Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 How to Get to "I Do"

Number of Replies: 32
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:43:37 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/24/09) For many girls, a fairytale wedding day is a sweet fantasy -- but getting the proposal can be a real nightmare! Amber and Rich are struggling through commitment issues. They live, work and have children together, and say they're happy but can't seem to take the next step. Rich sold Amber on his plan to marry her after five years, so why hasn't he proposed after nearly seven? Does he have valid reasons for resisting marriage? After Dr. Phil challenges him, will Rich decide to walk down the aisle ... on Dr. Phil's stage? Next, Jill has taken the leap and been divorced seven times. Why does she pick the wrong men, and what can she do to make her next union last? Then, Candy describes her first marriage as lasting 18 miserable years, and she regrets how she poisoned her daughters against men during that time. What will it take to change her daughter, who calls herself the Runaway Bride? Plus, a don't-miss moment happens in Dr. Phil's audience! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 24, 2009, 4:03 pm CDT

Happy

I was so moved by this couple getting married today, Amber seems to be such a lovely lady, beautiful smile, and such a good sense of humour.

I am sure they will be happy, God bless them. I actually had a tear in my eye. Cheers John.

April 24, 2009, 4:36 pm CDT

Jill, the wayward preacher`s kid

Jill believes in marriage? She sure doesn`t believe in staying married. Justifies her multiple marriages by being too moral to be in a relationship without getting married. How would she explain her affair then? My father said preacher`s kids always behaved the worst!

April 24, 2009, 4:48 pm CDT

Wedding dress?

Quote From: anne124

I'm soooooo glad Rich made the RIGHT decision to marry Amber.  He's been foolish.  She seems like a WONDERFUL catch!!  Can't tell you how happy I was that he did her right, and didn't blow it!!!!  Doc Phil said everything right, Rich was lying like past wives.   Rich just gave his kids a brighter future...they need to see his commitment to this lovelyyyy woman, their Mom.  I don't think Rich realized how he was teaching his CHILDREN how to be treated, by not being willing to marry his children's Mom.  Cried when the ceremony took place.  Sappy me.  The vows were genuinely felt.  A memorable wedding with Doc Phil.  Only wish they had a wedding dress waiting for her. :(  But, oh well.... Hawaii works! :)  Amber and Rich...enjoy your lives together.  Marriage won't ever "sour" if you stay commited to it, and you communicate your feelings with each other...always.   (((hugs)))) to the both of ya.  Rich, you done good finally.  LOL   Sincere wishes,  Anne of MI
Amber was already appropriately dressed for a second wedding. She already wore the fancy dress for her first wedding. Another fancy dress makes no sense when you`ve been living tngether for over six years.

April 24, 2009, 4:51 pm CDT

i CAN UNDERSTAND

I can relate to the young woman about commitment with her Mom's track record. My mom has been married 4 times and I run at the first sign of a man getting that close to me. My mom has taught me that no man can be trusted. I know I have throw away some great men over the years but...fear takes over. My mom has been beaten, fooled around on and just treated very badly by most of the men in her life. She is now happily married for over 12 years, I am still alone. I left our home town over 10 years ago, last month I went home for a visit, I reconnected with the 1 man I have never been able to forget. I am now moving back home to see what will happen.

April 24, 2009, 4:54 pm CDT

I agree with you

Quote From: sweetjohn

Sorry to disagree with you, I think that they were both happy, I didn't see Dr. Phil twisting their arms.

God Bless them, I am so happy for this beautiful couple.  Cheers John.

All she wanted was a simple wedding to seal their commitment. I thoght her outfit was gorgeous for a second wedding.

April 24, 2009, 5:32 pm CDT

Great job Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil you are the bomb!!!!  That was a beautiful wedding ceremony.

i'm getting married August 15th, 2009, I can't wait!!!!

Love your show!!!!

Ruth

April 24, 2009, 5:43 pm CDT

Commitment phobic

Quote From: ggkookie

I can relate to the young woman about commitment with her Mom's track record. My mom has been married 4 times and I run at the first sign of a man getting that close to me. My mom has taught me that no man can be trusted. I know I have throw away some great men over the years but...fear takes over. My mom has been beaten, fooled around on and just treated very badly by most of the men in her life. She is now happily married for over 12 years, I am still alone. I left our home town over 10 years ago, last month I went home for a visit, I reconnected with the 1 man I have never been able to forget. I am now moving back home to see what will happen.

I wish you all the best, hope you finally find some happiness.  I know how you feel, the last woman I was with was my soul mate. We broke up a year ago, and I still think about her. This topic today is so right on for me, because I am 55 and never been married, talk about commitment phobic. You look up this word in the dictionary and you will see my face there. We were together for seven years, and never even lived togehter. I have had a few live in situations.  Anyway Dr. Phil you said it on the show, sometimes you just have to go ahead and do it. Like the Nike ad said: just do it.  I just hope it isn't to late for me, however when I do meet the next love of my life I am going to get married. Wow that feels really good to get all of this off my chest. If there is anybody who is a believer reading this, please say a little prayer for me.

Cheers John. God Bless

April 24, 2009, 6:56 pm CDT

04/24 How to Get to "I Do"

Quote From: taloolah

I am aghast!  That poor couple to be put on the spot like that!  I am sure the girl wanted a nice wedding with family, especially their children present.  How inconsiderate of Dr. Phil and Robin to give them such a sterile ceremony.  I am angry for them.

Hi, I'm Amber, the girl from the show.  And I just wanted to share a few thoughts.  Please don't feel angry at Dr. Phil and Robin, we are the most grateful for every bit of the entire experience.  We both certainly were on the spot.  But if you only knew us and knew our whole story, you would understand that this, even though an untraditional wedding, was the perfect start for our marriage.  Everyone we know is sharing how they've never seen us so happy before.  It's been a great start!  As for our children, we are incorporating them, because without a doubt, they are our priority in life.  We are having a wedding "reception" bringing all of our family and friends together to share this awesome moment, and "our family" is the focus.  As far as the comment regarding a sterile ceremony.  Yes...it was unexpected and unplanned.  But as the wedding started, we honostly felt "in the moment".  We genuinlly love each each other.  The sad thing is that people expect everyone to be perfect, and our relationship works because we love each other through thick and thin.

Much Love (for Dr. Phil & Robin),

Amber & Rich

April 24, 2009, 8:27 pm CDT

04/24 How to Get to "I Do"

Quote From: mama2ark

Hi, I'm Amber, the girl from the show.  And I just wanted to share a few thoughts.  Please don't feel angry at Dr. Phil and Robin, we are the most grateful for every bit of the entire experience.  We both certainly were on the spot.  But if you only knew us and knew our whole story, you would understand that this, even though an untraditional wedding, was the perfect start for our marriage.  Everyone we know is sharing how they've never seen us so happy before.  It's been a great start!  As for our children, we are incorporating them, because without a doubt, they are our priority in life.  We are having a wedding "reception" bringing all of our family and friends together to share this awesome moment, and "our family" is the focus.  As far as the comment regarding a sterile ceremony.  Yes...it was unexpected and unplanned.  But as the wedding started, we honostly felt "in the moment".  We genuinlly love each each other.  The sad thing is that people expect everyone to be perfect, and our relationship works because we love each other through thick and thin.

Much Love (for Dr. Phil & Robin),

Amber & Rich

I thought your cute little dress and jacket were just perfect for a surprise wedding. So, how was hawaii?

April 25, 2009, 5:05 am CDT

Surprised

During the segment of the show where the couple was being married by the Baptist preacher I noticed that the clause "and forsaking all others" was upsettingly missing from the vows. Is this something new?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next | Last