Message Boards

Topic : 08/17 Child with a Child

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 16, 2009, 03:20:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/20/09) Little Gabriel is just 13 months old, and he’s caught in the middle of a troubling situation. His 18-year-old mother, Meghann, lives at home with her folks and constantly fights with the rest of the family. Her parents and sister say she doesn’t pay enough attention to her child, she’s irresponsible and that she’s put Gabriel in danger. The teenage mom says her relatives just won’t give her a chance, and she needs to get out -- but how? Find out why the police paid a late night visit to the family home, and what Meghann’s mom found in Meghann’s purse that stoked her fears about Gabriel’s safety. Plus, this isn’t the only household with several generations living under one roof. If the economic downturn has driven your family into close quarters, you won’t want to miss this show! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 20, 2009, 2:07 pm CDT

mother

Quote From: cadescove99

Is paying child support. Hes in the army. Dr phil was addressing girls with unrealistic notions of motherhood.
I started out having children when is was 19 on my own. I did it all on my own ow gosh it was hard but he is still alive.  Just wanted her to know hang in there i know how hard it is.  You should get some help like counsaling work on you self and try to get the help you need and get your  selfasteem up and then you will become more better to your self and your child.  I am a mother of 3 know and still single and have cronick deprestion and exiety . But i am still in there and trying everyday to improve myself and of course my chi ldren. I am still in counsaling trying to become a better person. Just thought to try to give you some positive help and just reach out and get help and then you will be able to be on your own.

April 20, 2009, 2:16 pm CDT

Mother at 20

I was 19 When i got pregnant with my daughter and 20 when i had her. I had some of the emoations that meghann has i wanted to party and be able to be with my friends but i love my daughter so much that i decided god gave me her for a reason and there is now no room for partyin in my life. I still go out everynow and then but right now my main focus is to get an education so i can take care of my daughter. I had to do alot of grownin up this past year of my life because i have a daughter and now my little sister was in a car wreck and my mom (who i still live with) has to be gone for the next several months with my sister and i have to now take care of my daughter and my other babysister who is still in high school. Meghann ur not the only young single mother out there hunny...u just need to grow up and accept what you have and be a great mother to him. he is a beautiful little boy.

April 20, 2009, 2:21 pm CDT

child with a child

Quote From: cndrlla

I have one simple question for you complaining parents of this irresponsible young woman:

WHO RAISED THIS MESS?

April 20, 2009, 2:52 pm CDT

Appalling

I am appalled to hear the parents of this girl make light of the names they've called her.  There is no excuse for name-calling, nor should they be discussing her with other family members. These people need to grow up.

April 20, 2009, 3:03 pm CDT

To Gabriel's BIOLOGICAL mother (Child With A Child

I am absolutely furious with today's guest Meghann.  First I want to start out by saying you have not earned the right to call yourself a mother.  I was 18 when I had my son and 17 when I got pregnant.  I know first hand how hard it is to be a young parent.  I agree with Dr. Phil, you chose to make an adult decision by having sex.  I know that a child's brain doesn't develop fully by the age of 18, however; this is not the 30s.  We start learning about sex and pregnancy by fourth or fifth grade.  Even at 17 I was aware of the possible consequences when I chose to have sex.  I was irresponsible and careless I will admit that.  Once I became pregnant I looked into the different options and I chose to have my son.  That was my decision not my parents'.  Once you choose to become a parent the only thing that should matter is your child.  I lived in WV with my aunt when I became pregnant.  When I was four months pregnant we had a falling out and she kicked me out of her home.  My parents lived in OH at the time, so I didn't readily have a place to go.  I knew that I needed to graduate high school (which I was schedued to do so three months later), so I chose to stay with my fiancee's cousin.  That was a big mistake.  She was a drug addict and a terrible mother to her own children.  One month later, despite the fact that we were helping pay the bills, her heat got shut off and that was the last straw.  I called my parents and we (me and my fiancee) moved to OH.  Here I was 17 about to have a baby with no high school education and no job.  So we did what any good parents would do.  We lived with my parents for 10 months and during that time we got our GED and jobs and moved out on our own.  We chose to be adults and it was time to act like it and take care of our responsibility.  You cannot expect to be called mom Meghann if you are not being the mom.  Take care of your responsibilities and grow up.  You claim to be depressed, imagine being your parents.  They are mentally, physically, and financially supporting you and the baby and you repay them with disrespect.  What is wrong with you.  If you don't like their rules, try getting a job and a place to live and get out. Most importantly start taking care of Gabriel and if you don't want to do so then sign on the dotted line and let someone give that child a chance in life.  Sitting on your butt and complaining about it will get you no where.

