother, Meghann, lives at home with her folks and constantly fights with the rest of the family. Her parents and sister say she doesn’t pay enough attention to her child, she’s irresponsible and that she’s put Gabriel in danger. The teenage mom says her relatives just won’t give her a chance, and she needs to get out -- but how? Find out why the police paid a late night visit to the family home, and what Meghann’s mom found in Meghann’s purse that stoked her fears about Gabriel’s safety. Plus, this isn’t the only household with several generations living under one roof. If the economic downturn has driven your family into close quarters, you won’t want to miss this show! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 20, 2009, 11:32 am CDT

Teen Moms

I am on the advisory board for a home for pregnant and parenting teens.  We see so many teen mothers from the ages of 13-19 that you would not even believe it.  People do not understand the growing trend of teen pregnancy in America nor do they want too.  Our goal is to give these teen mothers a place to call home while they go through a step by step Christian program that is designed to get them on their feet and teach them what they need to know about becoming the best mother that they can be.  We help them finish high school and highly encouraged a college education.  The choice to keep their child/children is one that comes with a huge amount of responsibility and we are here to help them every step of the way. 

April 20, 2009, 12:26 pm CDT

offended

I am here to tell you as a women who lost her son 10 days after he was born when I was 17 I find it offensive that Dr. Phil said that you are his mother until one of you leaves this world. Well I am here to tell you I still consider myself a mother even 14 years after my precious son left me. Dr. Phil should choose his words better.

April 20, 2009, 12:34 pm CDT

Here's the answer.

Quote From: happytimes3

I am so tired of seeing only the young mothers beaten down for getting pregnant.  These poor girls are labeled, judged and forced to put their lives on hold for the baby.  But what about the fathers of these children?  Why are they not held accountable for their actions?  Why did Dr. Phil look at Megan and say (in so many words), "This is for you and all the other sexualy active GIRLS. . ."  Um, did we forget it takes two to tango? 

It's time for our society to start holding these hormone-happy boys accountable as well!

I can give you an answer. It's because...there are some (or many) girls & women that have sex with so many men that they can't figure out who their fathers of their children are (ever watch some talk shows with paternity tests?). A child will always know who his/her mother is, but the biological father turns out to be a different case because of them. For those that are fathers of their children, there are many of them that refuse to take care of them, & I agree with you on that part, though.

April 20, 2009, 12:42 pm CDT

These people are crazy

I am a mother to 5 children. 4 are mine a 1 of my husbands with someone else. I had my first child a 16. My mother told me this is my child and meant it. I worked at McDonald's for 2 years. I was luck my fathers wife watched her while I finished high school. But mid night feed I did, if I wanted to go out I had to find someone. No one bought me a car, or place to stay. And her father was never there. I made it and turned out to be a great mother. Somethings I would change but we are alive. This story is making me sick. This girl is 18! Let her take care of this child alone. If she is messing up so bad call CPS. If you are gonna be the babies parents then get off her case. Because you are gonna turn this poor girl into a half ass mother. Let her do it alone. I wish I could be on this show to tell these people how it should be. I have 2 friends with parents like these and they are not the best mothers they can be. 1 friend just had a new baby and now since this is the first time she has had to do it with no help (3rd child) she took a bottle of pills because it was too hard. These parent that need to do everything for these teen moms need to have their own babies. Grannd parents should give advice but not try to over rule the real parent and stop making everything so easy. Babies will not break if they make a mistake or two. Make these teen mothers grow up!

April 20, 2009, 12:47 pm CDT

I know the way you feel

Watching this show is driving me insane. I had my daughter when I was 17 as well and I wanted to get pregnant. I had a really bad relationship with my parents and when I first had her, things where great. I thought I was ready, but all I really wanted was somebody to love. It was not a good idea. I ended up getting more and more depressed and my parents were constantly being negative to me about the way I was watching her. It is clearly the wrong way to think but when all we here is awful things about ourselves...our self esteem drops and its difficult to act the 'right' way. When my daughter was 1, it was the hardest for me. All of the sudden shes this walking, talking, living being and I had to take care of her. I completely understand if Megan talks about wanting to go out and party. In those moments I felt as though my entire life was taken away from me. I felt I would be sitiing at home day after day taking care of this child, working a crap job, and I was only 18-19, not having any friends. Many of my friends have also gone through this at the same age, completely shutting down because they dont know what or where they are going with their life.

