Message Boards

Topic : 04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

Number of Replies: 208
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:49:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Six thousand women enter menopause every day, and studies have shown that the fairer sex can experience menopausal and perimenopausal symptoms as early as their 20s and 30s. Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin, author of What’s Age Got to Do with It? is on a mission to show the ladies how to embrace life changes with dignity and grace! First up, Robin recounts her own emotional and physical struggles with the change of life. Learn how she was able to get a handle on her mood swings and hot flashes. Then, Becky says she hasn’t gotten a good night's sleep in 12 years, and when she looks in the mirror, she sees a woman who has aged 10 years in 12 months. Find out what happens after Robin takes Becky under her wing! Next, meet a 33-year-old who says she’s chronically exhausted and lacks libido. What’s at the root of her condition? And, can men experience menopause? Learn the surprising facts! Plus, meet a physician who says she learned important hormone tips from Robin’s appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, and hear from a woman who ignored her health symptoms and nearly lost her life. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2009, 11:33 am CDT

Yes, we need more info

Quote From: bigsmiles4u

I watched the show today and I was so glad to hear the topic of Hormone imbalance discused & to learn about other women with problems that are ignored for the most part. However, Robin did not clearly cover the availibilty -the cost- the side effects nor did she give a clear plan of action:  Example:  Finding a doctor, the cost, the lenght of time, the dose amount compaired to regular Hormone replacement.  What is the comparison cost, example,  Compound hormones verses Chemical hormones?  We want & need the complete true facts...not a hocus pocus quick fix.  Great job on advertising though, it excited the viewers interest but not enough for me to go right out and but the book.  Sorry, Dr. Phil but the viewers deserve a more honest complete view point and maybe that is another show.  It is your good faith and talents that makes that happen!  That happens when all the facts are shared.  I was a bit disapointed and I do believe Susan Summer wrote a book about that same topic.  There is something about the hormone effects but we can not all afford to spend money on a vaguely communicated subject.  Thank you for bring the topic up and I did learn that I am not alone in the many concerns and the timely need for attention to this important subject.  - Jan
Jan, I think you did a terrific job of summarizing what many women feel. We are desperate for help but need more info SOON.  It is true that most insurance companies do not cover these alternative options. I also checked and could not find a compounding pharmacist in my area. I think we need to take a few steps back and start with the basic info. Have it easily explained and add costs, locations, length of time etc... So many of us are suffering in this world and need the help in a manner we can afford.

April 21, 2009, 12:12 pm CDT

ovaries are gone

I had numerous problems, the doctor suggested removing the ovaries and now he won't replace all the hormones. He did give me provera which caused the hot flashes to increase. I live in Mountains in Maryland and no one around our area will listen.........WHERE DO I /WE go?

April 21, 2009, 12:22 pm CDT

04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

April 21, 2009, 12:33 pm CDT

Hi Robin i have questions about hormones

My name is Elizabeth and i am 35 years old. I am married and have 4 children. In 2000 i was diagnosed with thryoid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy. I underwent several radiation treatments and then in 2003 i was diagnosed with cancer in my lymph nodes. I underwent a bilateral neck dissection only to find out that they did not find any cancer cells in my lymph nodes. Now i have a scar that extends from one side of my neck to the other. Since being diagnosed my husband and myself have noticed extreme changes. I have gained weight, am always tired, my sex drive has completely diminished, and my moods change at the drop of a hat. It has gotten so bad that my 17 year old son stated to me just three days ago that  i am not his mom like i used to be and that he did not like how i was acting. I find myself being angry alot and then suddenly being very sad. My intimate relationship with my husband has suffered alot. I have no desire at all and that angers my husband and in an effort to make him happy and avoid fighting i give in but it feels more like a job or another to do thing on my list. I am currently and have for the past 9 years been on synthroid or levoxyl. I have been watching the show today and unfortunately won't be able to watch till the end as i have to go to work but was wondering if you maybe have any suggestions or insight on my situation. Please let me know. I am desperate to feel happy, and sexy again but don' t know what to do.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Torres-Neal

