Message Boards

Topic : 08/17 Child with a Child

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 16, 2009, 03:20:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/20/09) Little Gabriel is just 13 months old, and he’s caught in the middle of a troubling situation. His 18-year-old mother, Meghann, lives at home with her folks and constantly fights with the rest of the family. Her parents and sister say she doesn’t pay enough attention to her child, she’s irresponsible and that she’s put Gabriel in danger. The teenage mom says her relatives just won’t give her a chance, and she needs to get out -- but how? Find out why the police paid a late night visit to the family home, and what Meghann’s mom found in Meghann’s purse that stoked her fears about Gabriel’s safety. Plus, this isn’t the only household with several generations living under one roof. If the economic downturn has driven your family into close quarters, you won’t want to miss this show! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 17, 2009, 5:20 pm CDT

too young to have a baby

im still surprized that kids are having kids.whats wrong with their mothers.i dont think that mother;s talk to their kids enough.and thats why they have a baby too soon.i think when their that young they dont know how to look after a baby at all.what expericence do they have.how will they look after them yeah i know their parents.why do their parents want to look after a baby again.i had mine i wouldnt want to look after kids and my kids too.thats not my job.but i for one would have talked to my kids about what can happen.,i mean i know that even if you do talk to your kids it still can happen im not out to lunch.but i do think its our job to make sure this does;nt happen to our kids.im not saying i wouldnt look after the baby im saying its our job not to let this happen,

August 17, 2009, 5:25 pm CDT

08/17 Child with a Child

I feel teenages with a child have already made the worst decision of their short lifes. And they are only in their teens. I don't know how the parents can let this happen.

August 17, 2009, 5:51 pm CDT

No one is perfect

Quote From: molissa1979

I dont think you were perfect in knowing what to do at 19 either!!!
To my knowlege, princessgina never said her life as a teenage mother was peaches and cream. She even admitted there were tough times.  Anyone who has been a teenage mother or seen the life of their sibling as a teenage mother knows better.  Some have more patience than others.  And those who don't have patience with kids shouldn't have them.

August 17, 2009, 7:29 pm CDT

08/17 Child with a Child

Quote From: liz48116

You can only give the parents partial blame.  She is an adult and needs to start behaving like one. 

I agree with you.  However, if we think about it Megann did "behave like an adult" and her son is the consequence of her behavior.  Now, she wants to go back to being a care-free kid. 

I wish I understood sexually active teens who wind up pregnant, then say it wasn't in their "plans." 

***NOTE TO ALL TEENS, MALE AND FEMALE***

Don't depend on contraceptives; they're not 100 proof. Wait until you know for sure you're ready emotionally, financially, and make sure you're in a relationship for the long haul before you take the steps to POSSIBLY becoming a parent UNEXPECTEDLY.  Every child deserves two parents that love one another.  Please no one take offense, I know Megann stated the father of her baby is in the army fighting for our freedom.  I extend my gratitude to him, by the way.  I'm talking about all of those that have meaningless sex, wind up pregnant or getting someone pregnant, then going their separate ways.

August 18, 2009, 11:38 am CDT

08/17 Child with a Child

Quote From: mickeyglidey

I feel teenages with a child have already made the worst decision of their short lifes. And they are only in their teens. I don't know how the parents can let this happen.

Well, respectfully speaking as the sister of a teenage mother, I can say our parents didn't "let it happen." Our parents raised us by the Bible and The Golden Rule; all three of us girls were also taught to save ourselves until marriage. And when I say, "we were taught" I mean we had no other choice.  In spite of our raising, my middle sister, made the choice to start her family at 18. She and the baby's father celebrated their 16th wedding anniversary this year. My niece just turned 16 and I can't imagine life any other way.  She's my best friend! 

For teens in general, whether or not the decision to to keep their baby was good or bad depends on the type of person they are.  What I mean that is, if they can acknowledge that life is no longer about them, it's now about the baby they created, then I'd say they're on the right track for the road they chose.  However, if they're the type to pass off their responsibility to whoever is willing to pick up the slack, then they have no business raising a child, because they expect others to do it for them.  I do agree with you though.  Most teens now days are irresponsible and selfish and should think about the repercussions of their actions before it's too late.

August 18, 2009, 2:04 pm CDT

Dr. Phil, you so got it with this young child mother

How touching it was to see how you "heard " that young mom, she is depleted, and her family was putting so many demands on her...thank you for providing her with what she needs to get her life on track.

I've had challenges like her but doubled as I had two severly disabled children, plus one "normal"  son....and I was young, and only now can I refkect back and realize what I was dealing with then.  I've had to figure it out on my own, gain my own coping skills, what a journey it's been. Thanks for helping her up. The relief on her face brought tears to my eyes.

Bless You.

August 18, 2009, 2:40 pm CDT

08/17 Child with a Child

My only concern is for this poor child. The teenage mother is unfit to be alone with the kid who would probably be dead in a month. Isn't funny how everyone in her situation on these types of shows doesn't know how they became pregnant because they were practicing birth control...what bull...I've never heard one say anything different.

August 18, 2009, 2:47 pm CDT

08/17 Child with a Child

Quote From: niccolel

This girls parents need to be evaluated as well. This girl has plenty to figure out for sure. The parents show no love or emotion towards her. The only thing I pick up from the parents is almost a hatred. I am so glad that this was brought to Dr. Phil's attention, cause this could of been another little Caylee case. You cannot as a grandparent try to take over every single act of being a parent without positive reinforcement for the Mother herself. The daughter really needs help, but so do her parents. To just laugh off a suicide and also to make fun of her cutting. My personal opinion is for her to get her self into check and check her independence out of such a negative household. I thought that her Mother was going to grinned her teeth right out of her head when looking and speaking of her daughter. Im praying for them all.
And what kind of positive reinforcement would you give this lazy girl? I'm sure her parents tried that. But, I guess at some point, one becomes completely disgusted when they see this day after day after day. Perhaps you could take her

August 18, 2009, 2:48 pm CDT

08/17 Child with a Child

Quote From: mozone

How touching it was to see how you "heard " that young mom, she is depleted, and her family was putting so many demands on her...thank you for providing her with what she needs to get her life on track.

I've had challenges like her but doubled as I had two severly disabled children, plus one "normal"  son....and I was young, and only now can I refkect back and realize what I was dealing with then.  I've had to figure it out on my own, gain my own coping skills, what a journey it's been. Thanks for helping her up. The relief on her face brought tears to my eyes.

Bless You.
Yes, isn't it terrible that her family expected her to wake up once and a while to take care of her child. what a horrible thing!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page