Message Boards

Topic : 04/22 Why Was Little Sandra Murdered?

Number of Replies: 42
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:47:41 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's the story everyone is talking about: The horrific murder and alleged rape of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu. Dr. Phil has been flooded with e-mails and questions asking what kind of a person would commit such a heinous crime. Is it possible that a mother could do something like this to someone else's child? People are asking, do I need to worry about my neighbor? How do I spot a person who might be a threat to my child? How do I talk to my children about this? Dr. Phil deconstructs the case and tells you what you need to know to protect your kids. Learn details about suspect Melissa Huckaby you have never heard before, including what Dr. Phil says about something from her past that may help explain this twisted murder. Former New York City homicide prosecutor Star Jones is on hand with important legal analysis. Will the Sunday school teacher face different treatment from the judicial system because she's female? Also weighing in is Candice DeLong, a former FBI profiler, who offers insight into the highly unusual circumstances surrounding little Sandra's murder. And, reporter Jennifer Wadsworth spoke directly with Huckaby before her arrest. Learn her impressions. Plus, hear from the parents of the little girl who sat next to Sandra in class and now is afraid to sleep alone. How safe is your son or daughter? Would you know how to spot a child molester? Find out why Dr. Phil says the most helpful person in your life might be the biggest threat to your child. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 22, 2009, 5:01 pm CDT

Why Was She Murdered?

What worries me is that there are too many people jumping to conclusions too soon.  Nothing has been proven in a court of law YET!  Whatever happened to innocent until PROVEN GUILTY?  If this woman did it, it will come out.  But . . . for now, this is not even a discussion that belongs on the table.

I love Dr. Phil show and watch daily.  But this has me worried . . . this big jump to conclusion!  Whoa, slow it down there Dr. Phil.  She did not confess and there is no more proof than the suitcase (that was reported missing) and the fact she MAY have been the last one to see the child.

If rape was involved, I lean more towards the fact they have the wrong person.  I believe it's soooo rare and obscure that the police need to look a little further before rushing this thing.

Also Dr. Phil, you have no right to try a person on your show with a "panel".  This is a matter for our legal system.  Let it work.  If and only if and when she is convicted, then it would be proper for you to examine this issue.

April 22, 2009, 6:05 pm CDT

04/22 Why Was Little Sandra Murdered?

Quote From: azeedra

I, just like everyone else, am appauld at the horrific crime committed against this poor child and her family.  I hear a lot of people making excuses for Huckaby's behavior.  I was molested as a very young child and I GOT OVER IT!!!  Also, it seems everyone has already made up their minds that this woman is guilty yet, to me, the pieces just don't fit!  Maybe she DID do it, maybe she had help, and maybe she's covering up for somone else.  I think the pastor is behaving suspiciously as well.  No one will know the truth about what really happened until the whole mess is over with. Innocence is the one thing in this country that we have to protect.  There are many out there who wish to destroy that innocence.  I don't allow my 13 year old to go anywhere alone or do anything online that I'm not aware of.  In the end it's the parent's responsibility to watch after their children.  There are far too many perverted people in this world and all these children need to be taught not to trust ANYONE!!!
I agree with you saying not to trust anyone, but  I seriously doubt that you, 'GOT OVER IT'. How could you, you may have had therapy and learned how to cope with the anger, but that is not something one  GETS OVER, the all caps is shouting, why the shouting if your over it, hmm?

April 22, 2009, 6:13 pm CDT

Another Susan Smith???

Dr. Phil,

I am a long time watcher but a first time posting to your site.  I watched less that the first minute of your show today <I record and watch later> and watching Maria Chavez talk and it smacks in the FACE of the Susan Smith!!  Do you remember all her weeping and wailing in the beginning of the investigation?  Then we found out we, as a nation, were DUPED by this oh-so-sincere mother of two!  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on ME.

I love your show.  I don't always agree with you <VIVA LA DIFFERANCE>  but I am watching.  Count on it! 

Sj

April 22, 2009, 6:50 pm CDT

whoops!!

Quote From: sftknight

Dr. Phil,

I am a long time watcher but a first time posting to your site.  I watched less that the first minute of your show today <I record and watch later> and watching Maria Chavez talk and it smacks in the FACE of the Susan Smith!!  Do you remember all her weeping and wailing in the beginning of the investigation?  Then we found out we, as a nation, were DUPED by this oh-so-sincere mother of two!  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on ME.

