Message Boards

Topic : 08/03 Dump Your Dreams?

Number of Replies: 35
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 24, 2009, 02:53:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/30/09) What happens when the pursuit of a dream causes tension in your family? How long do you struggle before it's time to give up your goals, get real and move on with your life? Dr. Phil's guests are husbands and fathers who strive to become stars in the music industry, but are they putting their family's future at risk along the way? Dan says he has several dreams he chases, and he gave up a successful full-time job to pursue a career as a pianist and songwriter. His wife, Sharon, is fed up, wants him to focus on one goal and devote more time to his family. They've had to file bankruptcy, but the toll extends far beyond the money. What must Dan do to salvage his relationship? Then, Cristin says her husband, Jaye, puts his dream to produce hit rap music before his family's needs. He even bought music equipment instead of paying their gas bill. Cristin says she's ready to pack her bags and leave, again, if Jaye doesn't step away from the synthesizer and step into their family. Is Jaye's dream a pipe dream or does he have real talent? Find out when both Dan and Jaye are critiqued by legendary music producer David Foster. And, American Idol finalist Kimberly Caldwell shares her advice for making it in the biz. Plus, can you guess what jobs celebrities held before becoming famous? Take a quiz and find out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 3, 2009, 10:26 pm CDT

you're right....

Quote From: lsneuma

I just have to comment on today's topic.  My son is an extremely talented musician; he took lessons for one year from Roberta Flack's guitarist who told us he couldn't teach him any more...he had a natural talent and could read music like any of us read a novel.  Mike would have loved, more than anything, to have found a career as a musician but LIFE got in the way and he voluntarily assumed its responsibilities.  He was married at 19; a father at 20, two more children before he was 25.  When his youngest was less than a year old, his wife was diagnosed with MS.  I know that most 25 year-olds would have turned tail and run if theyhad found out, after 3 kids, that the wife was diagnosed with MS andthat, ultimately, all responsibilities would fall on them.  My sonstood by his vows, took care of his wife, worked full timeand still came home to care for his children.  Thankfully, she was able to receive a new drug that has slowed the progression of the disease dramatically but she chose to "milk it".   Even before her illness, he never wanted her to work; said he didn't care if they ate beans and weinies, he wanted her to be with their children. Unfortunately, the disease, her selfishness and her very violent temper caused the marriage to fail.  He walked on eggshells for 16 years and did everything in his power to keep the marriage together, including his dream of being a professional musician.  When he told the children that he and their mother were getting a divorce, they applauded him and said "it's about time."  Since the divorce, he has met and married a wonderful woman who fully supports him and his music.  He continues to work full-time and now plays in a band part-time.  He has the best of both worlds.  I am so proud of him and the man he has become.  The first marriage destroyed his spirit but now he has someone who loves him unconditionally, has restored his spirit and supports everything he does.  These dreamers who were on the show today are also losers.  Every one of those so-called men need to grow up and be the man their mothers raised them to be.
... your son is somebody that we should all model ourselves after. That is the man that I want to be - I do love my wife and my kids and would die trying to support their every need. However, to call me "loser" based on a 10 minute segment of an edited version of me - is un called for. The show doesn't point out that I do make a decent living with playing the piano, well above the national average. I also have 3 other jobs that are growing continually. I work relentlessly. At home - I go to every T-ball, soccer, basketball game. I change more diapers and give more bottles and help with more homework than most fathers I know. I also take the kids to the pool once a week, do most of the house cleaning, and still have one "fun day" to give to the kids every week. Our debt and the majority of it, is because of bad circumstances - people "screwing" me out of lots of money, medical issues, irresponsible spending by both me and my wife. I thought this show would be to encourage somebody like me, not put me down. But in a way... you're right... I am a "loser." I haven't amounted to anything that I thought I would become. If you would like to get to know me before you make any more harsh judgments against me you can learn about me on my my space - dan taulbee. thank you for your input and your time. God bless!!

May 3, 2009, 10:38 pm CDT

10 minutes and I'm diagnosed..