April 21, 2009, 12:44 pm CDT

Money is nnt the issue for robin

Quote From: we3carrons

Dr Phil and Robin; I just want to say thanks, we have been living with this for several years now. I am just turning 50 and my wife Jackie is turning 46.  After the birth of our 1st child things started to change and with the birth of our 2nd child it was pretty much over in the bedroom department, but I love my wife and I feel things will get better in time, NOT!  This all started 13 years ago when we decided to get married and start our lives together, we have had our ups and downs but were still in it together.  Dr Phil you said something on one of your 1st shows about relationships that sex is only 10% of the marriage but it can be 90% of the problem too. I agree . We dont have a sex life at all and I think for myself that thats the reason for 90% of our arguments.  But after this show today I have a better respect for what my wife is going through, I still in love with my wife and am sooo sexually attracted to her even through all  of whats going on.  The ones that suffer the most are the children and as of today I am going to do my best to change that on my part, you really can see how we are can effect them.  Thanks so much for this show, I needed it..PS nobody on the show said if these hormones are really expensive or if insurance will help for us that are on a really tight budget. Thanks again and if you ever have a show on how good we can look in our maturing years my wife and I look really great for our ages and I'm not bragging we really do...Thanks again for everything. Tom Carron
That it is for someone on a tight budget. She can afford the bio identical hormmes that cost more than the synthetic and are not covered by most insurance providers. Wish she would gear her shows to people on a tight budget!

April 21, 2009, 12:49 pm CDT

Not sure hoe to interpret tests

Robin,
I am 42 years old, I have always had problems with my period. I have had pain everywhere for years now. i first heard of Bio-identical hormones when you were on Oprah.  I had my primary doctor to test my hormone levels. He has never discussed the results with me, he has since closed his practice; I have my medical records from him.  However, I do not know how to read them.  He has me taking anti-depressants, anti-inflammatory and pain medications. I have fopund a new doctor, however I have only seen him once. Where do I go from here?

April 21, 2009, 12:51 pm CDT

Help

Hello. I'm a 44 yr old. I have just recently gone to the doctor with peri menapausal symtoms. My symtoms were the ones you had discussed on an earlier show. I asked the OB/GYN to test my hormones and thyroid. When the results came back I was told that they were in the "normal' range and to come back in another year for another test. Should I just accept what I'm told or should I go back to discuss this with my doctor?  Should I go to another doctor till I get the answer I'm looking for?Can you help me?

April 21, 2009, 12:54 pm CDT

hi

Hi Dr.phil i was watchingyour show on hormonnes an i couldnt beleive it it waysx the same ways i feel i do the samething dont want to play with the children and i am pregnant now and iam so sacred how im going to be with this child i dont no what to do they just keep putting me on anti depressiant and all it does is make me not want to do anything even more what can i do please thank you misty

April 21, 2009, 1:00 pm CDT

Question about hormone replacement

I've been in menopause (no periods) since 2005.  I haven't taken any hormone replacement therapy.  I'm only 52, and I do notice changes to my skin and hair, and I my sex drive is non-existent.  I also find it more difficult to lose weight and maintain muscle the muscle definition I had from working out, and I have many of the symptoms that were described on the show, such as fatigue, muscle aches, difficulty sleeping, feeling in a fog, memory lapses, etc.  Is it too late to start bioidentical hormone replacement?  If I were to begin, how will the sudden hormone change affect someone like me?

April 21, 2009, 1:01 pm CDT

what if I can't take hormone therapy

Hi Robin, I am 47 years old and 2 years ago had surgery for a blocked artery in my leg. After that I was not allowed to take birth control pills and I was told that I can't take hormone therapy for my perimenopusal symptoms. I get extremely tired and cry very easily, maybe 10 times a day. The doctors only recommendation was to take anti-depressants. Is it still possible to undergo hormone therapy if you have vascular problems? Thanks for any help you can give.

Renee

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last