Message Boards

Topic : 04/22 Why Was Little Sandra Murdered?

Number of Replies: 42
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:47:41 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It's the story everyone is talking about: The horrific murder and alleged rape of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu. Dr. Phil has been flooded with e-mails and questions asking what kind of a person would commit such a heinous crime. Is it possible that a mother could do something like this to someone else's child? People are asking, do I need to worry about my neighbor? How do I spot a person who might be a threat to my child? How do I talk to my children about this? Dr. Phil deconstructs the case and tells you what you need to know to protect your kids. Learn details about suspect Melissa Huckaby you have never heard before, including what Dr. Phil says about something from her past that may help explain this twisted murder. Former New York City homicide prosecutor Star Jones is on hand with important legal analysis. Will the Sunday school teacher face different treatment from the judicial system because she's female? Also weighing in is Candice DeLong, a former FBI profiler, who offers insight into the highly unusual circumstances surrounding little Sandra's murder. And, reporter Jennifer Wadsworth spoke directly with Huckaby before her arrest. Learn her impressions. Plus, hear from the parents of the little girl who sat next to Sandra in class and now is afraid to sleep alone. How safe is your son or daughter? Would you know how to spot a child molester? Find out why Dr. Phil says the most helpful person in your life might be the biggest threat to your child. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 20, 2009, 4:56 pm CDT

I hope this exciting new show is about

The new developments in the casey anthony case. And not another show about you know who. We`ve been nadya-ed to death!

April 21, 2009, 12:53 pm CDT

Sobering subject

But at least it is not about you know who! The defendant`s gender should have nothing to do with the disposition of this case. If a man would get the death penalty, so should she!

April 21, 2009, 7:54 pm CDT

04/22 Why Was Little Sandra Murdered?

It makes me so angry that this is what our world has come to.  When my 13 and 16 year old boys leave my home I already fear gun violence, gangs, drunk drivers, AIDS, teenage pregnancy, bullying and many other things I have no control of.  To know that in this United States we now have to worry that our childrens best friends parents may be murderous deranged people, who put on the mask of a "friendly parent" is horrifying.  I knew being a parent would never be an easy job but with todays issues it is harder than ever to keep our kids safe.  It has never been more important for the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" to be put into place by all parents, grandparents, etc.  When America blesses God, God will bless America.

April 22, 2009, 5:35 am CDT

Yes, I agree keeping your kids safe in this world is harder now.

Quote From: mrsebecker1973

It makes me so angry that this is what our world has come to.  When my 13 and 16 year old boys leave my home I already fear gun violence, gangs, drunk drivers, AIDS, teenage pregnancy, bullying and many other things I have no control of.  To know that in this United States we now have to worry that our childrens best friends parents may be murderous deranged people, who put on the mask of a "friendly parent" is horrifying.  I knew being a parent would never be an easy job but with todays issues it is harder than ever to keep our kids safe.  It has never been more important for the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" to be put into place by all parents, grandparents, etc.  When America blesses God, God will bless America.
It is getting harder and harder to keep your kids safe in this world. I pray every day for the lord to keep my son safe. I have to put him in gods hands. unfortunutely I can not be with him all the time. He has to go to school. You can never be too careful who you trust your kids with. Trust your instincts. If you feel in your gut that you should  not   trust a person with your child , do not do it. Just because a person is a sunday teacher, pastor,priest ect. does not mean you should trust them with your child. It is better to be careful who you trust then to take a chance. I too have to worry about gangs,gun violence,drunk drivers,bullying ect. We do not   live   in the safest area so I know how you feel.

April 22, 2009, 8:00 am CDT

Please note: many churches do background checks!

I just want to point out that, at least in Western North Carolina, all United Methodist churches are required to have a "Safe Sanctuaries" policy which includes doing a background check on everyone who works or volunteers with children.  Many main line churches are adopting such policies. 

As the Director of Youth and Children's ministries in a mid sized United Methodist church, I highly recommend that people attend churches where there is accountability built in all the way up the chain of command and then beyond the pastor such as most main line churches have.

Many street corner churches with self- ordained pastors are just trying to avoid being accountable to a system. A well funded, well educated church family does not allow just anyone with a pulse to teach Sunday school.  Do not trust just anyone who seeks the protection of the title "Sunday school teacher". 

