Message Boards

Topic : 08/17 Child with a Child

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 16, 2009, 03:20:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/20/09) Little Gabriel is just 13 months old, and he’s caught in the middle of a troubling situation. His 18-year-old mother, Meghann, lives at home with her folks and constantly fights with the rest of the family. Her parents and sister say she doesn’t pay enough attention to her child, she’s irresponsible and that she’s put Gabriel in danger. The teenage mom says her relatives just won’t give her a chance, and she needs to get out -- but how? Find out why the police paid a late night visit to the family home, and what Meghann’s mom found in Meghann’s purse that stoked her fears about Gabriel’s safety. Plus, this isn’t the only household with several generations living under one roof. If the economic downturn has driven your family into close quarters, you won’t want to miss this show! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 17, 2009, 1:46 pm CDT

23 year old single mother of 2 beautiful boys

I had my oldest son when I was a senior in high school. At the time I had been with my boyfriend for 4 years and I was also taking classes at the University in my town. I managed to graduate high school with a 95 average and pass my college classes with a B average.  This situation really makes me angry.  Even if this girl was not ready to have a baby she was still having sex and it happend. She needs to take responsibility for her actions and grow up. Whether she is ready or not to grow up it has to happen.  A baby is not a toy.  It just breaks my heart.  I had to grow up and take responsibility for my actions.  I do not live off of the system either. I work a full time job at an insurance agency and am working to get my agent license.  She needs to put her child first and stop being so selfish. And if she cant then she doesnt deserve to be called a mother.

April 17, 2009, 7:49 pm CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

Quote From: javrocy

I had my oldest son when I was a senior in high school. At the time I had been with my boyfriend for 4 years and I was also taking classes at the University in my town. I managed to graduate high school with a 95 average and pass my college classes with a B average.  This situation really makes me angry.  Even if this girl was not ready to have a baby she was still having sex and it happend. She needs to take responsibility for her actions and grow up. Whether she is ready or not to grow up it has to happen.  A baby is not a toy.  It just breaks my heart.  I had to grow up and take responsibility for my actions.  I do not live off of the system either. I work a full time job at an insurance agency and am working to get my agent license.  She needs to put her child first and stop being so selfish. And if she cant then she doesnt deserve to be called a mother.
I couldn`t agree more.

April 18, 2009, 7:22 am CDT

Not a Mother

This girl might be a "Mother" in name only, but real Mothers nurture, love, protect  their children.  If this girl does not do that, she only had a baby, she didn't become a Mother. Real Mothers don't pawn those jobs off on the child's grandparents or others.   It sounds like this girl made the wrong decision when she elected to have & keep her baby.  She had options....one was giving the child up for adoption to someone who was mature, emotionally & financially stable, & who could give this baby all he would need to grow up to be a good citizen.  It's not fair for the parents of the teen girl who becomes pregnant & decides to keep the baby, to have to literally raise the child for her & watch the teen just get more & more dependent and defiant too.  I believe that sometimes a child would be better off if adopted, even if the child is a year old.  These people have to decide honestly what is truly best for the child & no one else.  It might be painful & humiliating, but the child deserves better.

April 20, 2009, 7:00 am CDT

doesn't mean a thing!

I was 17  when I found out that I was pregnant,I was 18 when I had my son..he is my world! Yes it was hard,but I made it work. He is a very smart 12 yr old. Yes it's true some people who are 18 can not and should not be mothers,but guess what? The same can go for someone that is 30! You can have "adults" acting the same way that this 18 year old is. Age is nothing but a number!

April 20, 2009, 7:04 am CDT

What about the father????

I am so tired of seeing only the young mothers beaten down for getting pregnant.  These poor girls are labeled, judged and forced to put their lives on hold for the baby.  But what about the fathers of these children?  Why are they not held accountable for their actions?  Why did Dr. Phil look at Megan and say (in so many words), "This is for you and all the other sexualy active GIRLS. . ."  Um, did we forget it takes two to tango? 

