Message Boards

Topic : 04/27 Craigslist Killer? Profile of the Med Student Accused

Number of Replies: 44
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 23, 2009, 02:11:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
What would drive a young man with a bright and promising future to allegedly commit such a brutal crime? Dr. Phil goes behind the headlines and takes a look inside the life of the accused Craigslist killer Philip Markoff. He speaks to a close college buddy of the Boston University medical student and also hears from a photographer who had worked with Julissa Brisman, the murdered woman who advertised her masseuse services on Craigslist. What does the hotel surveillance footage reveal on the night Julissa was shot? Plus, Markoff's fiancée claims that the clean-cut student couldn't have committed such a heinous act. Dr. Phil deconstructs a case that has shocked the country. You don't want to miss this riveting show! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 28, 2009, 10:08 am CDT

Anyone ever hear not to judge a book by its cover?

Even now, after Jeff Dahmer, BTK,  Ted Bundy, and many more, people still haven't figured out that you can't go by appearances. Dr. Phil mentioned it several times, which was necessary, but still, people today seem to be as ignorant about these things as before. Clearly we're living in a society where appearance is everything. Someday I hope we move past this, because as it has been made obvious over the years, appearance means nothing. Successful serial killers are never the grungy, dumpy, evil looking men who walk around the town. It's the ones who can be the most inconspicuous. When will we figure this out?

April 28, 2009, 10:12 am CDT

04/27 Craigslist Killer? Profile of the Med Student Accused

Quote From: manofgoods

My thoughts exactly. Plus like you said; his fiancée had nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Unfortunately, around this country, it's "Guilty Until Proven Innocent." Do you know how many innocents are sitting in jail right now & are being condemned by people for something that they didn't do? And then their names are wound up being cleared in the end as soon as they discover real clues & evidence? I feel sorry for them.

It didn't seem to me that Phil looked fearful at all, or ashamed with what he is being charged. Sometimes the guilty give themselves away, evidence or no evidence. What about Scott Peterson? They never found any solid evidence for his case, but everybody knows he was guilty. Same with OJ. And in terms of "let he without sin cast the first stone", I can honestly say I've never murdered anyone, so in this case, I would volunteer to cast the first stone.

April 29, 2009, 10:56 am CDT

An example!

Quote From: sister3

When people start standing up and turning in the sickos and the criminals that they know whether they are relatives or not the world will be on the right track. This guy LOOKS guilty, and his girlfriend ought to be thanking God that she found out about him before she married him. She should have kept her mouth shut and said NOTHING because she is going to look like a fool when he is convicted.

one of you said, people are always going to stand up for the people they love, well that is not true, What about tough love, some people are only going to change their behavior when those who love them quit protecting them, quit making excuses for them, quit bailing them out. I'm glad they caught him when they did. I don't believe in the erotic listings on craigslist, but no one should be killed because of them.

Anyone remember the Unabomber? His own brother turned him in knowing full well that he would be up for the death penalty. That had to be hard on the brother, but he knew he had to do the right thing. Too bad we don't have more people like this on this earth.

April 29, 2009, 11:13 am CDT

I'm sooooo happy for you!

Quote From: maryishopeful

Hi Jewel it's Mary. I've been really busy BARTENDING ..Yes LOL but am going to shoot you a email this week,just busy but thinking about your niece.

How ironic is this that this happened shortly,after the Dark side of the internet post. I am a little irritated at a few people on here who say she deserved it.This hits home and is REALLY scary!! It shows ones screening process means nothing and wouldn't get any better than a young educated med student. Your point does prove this is TOTALY  dangerous and women have NOTHING to gage their safety with.Anyone can be a sociopath!!!

I would have seens someone like him in a minute.....SO SCARY and I thanki god I've taken action to stop. I'll write more an a email later.

Hugs

Hi Mary,

I'm happy to hear that you got the job, I knew you would! Gut feeling! There is no way anyone can tell who is a murderer, looks and money mean nothing. And to read that others felt she deserved it? That infuriates me! No woman deserves what happened to her! It reminds of a woman who is raped and the focus is what she was wearing at the time. Who cares? If a woman is dressed skimpy that doesn't mean she deserves to be raped.

After I went through the attempted kidnapping & assault with a deadly weapon, (obviously I survived) the first question most people would ask me is "What were you wearing?".  I was so terribly offended! BTW, I happened to be wearing Levi 501's, sneakers, and a striped long sleeved polo shirt. Not sexy!  So yeah, I was really asking for it.

