Message Boards

Topic : 04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

Number of Replies: 208
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:49:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Six thousand women enter menopause every day, and studies have shown that the fairer sex can experience menopausal and perimenopausal symptoms as early as their 20s and 30s. Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin, author of What’s Age Got to Do with It? is on a mission to show the ladies how to embrace life changes with dignity and grace! First up, Robin recounts her own emotional and physical struggles with the change of life. Learn how she was able to get a handle on her mood swings and hot flashes. Then, Becky says she hasn’t gotten a good night's sleep in 12 years, and when she looks in the mirror, she sees a woman who has aged 10 years in 12 months. Find out what happens after Robin takes Becky under her wing! Next, meet a 33-year-old who says she’s chronically exhausted and lacks libido. What’s at the root of her condition? And, can men experience menopause? Learn the surprising facts! Plus, meet a physician who says she learned important hormone tips from Robin’s appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, and hear from a woman who ignored her health symptoms and nearly lost her life. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2009, 1:03 pm CDT

04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

hello.Iam 55years old.Gramother of nini.when i was 19 tears old a doctor gave me a complet  histerame.cant spell good .my face is so old   looking.I stoped going out.they have me on so many pills.but no replacment.i have no sex drive since 19.and my marrige fell apart.I so wish to feel like a woamen.i feel like a old old lady.I love out door but always so tired badmood swings head eack all of the above.no one told me I feel like I have been pushed aside.what do i do.how do I start.where do I go.what do I ask.i wont to feel good.maybe life isnt over.I would love to have a date put i feel anyone over70 mightlook.they do put when they grt close you can see the diapointment.please help.i will be so so thankfull.i learned a lot but forgot just as quick. 

April 21, 2009, 1:21 pm CDT

HELP

I live in NY on Long Island, I need to find a doctor or OB that will test my hormonies and perscribe me Bio medical compounds. Where can I find a doctor like this???

April 21, 2009, 1:23 pm CDT

I feel the same!

Quote From: etorresneal

My name is Elizabeth and i am 35 years old. I am married and have 4 children. In 2000 i was diagnosed with thryoid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy. I underwent several radiation treatments and then in 2003 i was diagnosed with cancer in my lymph nodes. I underwent a bilateral neck dissection only to find out that they did not find any cancer cells in my lymph nodes. Now i have a scar that extends from one side of my neck to the other. Since being diagnosed my husband and myself have noticed extreme changes. I have gained weight, am always tired, my sex drive has completely diminished, and my moods change at the drop of a hat. It has gotten so bad that my 17 year old son stated to me just three days ago that  i am not his mom like i used to be and that he did not like how i was acting. I find myself being angry alot and then suddenly being very sad. My intimate relationship with my husband has suffered alot. I have no desire at all and that angers my husband and in an effort to make him happy and avoid fighting i give in but it feels more like a job or another to do thing on my list. I am currently and have for the past 9 years been on synthroid or levoxyl. I have been watching the show today and unfortunately won't be able to watch till the end as i have to go to work but was wondering if you maybe have any suggestions or insight on my situation. Please let me know. I am desperate to feel happy, and sexy again but don' t know what to do.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Torres-Neal

Elizabeth, I am 36 years old, a breast cancer survivor and in the same boat as you.  Because my cancer was estrogen fed, I cannot have hormones.  I don't know what to do!  I have no sex drive and it's causing huge issues in my marriage.  I've tried some different things but nothing has worked!  If you get an answer, let me know.

Jenn

April 21, 2009, 1:24 pm CDT

You solved my problem

I could have been any of the ladies on the show. Sleepless, foggy memory, irritable, moody, lazy, no sex drive, unable to loose weight... I did have my thyroid checked. My Dr checked some of my levels but I'm not sure about the testosterone. I'm calling her tomorrow!

My 3 little girls thank you, my husband would like to shake your hand, and I would like to hug you both!

Hopeful in WV- Mechelle

April 21, 2009, 1:29 pm CDT

Hormones and cancer?

I keep hearing about bioidentical hormones and how great they are. But has anyone addressed the fact that some cancers feed off of estrogen?? I was diagnosed in 2000 at age 49 with breast cancer. I was not obese, never smoked, rarely had a drink and had no family history of breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy, a mastectomy, 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiation to the chest wall. Chemo sent me into immediate menopause. My cancer is estrogen/progesterone positive. I have been on Tamoxifen and Aromasin for the past 8 years to try to keep my estrogen level low. I am currently cancer free, and thrilled to be alive!. What concerns me is that all of these women are excited about feeling better, but what about the increased risk of Breast Cancer?? No one is addressing this issue! I also am tired, don't sleep well, have no sex drive, but I can't take hormones. So what do I do? And all the other millions of BC survivors do??

April 21, 2009, 1:34 pm CDT

Hi,

I am 43 and have almost every peri menopausal symptom out there.  My doctor thinks it is just pms but I know different.  I am suffering from so much pain through out my body and my moods have been all over the place.  I have always had  unbalanced hormones and I don't want to live like this anymore.  What can I do?

April 21, 2009, 1:36 pm CDT

my doctor thinks

My doctor thinks I am bipolar.. but still ran the test he feels that they will come back "normal" I beg to difer that. As soon as I get the results I will be heading to Wisconsin to get Pellet implants..I cannot understand why this is such a big secret, if it makes you feel good whats the harm..I will keep everyone posted..

April 21, 2009, 1:40 pm CDT

I just watched the show "What's Hormones Got To Do With It?  I found it very interesting, but would love to find a physician who actually deals with bioidentical hormone treatment within my area.  At age 65, I would like to know what my hormone levels should be.  I certainly still have many of the ups and downs of menopause, especially sleeplessness, difficulty loosing weight, depression, lack of energy, etc.  And the final question, where do I find a compounding pharmacy and  am I too old to be concerned with all this? 

April 21, 2009, 1:40 pm CDT

what about hormones after cancer

I enjoyed the show about hormones today, but here's my question.  What about hormones after breast cancer and hysterectomy?  In 2003 I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 38, had a left side mastectomy,  went through chemo and was then put on tamoxifin which led to having a hysterectomy.  So I was then put on aromasin for 5 years    At this time I was in the process of having reconstructive surgery (tissue expander).  Which was horrible!!   So in 2005 when we found spots on the other breast I  stopped the process and asked for a bra with two pockets.   I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1994 and have been on lots of different med over the years.  I have also had 3 back surgeries which doesn't help mattersTo sum it all up I feel miserable most of the time.  The doctors tell me to excercise, which sounds easy enough.  I can do it one day and be down for a week.  It is extremely frustrating to me and my family.   I have a loving family but I have to miss most activities due to feeling so bad.   I admit that I do battle depression quite a bit and feel guilty for being depressed.  It seems that I just can't get off of the horrible ride.   My question is, could I possibly have a hormone problem.  I just assumed after having all female parts removed that was that.

April 21, 2009, 1:44 pm CDT

hi dr. phil and robin,

i am 27yrs old and i have the same symptoms these women have. could it be possible that i could have hormonal imbalanced. i have been feeling like this since i had my little girl about 9 yrs ago. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last