April 22, 2009, 9:07 am CDT

Disgusted with people who murder

What gives a person right to  kill. Especially when it's not your child.

I know were all not perfect in this world but why take someone else's life when your so miserable. Especially these innocent children.

I am so angry to hear in the news almost everyday that someone has murdered a child. But this little girl was in the hands of a teacher and at a Sunday school church.

I feel this person should rot in jail or better yet tortured just like little Sandra.There is no excuse in this world that this person should be placed in a institution because of her history.

Anyone who kills should be locked up for life with no probation or appeals.

April 22, 2009, 9:25 am CDT

Can't go there!!

There is no hiding from a persons "evil" mind.  I can not even picture or go there in my mind how someone can be so evil to actually kill another person much less an innocent child.  I have 7 grandchildren and I have to stay on my knees praying hedges around them ever day all day long.  My grandchildren range from 16 yrs. to 5 yrs. old.  Even my 16yr old Twin grandsons know that prayers work because they told me of a time when they lived with their mother, and one of them ran out infront of a car and the car stopped inches away from him and he was only about 8 yrs old at that time.  They both say today that it was the "Angels" that I pray around them that saved him.  We as a Country have silenced Christianity to the point we are at now.  Dr. Phil, you and I are the same age and I remember, and know you do too, when my mom would tell me in the summer, "go outside and play, and don't come home until supper".  Now, if you let your children out of your sight for a moment, you worry about them.  The churches, schools, homes, malls, and yards, etc. are not safe for even adults anymore.  Our nation has turned wicked...but GOD says, if we will turn away from our sins that HE will heal our land.  We all as true Christians should stand up and fight for our nation.

Hurting for the victim's family

Judy Ford

April 22, 2009, 12:48 pm CDT

I don't know what to say

How does this happen?? We should protect our children!!  My children are all grown, but I wish I could do something to help those with young children.  Dr. Phil, what can we do???  I really want to become involved in helping protect our children. 

April 22, 2009, 12:59 pm CDT

Destroying Innocence

I, just like everyone else, am appauld at the horrific crime committed against this poor child and her family.  I hear a lot of people making excuses for Huckaby's behavior.  I was molested as a very young child and I GOT OVER IT!!!  Also, it seems everyone has already made up their minds that this woman is guilty yet, to me, the pieces just don't fit!  Maybe she DID do it, maybe she had help, and maybe she's covering up for somone else.  I think the pastor is behaving suspiciously as well.  No one will know the truth about what really happened until the whole mess is over with. Innocence is the one thing in this country that we have to protect.  There are many out there who wish to destroy that innocence.  I don't allow my 13 year old to go anywhere alone or do anything online that I'm not aware of.  In the end it's the parent's responsibility to watch after their children.  There are far too many perverted people in this world and all these children need to be taught not to trust ANYONE!!!

April 22, 2009, 1:30 pm CDT

suffering a similar fate

I just finished watching the show : Why was little Sandra murdered.  Unfortunately this topic hit too close to home.  I found out a month ago that my husband sexually molested my 13 year old daughter, over the span of 1 1/2 years.  The abuse ended a month ago when I asked him to leave the family home and reported the incidence to the police and childrens aid society.  I was fortunate enough to find help for my daughter immediately.  The most frustrating past seems to be our legal system as we still await for him to be officially arrested for this crime.  We are told it all takes time.  That is little comfort when we continue to suffer so as a family. 

As I listened to Dr. Phil and his experts talk about the signs to watch for I couldnt help but continue to feel so guilty.  I never had a clue that the abuse was going on and I now realize that this man that I brought into our home 5 years ago and felt that he was a safe person could end up doing this to my daughter.  I feel so guilty.  I know realistically it is not my fault and had I known I would have put a stop to it immediately.

What I do realize is that sexual abuse of children is still so not talked about.  As a society we need to do more to protect our children. 

I hope that this Dr Phil show will help a little person and family not have to suffer the effects of sexual abuse.

Keep well and safe.

Kindest regards,

Christine Courchaine

Kazabazua, Quebec Canada 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last