Message Boards

Topic : 04/23 How to Escape a Bad Marriage

Number of Replies: 26
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:45:51 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If you're a woman living in constant fear of an abusive mate, Dr. Phil dedicates this show to you. He documents the tumultuous journey of a mother of four who flees to a shelter to escape what she says is a violent marriage. When Star last appeared on the show, she admitted that she was addicted to prescription drugs and was unfaithful to her husband, Isaac. Now clean and sober for seven months, she says that her problems are just beginning. Star says Isaac is verbally abusive to her and their kids, and he chokes her, slaps her, leaves bruises on her arms and feet and has threatened her life. Dr. Phil cameras follow the fearful mom as she makes the toughest decision of her life. Then, Isaac, who doesn’t know where his wife or children are staying, speaks to Dr. Phil via telephone. Hear his side of the story. Will he reconcile with his wife? Plus, Dr. Phil sits down with Star's 12-year-old daughter. Find out how she says the alleged violence at home affects her. And, if you're in an abusive relationship, Dr. Phil’s steps for escaping could help save your sanity … and your life.

Please note: Star is in a safe and secure location, and not at the location listed on the shelter's Web site.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 24, 2009, 5:09 am CDT

shelters will people from ot of state too.

Quote From: iztherehope

I want to leave and have been trying to leave for several several months.  The problem is, I can't leave because I have no where else to go. My family does not have us, because they say for one more adult and two kids is hard to have them long term. I don't work, and there is no one hiring. I am mad, angry an hurt. I don't get it. I hope as this show goes on they address that issue! Because you can't always leave.

My heart goes out to you. I left an abusive relatioship 11 yrs. ago. I am giving you the number of the people who helped me escape. They will take people from out of state or may beable to direct you to another shelter.. they are called daybreak and thier number is 508-755-5371. Also look up the national domestic abuse hotline on the internet if you can. I will look it up myself and post another message if I find it. ok.

April 24, 2009, 5:21 am CDT

national hotline number

Quote From: iztherehope

I want to leave and have been trying to leave for several several months.  The problem is, I can't leave because I have no where else to go. My family does not have us, because they say for one more adult and two kids is hard to have them long term. I don't work, and there is no one hiring. I am mad, angry an hurt. I don't get it. I hope as this show goes on they address that issue! Because you can't always leave.

Here is the national domestic abuse hotline number- 1800-799-7233. They help people in all 50 states.

April 24, 2009, 10:25 am CDT

04/23 How to Escape a Bad Marriage

I am glad Star got away from this loony psycho. She needs to stay away divorce him and move so far away he can never find her. This loser lied on the phone and I wish Dr. Phil had gotten in his Kool-Aid more.

April 24, 2009, 11:27 am CDT

there is work out there

Quote From: klarouche

Here is the national domestic abuse hotline number- 1800-799-7233. They help people in all 50 states.
every fast food place is hiring and so are convience stores so if you do want to work there is work out there nd if you are close to a military instation go to aafes.com    they have jobs also so stop having reasons why you hant leave just go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 24, 2009, 3:51 pm CDT

What a wonderful example of the strength of women

Having been in an abusive relationship until 2001, I am so proud of this guest.  She is a beacon of hope to women out there that despair.  The road will be challenging but nothing will compare to the freedom and self-esteem that comes from taking charge of your life.   Please remember to remind yourself of the courage and strength you posses every day.  Everytime his words surface in your mind you must challenge them and be reminded that you are so much stronger than he has been and he has no right to demean that.  Neither do you.

I have been able to co-parent my children with their father and although he still has temper issues I have been able to learn so much about myself and pass on to my children the strength to stand true in the face of any derision.

I wish peace to everyone out there struggling with this issue, please know that a loving relationship is possible after you have healed, but it takes a willingness to look deep inside and love.

April 25, 2009, 4:31 am CDT

True People Should just leave .

Quote From: karla41164

every fast food place is hiring and so are convience stores so if you do want to work there is work out there nd if you are close to a military instation go to aafes.com    they have jobs also so stop having reasons why you hant leave just go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People should just leave but sometimes they need a little help like a number to call to get help. Also people need help finantionally to leave a abusive relationship. If you have no money or help from some one else. How are you going to leave! Epecially when children are involved. It is not that easy. What if a woman has no car! That why they need to call a domestic abuse hotline to get help to plan thier escape. That is what I had to do.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next Page | Last Page