Her parents need to help her find a path to follow and help her to feel good about herself!!!! Megan is a cutter, I ended up completely unable to function as a skeleton (an awful eating disorder) and almost killed myself a few times. I just want meghan to know that it gets better! it really does! I went to a treatment centre and am now working a few jobs, getting honors in college and have an amazing relationship with my baby(shes now 4) MEGHAN NEEDS POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT!!! I still have a struggling relationship with my parents who also deny that they have nothing to do with the way my life turned out. I AM NOT SAYING IT IS OK! but it is also not meghans fault.

She needs love, she needs her parents to care for her not to talk about her behind theyre backs, and she NEEDS to be confident enough in herself to know that she can do a good job because she can!!!!!!!

April 20, 2009, 1:06 pm CDT

I am a young mother

I dont know how nobody seen this girl is depressed!!! How can any of you say anything? I am 29 yrs old now, I had my 1st at 17. It is very hard. I know how it feels for your family to be CONSTANTLY telling you what a bad job you're doing and what a bad mother you are!! I think people should stop being so self-righteous! Didn't anybody notice how demeaning her parents and sister were?

April 20, 2009, 1:09 pm CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

Quote From: cadescove99

Is paying child support. Hes in the army. Dr phil was addressing girls with unrealistic notions of motherhood.
But as he said, THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO CONSIDER THE CONSEQUENCES TO THEIR ACTIONS!!!!!

April 20, 2009, 1:12 pm CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

Quote From: princessgina

From what I have read this gal sounds very irresponsible. I was 18 when i got pregnant with my daughter and I was 19 when she was born. I married her father too. It's been tough because raising a kid isn't easy plus money can be an issue to as well. But me and my husband have stuck it out and now our baby is almost 13. She does very well in school and can sing and can draw very well. A real mom sacrifices for her kids and loves them. I have spent the last 13 years of my daughter's life doing just that.
I dont think you were perfect in knowing what to do at 19 either!!!

April 20, 2009, 1:17 pm CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

Quote From: jesuschick1214

I am on the advisory board for a home for pregnant and parenting teens.  We see so many teen mothers from the ages of 13-19 that you would not even believe it.  People do not understand the growing trend of teen pregnancy in America nor do they want too.  Our goal is to give these teen mothers a place to call home while they go through a step by step Christian program that is designed to get them on their feet and teach them what they need to know about becoming the best mother that they can be.  We help them finish high school and highly encouraged a college education.  The choice to keep their child/children is one that comes with a huge amount of responsibility and we are here to help them every step of the way. 

Good for you and your agency!  God knows these ignorant kids need all the help they can get! They sure aren't getting the information and the help they need from home BEFORE they get into trouble!

Parents aren't willing to step up and say NO to their children!  Keep them away from the media influences as much as possible....quit plopping them in front of the TV from the time they can hold their head up, using it as a babysitter.....limit their time on computers and give them the kind of cell phone that doesn't take pictures and doesn't have texting....in other words,  PARENT your kids, know what they are up to, and, for God's sake, TALK to them, ask them questions, know their friends, be involved in their lives instead of being so self-involved and worrying about what YOU want.

We have a nation of kids raising themselves, and bullying their guilt-ridden clueless parents into giving them STUFF instead of love, time, attention and the kind of parenting that takes time and effort and is NOT easy!!...and the result is what you see: a huge rise in teen pregnancy. When they don't get the love, time and attention at home they will turn to the nearest hairy-legged boy who tells them what they want to hear. 

The media (and their peers) say it's cool.... the gullible kids believe it...and the clueless parents don't take the time or make the effort to step in between them and that garbage and get real with the kids!   

April 20, 2009, 1:19 pm CDT

A QUESTION FOR MEGHANN'S PARENTS:

I have one simple question for you complaining parents of this irresponsible young woman:

WHO RAISED THIS MESS?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last