Quote From: marialoeoni

Hello, in my laywoman's opinion,guest 1 is a classic sociopath living a parasitic existence, playing mind games and lying to his wife in order to avoid responsibility. His only goal is avoiding responsibilities and work. Sweetheart, married to this guy, learning about sociopaths may help you understand why his words never match his actions.
Google "sociopath", read some books on how they operate. He was totally fake crying on stage and pretending to care that he's a royal pain in your backside and hurting his family with his "dreams". what about your dream? After you had you baby you were duped, what kind of woman can leave a bum of a husband right after giving birth. (Something like this has happened to me right after the birth of a bb and once i understood the sociopaths' game- i did leave) You are not alone. i think he conned you, and even the good Dr. (Dr. Phil- at least please post up the sx of a sociopath on your site).
He will try to fool everyone and will always blame someone else, there will always be an excuse.
learn all you can about sociopaths . this will help you understand. i'm not an expert or a dr, but just someone who sees herself in your sad shoes. you are not the only fool for love and marriage and family. maybe i am wrong, but if i could help you understand that this is not your fault, and that you are not the only one duped by a con, than i feel better. then my own sad story will not be in vain.
ps. they prey on those who believe in marriage, keeping commitments and being a good person. objectively look at what he does vs what he says. God Bless.
... as a sociopath!?!?! You saw an edited 10 minute version of me. I get teary eyed every time I think about how much I love my kids.... I was fighting the tears the whole time on stage. Plus, my wife was balling her eyes out... how do you think that makes me feel!?!? very depressed that she feels that way!! Do you honestly think that all our debt is the result of me following my dreams!?!? We have spending issues, 3 premature babies with expensive medical bills, 4 lawsuits in the last year, 5 emergency room visits, plus all my other injuries requiring MRI's etc..., people stealing and cheating me out of money, which bank rupted my business, 5 months in the hospital this year alone.... add that up and tell me how many people you know could afford that. What the show doesn't tell you - is that I make a great living playing the piano and have other businesses also. I worked over 80 hours last week!! My problems are more circumstances than me following a dream - but the edited version of the show deletes my reasoning... but judge away - stone me. or you could get to know me. dan taulbee. look me up.

July 31, 2009, 11:40 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Dream Dump Phil. I hate to said this I have allready dream dump in to trash cans anyway.See you--

on August Monday 03rd.  2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------

August 2, 2009, 6:20 am CDT

Nice site

this is such a great site, thanks for sharing everyone!

August 3, 2009, 12:57 am CDT

08/03 Dump Your Dreams?

You should never give up on your dreams. The only time you should give up them are is when they are only dreams and you are doing nothing to pursue them. That is the difference between trying and dreaming

August 3, 2009, 7:19 am CDT

I sure Hope y'all don't miss out on LIVE chat with Dr. Phil & family

Dr. Phil and family are sharing vacation pics in AUSTRALIA... and have been chit chatting with us on twitter and Dr. Phil's blog for over a month. Where have y'all been? Wish you were there too.

http://blog.drphil.com/

http://twitter.com/DrPhil

http://twitter.com/jaymcgraw

http://twitter.com/robin_mcgraw

http://twitter.com/penninca (Dr. Phil Show Producer, Carla)

Sincerely,

http://twitter.com/SEAangels14

P.S. Hope y'all don't miss out on LIVE chat with Dr. Phil & family

August 4, 2009, 12:54 am CDT

08/03 Dump Your Dreams?

I love shows like these ones because I appreciate my husband so much more.  I can't comprehend how those two men especially the last one can be so selfish and say their family are first but their actions show the complete opposite.   It would be great to have a show where we can celebrate great men.  My husband is serving a year in Iraq (as a civilian) so that my children and I can have a better life.  I know he hates being there but like he says "I will never stop for my family".  Of course he has dreams of his own, but because he made a decision to have a family, our needs have become his priority.  I wish I was able to express my gratitude to him but I guess it will have to wait til he returns.  Thank you Dr. Phil, we sometimes need to recognize the good in our lives  and how  bless we are.

August 7, 2009, 11:27 am CDT

broaden your horizon

Most relationships have one person who is kind of living their dream, job wise and one who manages the rest. You have to be honest and upfront with someone though. If it isn't cutting it and never will, that's what it is. Plan B Honey.

August 8, 2009, 6:50 am CDT

This is sad...

This is a bit sad and can get out of control very easily and has in my life many times. I have had issues with ex and current girlfriends and this topic for years.

August 10, 2009, 7:23 am CDT

08/03 Dump Your Dreams?

Why does this clueless "musician" and his wife think it's ok for a charitable organization to be paying their bills, when they are spending a fortune on equipment? That is supposed to be for people with real problems. Why didn't Phil call him on this? This guy needs to get a job and start spending time with his kids, but he won't. He just doesn't get it at all. He kept saying he's doing this for his family...does he think we're stupid?? Of course, this immaturity didn't just appear overnight...surely the wife had clues before she married him and had children with him.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next | Last