I love your show.  I don't always agree with you <VIVA LA DIFFERANCE>  but I am watching.  Count on it! 

Sj

TO ALL THAT READ THE ABOVE POST

I did not see the whole SHOW!! DUH!!

FORGIVE MY IGNORANT outburst! I will watch the WHOLE show and THEN post again!

SORRY TO ALL!

April 22, 2009, 7:31 pm CDT

WILL THIS HAPPEN AGAIN?

First, my heart goes out to this family.   Secondly, because this case is getting too much media, will it cause some sick individual out there to commit the same crime or even harsher?  I know it sounds cruel to even say so, but its reality, some people will do anything for fame.  This case like the peterson case is getting a lot of media, and even with the peterson case, which will cause the "sick minds" in our society an idea to grasp that 2 minutes of fame.

April 22, 2009, 7:43 pm CDT

Jane!

Quote From: janealvarez

Dear Jennifer, 

Thank you for your report on the recent Huckaby murder. It is very close to my heart as I have nephews and nieces in Tracy. It is also very close to my heart as I have been a child advocate for over 20 years. I am a retired Crime Analyst w/20 years in law enforcement before retiring with the Oxnard Police Department. While this incident is tragic and reprehensible, there are many, many children viciously killed on a daily basis.   Thank you again for bringing this issue to the public and raising the awareness.  

I was a recent speaker at the 3rd Annual Child Abuse Awareness March held in Palmdale on Aprill 11 for Supevisor Michael Antonovich (Los Angeles).  I would love to speak with you to discuss the epidemic of child cruelty. I have attached the link to the speech I gave at your 3rd Annual Child Abuse Awareness March below. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433KhbweIa0 

Twenty years ago, after adopting three severely abused children with over 29 reports of child abuse (sodomy, starvation, broken bones, etc.), I began to track child abuse reports. My 5 year old was only 18.5 pounds and social services still wanted to reunify these children with their drug addicted parents. I have since devoted my life to raising public awareness to how child cruelty leads to hundreds of deaths each year and thousands upon thousands of injuries to helpless children. 

During the Iraqi War over the past 6 years, over 4,400 American soldiers have been killed. American citizens are outra 
ged over their deaths. 
In that same time frame of six years, 9000 American children have been killed by their caregivers. Where is the outrage over their deaths? 

We are fighting a war against terrorism in Iraq while daily thousands of American children live lives of terror never knowing if they will have food withheld or when the next blow will be struck or the next bone will be broken, or a hand will be held over an open flame, or a body slammed against a wall. 

A few people die from tainted meat, or peanut butter, or suffer from measles and the CDC speeds to action. But there is no CDC for victims of child cruelty. 

A small group of us have banded together and formed an organization, National Association Against Child Cruelty (NAACC) to educate the public abut this problem. One of our goals is to form a mobile Wall of Tears (similar to the mobile Viet Nam Wall) listing the names of children who have been killed by their care-givers because of cruelty. We hope to visit every State capital and eventually end the trip in Washington DC in order to present facts, and statistics to Congressional members and make changes to Title 42 USC, Chapter 5106. Congress is the only Body that can legislatively affect change that would change laws for the entire nation when it comes to child cruelty and stop reunifying children with their abusers. Child abusers are criminals and must be treated as the criminals they are. Mr. Antonovich, would you give an arsonist a match? A burglar the keys to your car? A pedophile your child20to babysit? Then why do social workers continue to reunify children with their abusers? America needs to see and hear what really happens to our abused children. 

We know your dedication to educate and inform. This, perhaps, is an area you could look into and in doing so effect what is being cruelly done to our most precious asset. We would be very happy to work with you in this area. For most Americans, their sole legacy to the world is their children. 

Sincerely, 

Jane LeMond-Alvarez 
www.theinjusticefiles.com 

You need to be on dr phil! He must address this issue!

April 22, 2009, 7:55 pm CDT

Haven`t heard of the first ammendment, have you?

Quote From: scarleta

What worries me is that there are too many people jumping to conclusions too soon.  Nothing has been proven in a court of law YET!  Whatever happened to innocent until PROVEN GUILTY?  If this woman did it, it will come out.  But . . . for now, this is not even a discussion that belongs on the table.