I'll be looking forward to that email. I know you must be busy but I would love to chat with you.

Big Hugs back,

Jewels

April 29, 2009, 11:21 am CDT

I had to look also!

Quote From: sweetjohn

Wow I would not recommend anybody use this internet service. I checked it out myself, lot of very strange people on there.  I thought that plenty of fish was strange, this one makes pof seem tame, and it is not only men who play games on these internet dating sites, women can be game players as well.

Cheers John. 

I must admit that I was surprised on how open and blatant the services for 'Erotica' were/are. Personally I believe that Internet dating is very dangerous, you have no instinct from the person with whom you are corresponding with. Even regular dating is dangerous but a woman has her natural 'fight or flight' instincts to rely on. Now try taking a look at the other forums on Craigslist such as the "Over 50" forum. Most of the people on there talk/act like they are a bunch of 12 year olds. (Excuse me, that's insulting 12 year old's!) Amazing how fast and loose the talk is in any of the forums, anything goes, everythings allowed.

April 29, 2009, 11:29 am CDT

This isn't the first.......

Quote From: patriot1776

First, I would like to say that I enjoy your show.  But it worries me when you and other talk show hosts have shows like the 4/27 show on the Craigslist Killer before he has gone to trial.  I realize that it might be very interesting, but I also think that it might make it hard to find an impartial jury after this has been on national tv.  From what I have heard, I think that Philip Markoff is probably guilty, but that is not my decision to make.  In the Constitution we are guaranteed a fair trial and we are supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty.  And the defendent is not supposed to have to prove he is innocent.  The burden is on the prosecution to prove he is guilty.  I have served on a jury before and I know that details come out that are never reported in the media.  We need to think of Mr. Markoff as innocent until he is tried by a jury.  Let them decide if he is innocent or guilty.  This does not mean that I am insensitive to the victims and families in this case. My heart, love and prayers go out to them and this includes the victims in his family.         Since 9-11 we have lost so many freedoms and as citizens of the United States we need to be vigilant about our freedom.  Someday it might be you or me that is arrested and I want a fair trial.
And certainly won't be the last case that is shown on TV. I'm much more concerned over the Casey Anthony case. For some odd reason the detectives have allowed the video (before and during interrogation) of her to be shown on national TV. It's very inflammatory and could could give the defense a good reason to have a guilty verdict turned over. Sure, feed the public some of what's going on but don't disclose everything. Food for thought: OJ Simpson was blasted over every channel yet he still walked away a free man. That kind of blows your theory!

April 29, 2009, 11:37 am CDT

I'm never shocked!

Quote From: demarco89

I am so sick and tired of hearing that when a white person who goes to school commits a crime and people kept saying that "oh he lives in a nice neighborhood, he comes from a good family, it's hard to believe that he would do something like that". I do not have have problems with races, because i come from the islands, but all i see here in the USA whenever a white person does something wrong like killing someone the white race community is shocked. But what do we know about that person, he may had problems in his childhood, for examples: hating his mother, or maybe a woman hurt him etc...this is why so many people get away with murder, when they are white, educated, come from a nice neighborhood and a nice family, or they are other race and have money. Wake up America stop being so naive!

Hey, I was raised and still am upper middle class but I have never been shocked or surprised by a white man from a good background killing a white woman. Actually, most serial killers ARE white men. Murderer's come in all shapes & sizes, from all walks of life, and every color of skin.

So before you say "Wake up America stop being so naive", think twice. That's as narrow minded as you are accusing others to be.

April 29, 2009, 11:39 am CDT

When will it end?

Quote From: lilli09

Living only 2 minutes from his home town in Sherrill NY I must say this is a little to close to home. I am shocked and yet outraged by what this kid has done. I guess it just goes to show you that even the ones from the small close communitys can be the ones to shock the world. It is scary to know that coming from the area where i live a killer lurked around the corner. But even I am so sick of hearing about it everyday. I cant even go to work without this whole thing coming up. I know its big news for our area, but come on, when will it end?

It just recently happened for goodness sake!

April 29, 2009, 11:56 am CDT

what we got going on here is bascially a ted bundy Jr. I am glad they got this psycho before it got any worse.

April 29, 2009, 8:23 pm CDT

Quote From: princessgina

what we got going on here is bascially a ted bundy Jr. I am glad they got this psycho before it got any worse.
Me too.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last