It's time for our society to start holding these hormone-happy boys accountable as well!

April 20, 2009, 7:20 am CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

Quote From: happytimes3

I am so tired of seeing only the young mothers beaten down for getting pregnant.  These poor girls are labeled, judged and forced to put their lives on hold for the baby.  But what about the fathers of these children?  Why are they not held accountable for their actions?  Why did Dr. Phil look at Megan and say (in so many words), "This is for you and all the other sexualy active GIRLS. . ."  Um, did we forget it takes two to tango? 

It's time for our society to start holding these hormone-happy boys accountable as well!

Dr phil tells the girls this because they bear the brunt of unprotected sex. Pregnancy. And some girls are so promiscuous they do not know who got them pregnant.

April 20, 2009, 7:32 am CDT

Gabriel`s father

Quote From: happytimes3

Is paying child support. He`s in the army. Dr phil was addressing girls with unrealistic notions of motherhood.

April 20, 2009, 7:57 am CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

there is no reason why this young women cant be a full time mother and student. my husband is deployed and we have a 14 month old son who sometimes is a handful but i deal with everday life and go to school and raise my son the best that i can. if the father really wants to be in his son's life he would be there unless hes deployed. her family shouldnt enable her, they should be there for her and let her raise her son on her own and make the mistakes that every parent does sometimes. if shes really willing to be with her sons father there should be a frg ( family readiness group) that she can contact for help and support. the military helps family physically and mentally.

April 20, 2009, 9:10 am CDT

"Mother" in Name Only

Quote From: kaysquare

This girl might be a "Mother" in name only, but real Mothers nurture, love, protect  their children.  If this girl does not do that, she only had a baby, she didn't become a Mother. Real Mothers don't pawn those jobs off on the child's grandparents or others.   It sounds like this girl made the wrong decision when she elected to have & keep her baby.  She had options....one was giving the child up for adoption to someone who was mature, emotionally & financially stable, & who could give this baby all he would need to grow up to be a good citizen.  It's not fair for the parents of the teen girl who becomes pregnant & decides to keep the baby, to have to literally raise the child for her & watch the teen just get more & more dependent and defiant too.  I believe that sometimes a child would be better off if adopted, even if the child is a year old.  These people have to decide honestly what is truly best for the child & no one else.  It might be painful & humiliating, but the child deserves better.

I wholeheartedly agree with your quote.  "Real" mothers do nurture, love, protect and bond with their children.  I have an eleven yr old granddaughter I have raised  for a drug addicted 42 yr old daughter.  For the past several years the daughter was able to hold down a job, had an automobile, apartment, boyfriends and the dope while grandpa and I raised the child.  We (the grandparents) are 68 and 78, worked all our lives and planned to retire and live a quiet, peaceful life doing things we enjoy.  Don't get me wrong, I love my granddaughter with all my heart and will do for her as long as there is breath in my body but the situation my daughter has created is so unfair to us and the child.  Now, the daughter has finally lost everything due to her drugging and is back in our house.  I understand the mother on today's show when she said she could hardly stand to look at her daughter.  I feel the same way.  I saw so many similarites in today's show and the life we are living... big difference is my daughter is 42 and not a teenager.  I hate to sound so negative but, after all these years I don't have much hope for our situation getting any better.  I pray that my husband and I will live long enough to get our granddaughter grown and on her own two feet where she never has to rely on her mother.

April 20, 2009, 11:21 am CDT

04/20 Child with a Child

From what I have read this gal sounds very irresponsible. I was 18 when i got pregnant with my daughter and I was 19 when she was born. I married her father too. It's been tough because raising a kid isn't easy plus money can be an issue to as well. But me and my husband have stuck it out and now our baby is almost 13. She does very well in school and can sing and can draw very well. A real mom sacrifices for her kids and loves them. I have spent the last 13 years of my daughter's life doing just that.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last