Message Boards

Topic : 04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

Number of Replies: 208
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 17, 2009, 09:49:25 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Six thousand women enter menopause every day, and studies have shown that the fairer sex can experience menopausal and perimenopausal symptoms as early as their 20s and 30s. Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin, author of What’s Age Got to Do with It? is on a mission to show the ladies how to embrace life changes with dignity and grace! First up, Robin recounts her own emotional and physical struggles with the change of life. Learn how she was able to get a handle on her mood swings and hot flashes. Then, Becky says she hasn’t gotten a good night's sleep in 12 years, and when she looks in the mirror, she sees a woman who has aged 10 years in 12 months. Find out what happens after Robin takes Becky under her wing! Next, meet a 33-year-old who says she’s chronically exhausted and lacks libido. What’s at the root of her condition? And, can men experience menopause? Learn the surprising facts! Plus, meet a physician who says she learned important hormone tips from Robin’s appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, and hear from a woman who ignored her health symptoms and nearly lost her life. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 18, 2009, 5:20 pm CDT

Rnbin

Your shows are always very informative, but please bear in mind that most insurance programs do not cover bio identical hormone therapy. And some womem cannot afford the copay on regular hormones.

April 21, 2009, 4:03 am CDT

What's age got to do with it?

I respect Robin's advice on hormones but NO ONE ever talks about the post hysterectomy woman. I had a hysterctomy 3 years ago and have been struggling ever since. Why don't we talk about US!

April 21, 2009, 6:46 am CDT

Surgicial Hysterectomy at age 27

I had a surgical complete hysterectomy at age 27 and have been miserable since then.  I have been diagnosed with depression and they check my thyroid all the time.  I am currently not taking any hormones and have not for more than 5 years.  I was scared of the side effects and I have battled with night sweats, mood swings and NO sex drive.  I am now 36 with no energy, my memory is shot, NO SEX DRIVE, very very moody, and I have gained over 50 lbs.  Robin or Dr, Phil I need help.  I do not want to live like this.  I am still young and have a pre-teen daughter who needs me.  Why haven't you guys addressed the surgical hysterectomy? Thanks..Kristi Hampton,SC

April 21, 2009, 7:28 am CDT

Hormones not for everyone

I wish rubbing on a cream was a simple fix for every woman going thru menopause. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer 5 years ago at the age of 50. My tumor was found to be estrogen receptive. No hormones and no soy products for me! I know I am not alone. I wish a program on menopause would at least mention those of us who went thru a surgical menopause and are unable to use hormone therapy. Surely we deserve a little hope and improved mood and intimacy, too.

April 21, 2009, 7:44 am CDT

What an eye opener

Dr Phil and Robin; I just want to say thanks, we have been living with this for several years now. I am just turning 50 and my wife Jackie is turning 46.  After the birth of our 1st child things started to change and with the birth of our 2nd child it was pretty much over in the bedroom department, but I love my wife and I feel things will get better in time, NOT!  This all started 13 years ago when we decided to get married and start our lives together, we have had our ups and downs but were still in it together.  Dr Phil you said something on one of your 1st shows about relationships that sex is only 10% of the marriage but it can be 90% of the problem too. I agree . We dont have a sex life at all and I think for myself that thats the reason for 90% of our arguments.  But after this show today I have a better respect for what my wife is going through, I still in love with my wife and am sooo sexually attracted to her even through all  of whats going on.  The ones that suffer the most are the children and as of today I am going to do my best to change that on my part, you really can see how we are can effect them.  Thanks so much for this show, I needed it..PS nobody on the show said if these hormones are really expensive or if insurance will help for us that are on a really tight budget. Thanks again and if you ever have a show on how good we can look in our maturing years my wife and I look really great for our ages and I'm not bragging we really do...Thanks again for everything. Tom Carron

April 21, 2009, 8:14 am CDT

Robin - hormones

How does one go about locating a doctor who can check for hormone level issues and offer a complete regimen to help?  Is it through a GYN, an Endocrinologist, Internal Mecidine, etc.?  I also have Hashimoto's thyroid disease - and have had diagnosed for the past 10 years.  That was a nightmare to get a correct dianosis for, so approaching 40 opens a whole new world of issues to deal with.

Also, I'm concerned about the type of physician to diagnosis and also the prescribed treatment being covered by insurance.  I think most of us have no access to the right physicians or the funds to cover it all so we go on suffering.

April 21, 2009, 8:37 am CDT

Bioidentical Hormones

After viewing "What's Hormones Got To Do With It?" I became a bit dissatisfied with my current results with bioidentical hormones.  Since starting them about six months ago I didn't experience the "immediate" improvements that were shared by the ladies on the show.   Learning that this is possible and that I didn't experience it is disappointing to me.  I thought I was doing the right thing by switching over to bioidenticals, but now don't know where to go from here.  Also disappointing is that I have gained back weight I struggled to lose.  Wondering if that is an unavoidable side effect of the hormones?  Is there one way of delivery that is better that another? (cream vs. troche)

SA

April 21, 2009, 8:46 am CDT

Where do you find MD's that approve of bioidenticals??

After reading about bioidenticals and listening to TV personalities that use them, I, too, would like to try them. BUT.............after visiting my GYN and discussing this preference with them, I was told that I would have to find someone who would prescribe them, AND, if there were GYN problems associated with them, that they would NOT treat me. SO......................how do I find someone within my area who DOES believe in them, WILL prescribe and MONITOR them for me, AND will treat me if problems should arise???  This all seems so futile!!  WHY aren't there more physicians both knowledgeable and agreeable to this therapy!

It would be WONDERFUL not to feel like a neutered puppy!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2009, 9:23 am CDT

04/21 What's Hormones Got to Do with It?

hello my name is christine i was watchin ur show in feb of this yr i had procodure call novesure it stopped my heavy periods that i have had for yrs .am turning 40 in july was wondering if it could have thrown me in to mentapause have all the symptoms of mentapause but not sure if its possaible if you have any answers for me please let me know if i need to go get my bioidentical hormones checked thank you .need answers.just so tired of being tired and gaing weight when i dont eat .have no interest in sex .just would like to know if i need some help

April 21, 2009, 11:22 am CDT

Robin McGraw

I watched the show today and I was so glad to hear the topic of Hormone imbalance discused & to learn about other women with problems that are ignored for the most part. However, Robin did not clearly cover the availibilty -the cost- the side effects nor did she give a clear plan of action:  Example:  Finding a doctor, the cost, the lenght of time, the dose amount compaired to regular Hormone replacement.  What is the comparison cost, example,  Compound hormones verses Chemical hormones?  We want & need the complete true facts...not a hocus pocus quick fix.  Great job on advertising though, it excited the viewers interest but not enough for me to go right out and but the book.  Sorry, Dr. Phil but the viewers deserve a more honest complete view point and maybe that is another show.  It is your good faith and talents that makes that happen!  That happens when all the facts are shared.  I was a bit disapointed and I do believe Susan Summer wrote a book about that same topic.  There is something about the hormone effects but we can not all afford to spend money on a vaguely communicated subject.  Thank you for bring the topic up and I did learn that I am not alone in the many concerns and the timely need for attention to this important subject.  - Jan

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last