Message Boards

Topic : 04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

Number of Replies: 208
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:49:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Six thousand women enter menopause every day, and studies have shown that the fairer sex can experience menopausal and perimenopausal symptoms as early as their 20s and 30s. Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin, author of What’s Age Got to Do with It? is on a mission to show the ladies how to embrace life changes with dignity and grace! First up, Robin recounts her own emotional and physical struggles with the change of life. Learn how she was able to get a handle on her mood swings and hot flashes. Then, Becky says she hasn’t gotten a good night's sleep in 12 years, and when she looks in the mirror, she sees a woman who has aged 10 years in 12 months. Find out what happens after Robin takes Becky under her wing! Next, meet a 33-year-old who says she’s chronically exhausted and lacks libido. What’s at the root of her condition? And, can men experience menopause? Learn the surprising facts! Plus, meet a physician who says she learned important hormone tips from Robin’s appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, and hear from a woman who ignored her health symptoms and nearly lost her life. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2009, 2:32 pm CDT

Hormones

I am a 38 yr. old female that had a total hystertomy about 9 yrs. ago. and they had a problem getting hormones straight and i went off them for a few yrs. becasue did  not have insurance.. how do i get back on them? Am gaining weight and the dry skin and all the things that come with menapause.. Help...

April 21, 2009, 2:33 pm CDT

OMG! That is me .. I cant believe it..

I just saw myself on Dr. Phil.. not literally, but those women are me.  I'm 47, grumpy, tired, hate sex, snap at my kids and my husband, go to bed early, sleep late.. what an eye opener.

Where can I find a "Hall Center" here in Florida??  I even have a female primary care physician and she never even talked to me about this stuff.   Shouldnt she have just tested all this since I'm 47!!!!

Help me please; I want to live again!

April 21, 2009, 2:36 pm CDT

Not everyone has the option to go to the Dr

Hello Dr. Phil and Robin,
I watched your show today with a heavy heart. I lost my job two years ago because the business closed. They sent us all to college, but I still can't find a job. I will lose my house soon and perhaps if I would have looked for a job right away rather than going to school it would have been easier to find a job when the economy was not in such a mess.

I am 50 yrs old, divorced twice, living alone. I have not had insurance for over a year. I have been living on unemployment for two years while going to school and that is about to run out.

While watching your show I had to wonder if you had given any thought to the millions of people (probably) in the same situation that I am in. Mood swings, hot flashes ... I wish that is all I had wrong with me. I made the mistake of going to the Dr. when I had no insurance because I had so much pain I couldn't stand it. Over $3000.00 later (which was just one visit) they didn't know what was wrong with me and wanted me to come back for more tests. Needless to say I did not go back and have been suffering with the pain. The bill went to collections and they are calling me on a daily basis causing more stress.

I am not condemning your topic ... just feeling isolated from the real world where if you have a hot flash or are feeling crabby you go to the Dr. and are taken care of. I used to live in such a place, but I am afraid this is all there is for me. Job interviews are shared with hundreds of others looking for the same position. The others are much younger and some have more education than I do. I  don't really stand a chance.

I feel that I am fairly intelligent, normally good natured, and try to see the bright side of things. However, I also believe you have to know when to fold them. I believe I am there.

I don't know why I am writing this other than the fact that if I am feeling this way, there must be many others during these hard times. Depression, sadness, alone, defeat. I guess the good news is soon my cable will be turned off and I won't have to watch normal people living with loving spouses, doing normal daily things.

I am glad that Robin brought this subject to light. I am sure there are many people who will be able to take her advice and visit their Dr. Maybe I just wanted to shout out that I am here? Please don't forget about those of us who will be living ... somewhere other than our homes and without insurance.

April 21, 2009, 2:37 pm CDT

hormones

what if you have had a pulmonary embolism and have been told you can't take hormones because of the blood clots, but desperately need something. 56 yrs. old and had a hysterectomy and and have all the symptoms of low testrone and other things.

April 21, 2009, 2:37 pm CDT

04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

I first heard about this when Robin was on Oprah.  I imediately made an appointment with my Dr. to discuss the Bio Identical therapy.  What led up to this point is that in 1998 I had a complete hystrorectomy at the age of 28 (am now 41).  I was put on primeran.  A few years later my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.  My dr. at the time suggested I get off it.  A few months later I was diagnosed with depression and a few years later with fibermyalga.  I have no sex drive and my weight has gone up tremenously.  I am always tired, lazy, and just rather sit on the couch and pout.  Then the ah ha moment when I seen the show.  Dr.s keep saying I am depressed.  They won't test my hormones.  I have asked many times.  I was just put on yet another form of anti-depression pills because it will "help with my hot flashes and head aches".  I don't understand why they don't listen.  I do not feel like I am depressed and nothing has chasnged.  What can I do?  I am desperate!  I won't the old me back.

April 21, 2009, 2:41 pm CDT

Hormone Show

I'm 48 from Texas.  Wife and mother of 3 daughters.  My Mom never spoke of menopause either.  I'm trying to educate myself for me and my girls.  Just returned from my Endocrinologist today.  Had lots of blood drawn for lab work.  I feel like I am entering into the pre-menopause journey with your helpful guidance. Thanks Robin!

April 21, 2009, 2:42 pm CDT

Hormones

I am 66 years old and had breast cancer in 1995.  Can you take these hormones if you have had cancer? I have all the symptons that Robin is talking about and would like to know.  Does insurance cover these?

Thank you

Karen L.

April 21, 2009, 2:42 pm CDT

I can relate

I AM A 44 YEAR OLD MOTHER OF FOUR, AND WATCHED THE OPRAH SHOW THAT ROBIN WAS ON, ON A COMMERCIAL BREAK I CALLED MY DOCTOR TO MAKE A APPOINTMENT, HE ORDERED BLOOD WORK AND SAID HE WOULD CHECK MY HORMONE LEVELS AND ME THYROID, AFTER TELLING HIM OF ALL MY SYMPTOMS, I TOO RELATED IT WITH MY  OLDEST SON GRADUATING AND GOING OFF TO COLLEGE, BUT DEEP DOWN I FELT IT WAS MORE THAN THAT. WELL WHEN CALLING BACK FOR MY RESULTS, THEY SAID EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL AND I JUST ACCEPTED IT, WELL AFTER TODAY SHOW I CALLED THE DOCTOR BECAUSE I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT MY LEVELS WERE EXACTLY.AND THATS WHEN I FOUND OUT THEY ONLY CHECKED MY ESTROGEN, AND NOTHING ELSE, SO WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE.FRUSTRATED AND STILL SUFFERING, AND DESPERATELY WANT TO FELL LIKE THE HAPPY  CAREFREE PERSON I ONCE WAS. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE IMFORMATION

April 21, 2009, 2:43 pm CDT

Daughter

Hi

My daughter is 34 and everyother year has had a non stop mentstrual cycle. this is not a light cycle but a very heavy one.Do you think Bio Identical Hormones will help her?Doctors seem to not really want to help they pass her off to anothe doctor.Is there a specific doctor she should see?

any advise would be greatful.
Respectfuly

Kathleena

April 21, 2009, 2:44 pm CDT

04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

Robin,

Does this new harmone treatment work for a woman who has compleated menopause???

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last