Message Boards

Topic : 04/27 Craigslist Killer? Profile of the Med Student Accused

Number of Replies: 44
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 23, 2009, 02:11:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
What would drive a young man with a bright and promising future to allegedly commit such a brutal crime? Dr. Phil goes behind the headlines and takes a look inside the life of the accused Craigslist killer Philip Markoff. He speaks to a close college buddy of the Boston University medical student and also hears from a photographer who had worked with Julissa Brisman, the murdered woman who advertised her masseuse services on Craigslist. What does the hotel surveillance footage reveal on the night Julissa was shot? Plus, Markoff's fiancée claims that the clean-cut student couldn't have committed such a heinous act. Dr. Phil deconstructs a case that has shocked the country. You don't want to miss this riveting show! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 27, 2009, 2:43 pm CDT

Ted Bundy was a very smart man as well

They all (his friends) said Ted Bundy would never have killed all of the girls that he was charged with. He was way to nice and shy and so smart.  Yet he was convicted and then later killed for the killings that he did do.

I have read in some  posts how do we raise folks like this. My answer is we have taken out GOD in schools.  We have taken away the ten commandments in schools.  So kids are not really taught right from wrong any more.  With the games now a days where killing is a fun game and means nothing.  This country was founded on GOD.  Yet we have been for years letting folks change so many laws we did have when we were founded as a country. I say lets get God back in school.

The Craigslist killer is accused and until the court finds him guilty or not guilty. All I can do is my oh my so much like Ted Bundy good looking and very smart and girlfriend and friends couldn't believe until he was convicted.  God help his family and him.

help the victims family as well.

Mstweetypye

April 27, 2009, 2:50 pm CDT

To close to home

Living only 2 minutes from his home town in Sherrill NY I must say this is a little to close to home. I am shocked and yet outraged by what this kid has done. I guess it just goes to show you that even the ones from the small close communitys can be the ones to shock the world. It is scary to know that coming from the area where i live a killer lurked around the corner. But even I am so sick of hearing about it everyday. I cant even go to work without this whole thing coming up. I know its big news for our area, but come on, when will it end?

April 27, 2009, 3:07 pm CDT

PEOPLE SHOULD REMBER THAT IN THE USA WE ARE NOT GUILTY UNTILL WE ARE PROVEN GUILTY. SO PLEASE DO NOT JUMP TO JUDGE THIS YOUNG MAN UNTILL ALL FACTS ARE KNOWN.

I SIT AND WATCH THE PICTURES OF THE VIDIEO THAT IS BEING USED AS SO CALLED EVIDANCE.  I REMEMBER STAYING AT THAT HOTEL MANY MANY TIMES BACK IN THE DAY WHEN THEY HAD THE BEST CLAM CHOWDER SOUP, ANY WAY BUT WHERE YOU SEE THE PICTURE OF THE YOUNG MAN IT LOOKS LIKE HE WAS COMING FROM THE MALL EXIT BY TIFFANY'S THEN CROSS OVER TO THE COPLLY.  YOU SEE WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD NOT EVEN KNOW FROM HIS POSSITION YOU COULD GO TO THE UP SCALE SHOPPING MALL TO THE COPPLY MALL TO THE MARRIOTT OR TO GROUND LEVEL FOR YOUR CAR FROM PARKING AFTER SHOPPING.  JUST A THOUGHT.

April 27, 2009, 3:07 pm CDT

It will end when the violence against women ends !

Quote From: lilli09

Living only 2 minutes from his home town in Sherrill NY I must say this is a little to close to home. I am shocked and yet outraged by what this kid has done. I guess it just goes to show you that even the ones from the small close communitys can be the ones to shock the world. It is scary to know that coming from the area where i live a killer lurked around the corner. But even I am so sick of hearing about it everyday. I cant even go to work without this whole thing coming up. I know its big news for our area, but come on, when will it end?

It will end when the violence against women ends !

Hearing about it, in a sense is a lesson of sorts, an education as to the reality around YOU.

1 out 3 women, perhaps and surely in your community are victims of VIOLENCE perpetrated against them.

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN IS AN EPIDEMIC IN OUR COUNTRY.

Finally, more folks across the land are pulling their heads up out of the sand !

April 27, 2009, 3:42 pm CDT

The Constitution

First, I would like to say that I enjoy your show.  But it worries me when you and other talk show hosts have shows like the 4/27 show on the Craigslist Killer before he has gone to trial.  I realize that it might be very interesting, but I also think that it might make it hard to find an impartial jury after this has been on national tv.  From what I have heard, I think that Philip Markoff is probably guilty, but that is not my decision to make.  In the Constitution we are guaranteed a fair trial and we are supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty.  And the defendent is not supposed to have to prove he is innocent.  The burden is on the prosecution to prove he is guilty.  I have served on a jury before and I know that details come out that are never reported in the media.  We need to think of Mr. Markoff as innocent until he is tried by a jury.  Let them decide if he is innocent or guilty.  This does not mean that I am insensitive to the victims and families in this case. My heart, love and prayers go out to them and this includes the victims in his family.         Since 9-11 we have lost so many freedoms and as citizens of the United States we need to be vigilant about our freedom.  Someday it might be you or me that is arrested and I want a fair trial.