I love Dr. Phil show and watch daily.  But this has me worried . . . this big jump to conclusion!  Whoa, slow it down there Dr. Phil.  She did not confess and there is no more proof than the suitcase (that was reported missing) and the fact she MAY have been the last one to see the child.

If rape was involved, I lean more towards the fact they have the wrong person.  I believe it's soooo rare and obscure that the police need to look a little further before rushing this thing.

Also Dr. Phil, you have no right to try a person on your show with a "panel".  This is a matter for our legal system.  Let it work.  If and only if and when she is convicted, then it would be proper for you to examine this issue.

Many pending criminal cases are discussed on news and talk shows. It is cmstitutionally protected speech. And it is a relevant issue. Children`s safety is at stake.

April 22, 2009, 8:33 pm CDT

UMM OKAY

Quote From: cadescove99

Many pending criminal cases are discussed on news and talk shows. It is cmstitutionally protected speech. And it is a relevant issue. Childrens safety is at stake.

You watch the show all the time???  This show was an eye opener, it was nice to hear from the panel actually.  Just because rape is involved, doesn't mean that a female wasn't involved, it just opens up the door to more people that took a part in this brutal act (and she could have simply just used an object).  You honestly need to positive, being negative is not going to take the matter anywhere or give anyone closure.  Are we suppose to wait and continue to suffer until someone is tried for this case??? 

April 22, 2009, 8:46 pm CDT

People have already convicted her and she hasent even had a trial yet

I live in Tracy Ca.... I have watched the news, talked to my children about Sandra. I at first could believe that it would be a woman. Then I was angry.... As the hours and days went on. People saying they had the inside scoop. So and so has a brother or neighbor that works at the hospital or police station... I seen the news reports. I changed my mind. I don't think she is fully guilty, I think she is taking the short end of the rope. I think her grandfather did it. I also think that it's funny that she ONE hasn't confessed, TWO went in for questions, they didn't out right go to her home and arrest her. THREE she hasn't been treated fair with a lawyer in the beginning, I love my town... I have two young children, I would never allow my daughter to play outside unsupervised. I would always have a lawn chair outside with a good book, or I would talk on the phone why she played. I don't trust people. The trailer park is right off the Darn freeway... HELLO.. Not that the lil girl deserved it, bless her soul. But COME ON EVERYONE.... Why is that she hasn't confessed and the suit case and they said that her story didn't jive, shoot I get tongue tied when I talk to a police officer in a coffee shop. lol They had her in questioning for hours two times. Soooo it's not adding up. Also, why is they found a damn bed in a church??? Why is that her daughter hasent been brought up once? Her Grandfather acts with body language like the predator and she acts like a victim? The puzzle is no where connected and I'm angry that people are marking her guilty before she could even take a breath. The entire story is just sad :(

April 22, 2009, 9:53 pm CDT

So?

Quote From: aw1979

I live in Tracy Ca.... I have watched the news, talked to my children about Sandra. I at first could believe that it would be a woman. Then I was angry.... As the hours and days went on. People saying they had the inside scoop. So and so has a brother or neighbor that works at the hospital or police station... I seen the news reports. I changed my mind. I don't think she is fully guilty, I think she is taking the short end of the rope. I think her grandfather did it. I also think that it's funny that she ONE hasn't confessed, TWO went in for questions, they didn't out right go to her home and arrest her. THREE she hasn't been treated fair with a lawyer in the beginning, I love my town... I have two young children, I would never allow my daughter to play outside unsupervised. I would always have a lawn chair outside with a good book, or I would talk on the phone why she played. I don't trust people. The trailer park is right off the Darn freeway... HELLO.. Not that the lil girl deserved it, bless her soul. But COME ON EVERYONE.... Why is that she hasn't confessed and the suit case and they said that her story didn't jive, shoot I get tongue tied when I talk to a police officer in a coffee shop. lol They had her in questioning for hours two times. Soooo it's not adding up. Also, why is they found a damn bed in a church??? Why is that her daughter hasent been brought up once? Her Grandfather acts with body language like the predator and she acts like a victim? The puzzle is no where connected and I'm angry that people are marking her guilty before she could even take a breath. The entire story is just sad :(
Unless someone confesses, they are innocemt? Plenty of guilty people never confess. Even whem caught in the act. And the tone of your post comes awfully close to blaming this child`s parents for her death.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last