Message Boards

Topic : 08/24 How to Get to "I Do"

Number of Replies: 32
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:43:37 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/24/09) For many girls, a fairytale wedding day is a sweet fantasy -- but getting the proposal can be a real nightmare! Amber and Rich are struggling through commitment issues. They live, work and have children together, and say they're happy but can't seem to take the next step. Rich sold Amber on his plan to marry her after five years, so why hasn't he proposed after nearly seven? Does he have valid reasons for resisting marriage? After Dr. Phil challenges him, will Rich decide to walk down the aisle ... on Dr. Phil's stage? Next, Jill has taken the leap and been divorced seven times. Why does she pick the wrong men, and what can she do to make her next union last? Then, Candy describes her first marriage as lasting 18 miserable years, and she regrets how she poisoned her daughters against men during that time. What will it take to change her daughter, who calls herself the Runaway Bride? Plus, a don't-miss moment happens in Dr. Phil's audience! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2009, 1:09 pm CDT

Jill

Should forget about getting married again. Or she will probably be back next season. Planning her ninth!

April 21, 2009, 1:18 pm CDT

Patti stanger said it best

Why buy the cow when you are already getting all that free milk? When a woman puts the cart before the horse, moving in and having children, it is awfully hard to get a man to propose.

April 24, 2009, 7:15 am CDT

Oh, come on, dr phil!

Give me a break! Blame the man as usual? You might be scoring points with some women. But mot with me! Candy`s husband didn`t put that chip on her dauggter`s shoulder. She did. By staying married and playing the poor hapless victim all those years.

April 24, 2009, 7:45 am CDT

what the hec?

Okay...so I get why the lady that has been married 7 times is afraid of being lonely.  I think Dr. Phil is getting her on the right track.  Being alone is okay.  I have been alone since my divorce more than 10 years ago.  Finding another person to make you happy is a bad idea.  Happiness is intrinsic.  It has to be present in you and then maybe you can reach out and be a good addition to another individual and maybe then, after time, be a good couple. 

What I am confused about is where she found all these single men!  Geez...I never meet any single men and can't figure out how.  She is an attractive lady but not a raving beauty?  I am an okay looking middle aged person...not disgusting to look at :)   so where are these men?  How do I meet one?

Okay...that's enough.  Thanks for the chance to speak my mind.

April 24, 2009, 8:02 am CDT

Cried over Amber and Rich's Wedding...

I'm soooooo glad Rich made the RIGHT decision to marry Amber.  He's been foolish.  She seems like a WONDERFUL catch!!  Can't tell you how happy I was that he did her right, and didn't blow it!!!!  Doc Phil said everything right, Rich was lying like past wives.   Rich just gave his kids a brighter future...they need to see his commitment to this lovelyyyy woman, their Mom.  I don't think Rich realized how he was teaching his CHILDREN how to be treated, by not being willing to marry his children's Mom.  Cried when the ceremony took place.  Sappy me.  The vows were genuinely felt.  A memorable wedding with Doc Phil.  Only wish they had a wedding dress waiting for her. :(  But, oh well.... Hawaii works! :)  Amber and Rich...enjoy your lives together.  Marriage won't ever "sour" if you stay commited to it, and you communicate your feelings with each other...always.   (((hugs)))) to the both of ya.  Rich, you done good finally.  LOL   Sincere wishes,  Anne of MI

April 24, 2009, 10:19 am CDT

Put yourself in a target rich environment?

Quote From: jennifererp

Okay...so I get why the lady that has been married 7 times is afraid of being lonely.  I think Dr. Phil is getting her on the right track.  Being alone is okay.  I have been alone since my divorce more than 10 years ago.  Finding another person to make you happy is a bad idea.  Happiness is intrinsic.  It has to be present in you and then maybe you can reach out and be a good addition to another individual and maybe then, after time, be a good couple. 

What I am confused about is where she found all these single men!  Geez...I never meet any single men and can't figure out how.  She is an attractive lady but not a raving beauty?  I am an okay looking middle aged person...not disgusting to look at :)   so where are these men?  How do I meet one?

Okay...that's enough.  Thanks for the chance to speak my mind.

That would bd dr phil`s suggestion. Is there something you like to do that mem would enjoy too? Start there maybe?

April 24, 2009, 10:58 am CDT

Marriage and Relationships

I find this post most interesting, especially what struck me most is the concept of women in families who are older, miserably married and teach either their daughters or other women relatives to hate men. I know that there were some women in my family like this, older women, who were absolutely nuts and trying to pass for normal, fear-mongering about men, teaching the younger women how bad men are, etc. I think such women are demons and they should be locked away. Unfortunately, most of the time, nobody locks them away; they just remain on the loose. I know this sounds funny but it's not. I can attest to one particular great-aunt of mine who was this way, poisoning the younger women's minds to hate men. It spread like wildfire and the younger girls ended up repressed. This aunt's son became a psychologist and sometimes I wonder if the reason was to treat his crazy mother. Anyway, she was a very harmful person and taught the other mothers pure hatred of men.  Further, cultural male crackpots also teach women to hate men so the women from their cultures don't go out with men of other cultures and the women just end up submissive and very miserable. In this case, it's better if you're one of these women, to stay alone or to become a lawyer so no one messes around with you. If I had to start my life over again, I would become a scientist and also get a law degree at Harvard Law School.

April 24, 2009, 12:41 pm CDT

What to do?

I'm so glad they got married! This problem has really hit home with me. I have known my fiance since I was 12 years old and we have been friends forever. We have been together for almost 2 years and engaged for a year and a half. We got engaged 7 months after getting together. Everytime I bring up getting married he replies that he dosent see a need that were happy and together and he dosent want to ruin what we have. He says hes totally commited and he's put a ring on my finger but he wont take the next step to get married! He told me recently he dosent even know if he wants to get married. We live together and have no children and are both only 25 and neither one of us has been married before. I just dont understand why he purposed and now hes avoiding the situation. Were young and I'm not in any hurry to get married but I just want him to set a date even if it's 5 years down the line. I feel like he just dosent want to grow up. Any suggestion?

April 24, 2009, 2:25 pm CDT

That Was SO Wrong!

I am aghast!  That poor couple to be put on the spot like that!  I am sure the girl wanted a nice wedding with family, especially their children present.  How inconsiderate of Dr. Phil and Robin to give them such a sterile ceremony.  I am angry for them.

April 24, 2009, 4:01 pm CDT

happy

Quote From: taloolah

I am aghast!  That poor couple to be put on the spot like that!  I am sure the girl wanted a nice wedding with family, especially their children present.  How inconsiderate of Dr. Phil and Robin to give them such a sterile ceremony.  I am angry for them.

Sorry to disagree with you, I think that they were both happy, I didn't see Dr. Phil twisting their arms.

God Bless them, I am so happy for this beautiful couple.  Cheers John.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last