April 27, 2009, 4:08 pm CDT

My thoughts exactly.

Quote From: jllewellyn

Since when did the public become the court of law. This show is ridiculous. It's absolutely shameful. In fact, it is the reason why hundreds of years ago, thousands of women were hanged because they were witches. I get that there is a ton of evidence against this guy, but this is not for us to judge. This is for the judge and jury to decide. I have no problem discussing the dangers of using craigslist. Let's just not crucify the accused before he's even had a trial. I think it's unbelievable that everyone has decided his fate.

Not only that, how can people turn on his fiance. People hide the worst of things from their spouses, no matter how large/small the space is. It's downright shameful how this poor women has to face the fact that potentially the man she loves did this and to face the accusations of other people questioning how she could not have known. Shame on the commentators on this show. Shame on Dr. Phil for allowing this.

"Let he who is WITHOUT sin, cast the first stone."

My thoughts exactly. Plus like you said; his fiancée had nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Unfortunately, around this country, it's "Guilty Until Proven Innocent." Do you know how many innocents are sitting in jail right now & are being condemned by people for something that they didn't do? And then their names are wound up being cleared in the end as soon as they discover real clues & evidence? I feel sorry for them.

April 27, 2009, 4:28 pm CDT

Craigslist

Wow I would not recommend anybody use this internet service. I checked it out myself, lot of very strange people on there.  I thought that plenty of fish was strange, this one makes pof seem tame, and it is not only men who play games on these internet dating sites, women can be game players as well.

Cheers John. 

April 27, 2009, 6:06 pm CDT

So predictable

Quote From: jllewellyn

Since when did the public become the court of law. This show is ridiculous. It's absolutely shameful. In fact, it is the reason why hundreds of years ago, thousands of women were hanged because they were witches. I get that there is a ton of evidence against this guy, but this is not for us to judge. This is for the judge and jury to decide. I have no problem discussing the dangers of using craigslist. Let's just not crucify the accused before he's even had a trial. I think it's unbelievable that everyone has decided his fate.

Not only that, how can people turn on his fiance. People hide the worst of things from their spouses, no matter how large/small the space is. It's downright shameful how this poor women has to face the fact that potentially the man she loves did this and to face the accusations of other people questioning how she could not have known. Shame on the commentators on this show. Shame on Dr. Phil for allowing this.

"Let he who is WITHOUT sin, cast the first stone."
I predicted your post. Knew it would be only a matter of time before dr phil started getting crank postr bashing him for airing this show. It is his constiutional right to air any show he chooses to. Freedom of speech clause.

April 27, 2009, 6:33 pm CDT

How ironic

Quote From: jewelsf

Well, I just have to point this out. On the topic "The Dark Side of the Internet" I was slammed for saying that prostitution was dangerous. Another poster compared it to skydiving, para-sailing, skiing, swimming, Nascar, flying in planes, and the Space Shuttle. I was accused of having morals. Well, I certainly don't mind being accused of having morals, I'm rather proud of them. But the fact that a woman was murdered by posting her services on Craigslist was exactly what I had said could happen. It's a very dangerous occupation for any young woman to participate in.

Believe me, I would rather have been wrong than for some young woman to have lost her life. But maybe this will help others who do this to get out, help to give them the strength they need to quit. Or maybe it will help to keep at least one girl from starting. I don't know, I can only hope. As to banning the above mentioned sports and activities no, I don't believe in that. There is an obvious difference in being murdered rather than being killed while playing a sport or cleaning windows on a skyscraper. If others can't see it then I pity them.

Hi Jewel it's Mary. I've been really busy BARTENDING ..Yes LOL but am going to shoot you a email this week,just busy but thinking about your niece.

How ironic is this that this happened shortly,after the Dark side of the internet post. I am a little irritated at a few people on here who say she deserved it.This hits home and is REALLY scary!! It shows ones screening process means nothing and wouldn't get any better than a young educated med student. Your point does prove this is TOTALY  dangerous and women have NOTHING to gage their safety with.Anyone can be a sociopath!!!

I would have seens someone like him in a minute.....SO SCARY and I thanki god I've taken action to stop. I'll write more an a email later.

Hugs

April 27, 2009, 7:40 pm CDT

This kind looking person has darkness all around

This is a person who has no remorse and for him to study medicine. This would of been the worse career choice if he did not like something the patient would of been dead. A family that did not know I find this hard to believe and family with a law person and other professionals let this person slip by to kill this young woman. This is one sad sad case and a life long psychology test.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last