April 20, 2009, 3:12 pm CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

Quote From: kims99

You can only give the parents partial blame.  She is an adult and needs to start behaving like one. 

April 20, 2009, 3:23 pm CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

This show is like a repeat in history for me.  I had the mother in this story.  I was 18 and had a baby.  My mother spent nearly everyday criticizing me.  I could never do anything well enough to satisfy her.

I left home and managed to marry and raise three children just fine.  I actually did better than my mother. i achieved a higher education than she did and have a career.  She never worked outside of the home but spent the first few years that I was out of the home telling me how she had more responsibility in the tip of her pinky than I had in my whole body.

I was a young mother, working full time, going to college at night, and she still had to make herself feel better by making me miserable.  This young lady needs to take her baby and get away from her parents.

April 20, 2009, 3:26 pm CDT

Stay Strong.

Honestly . in my opinion. This 18 yea-old mother does need to step up and try a little harder to raise her baby. Of course you are going to have thoughts of partying and going out with your friends but you will realise that your baby needs you more then the local party does. Now, even though you can't go party all night long doesn't mean you shouldn't get a babysitter once and a while to go out with a couple friends. You need to  have a little time by your self maybe once every two weeks because giving yourself time to relax and relieve stress is going to make your babys life less stressful as well. And Her parents need to realise its Meagan's baby and they need to step back  and let her take that step forwarded with responsibilitie . In the home video the sister wouldn't give the baby to the mother when her arms were out for him. Back up little sister and be the aunt not the mother. the family can't except someone to go both ways you want her to raise her own child then let her and stop steping in the way. Meagan your baby boy is adorable and has the brightest, cutest smile ever. Stay strong you can do it . AND Your son will thank you in the end. Meagan prove yourself to your family and then move out i think once you prove yourself to yourself that you can in fact do this mothering on your own , it will be healthier  for all of you for you to move out but still stay close by.

:)

April 20, 2009, 3:30 pm CDT

Hang in there, Meghann!

The show today reminded me so much of myself, I just had to write.  Like Meghann, I had my first child at 18.  And like Meghann, I was a "cutter".  I also lived with my family after having my son and experienced much of the same turmoil as Meghann.  My parents, especially my mother, encouraged me to keep my son (thank God) but after he was born it was a different story.  I too was constantly criticized and belittled by my family.  I was told on a regular basis that I was a bad mother.  The look on Meghann's face today says it all.  When the people who are supposed to love and support you instead belittle and berate you, you become defeated.  And I would like her family to know that when a person hurts so bad inside that they're willing to inflict physical pain on themselves, they are not attention seeking.  Meghann is wounded and needs your understanding.  Motherhood doesn't happen automatically, especially when you're still a baby yourself.  I am thirty years old now and I'm still learning how to be a good mom.  What is needed is patience and loving guidance.  I just want Meghann to know that even though you're young, you can be a good mother.  It's not an easy road, you must raise a child while you're still growing up yourself but you can do it.  My son is 12 now and we've grown up together. I'm married to an incredible man who is also a wonderful father.  I am a stay at home mom and my sons are my life.  I had no idea what I was doing at 18 and I'm sure I had no business having a baby  but it was the best thing that has ever or will ever happen to me.  Hang in there, Meghann!  You can do it!  God Bless!

April 20, 2009, 3:38 pm CDT

It's never easy but you do it anyway

I had my first child when I was 20.  It was a planned pregnancy, I was married and we had our own house.  I don't know if anyone is ever prepared for the life changes a child brings, but when you have a baby your life changes, and you need to be able to roll with the highs and lows.   

I now have five children, the last two are twins.  You just have to do what you have to do and you can no longer be selfish.  Everything needs to be about ensuring this child's needs are met.  This girl needs help, and I don't mean doing everything for her.  If she is going to live with her parents there should be conditions. 

I wonder if sometimes she assumes her parents will just deal with the baby if she waits long enough, kind of like when I wait to see if my husband will get the crying baby if I pretend to be asleep.  It's not easy being a mother but it is probably the most rewarding experience I have had times 5.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last