Message Boards

Topic : 08/03 Dump Your Dreams?

Number of Replies: 35
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 24, 2009, 02:53:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/30/09) What happens when the pursuit of a dream causes tension in your family? How long do you struggle before it's time to give up your goals, get real and move on with your life? Dr. Phil's guests are husbands and fathers who strive to become stars in the music industry, but are they putting their family's future at risk along the way? Dan says he has several dreams he chases, and he gave up a successful full-time job to pursue a career as a pianist and songwriter. His wife, Sharon, is fed up, wants him to focus on one goal and devote more time to his family. They've had to file bankruptcy, but the toll extends far beyond the money. What must Dan do to salvage his relationship? Then, Cristin says her husband, Jaye, puts his dream to produce hit rap music before his family's needs. He even bought music equipment instead of paying their gas bill. Cristin says she's ready to pack her bags and leave, again, if Jaye doesn't step away from the synthesizer and step into their family. Is Jaye's dream a pipe dream or does he have real talent? Find out when both Dan and Jaye are critiqued by legendary music producer David Foster. And, American Idol finalist Kimberly Caldwell shares her advice for making it in the biz. Plus, can you guess what jobs celebrities held before becoming famous? Take a quiz and find out!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 24, 2009, 6:24 pm CDT

If your dream isn`t paying the bills

Get a day job! It is irresponsible to bankrupt your family over a silly dream.

April 25, 2009, 2:29 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Dreams Dump Phil/Robin Your. My dream is move to Loveland, Colorado after I m retire. See you---

on April Thursday 30th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------

April 30, 2009, 1:10 am CDT

Hopes and Dreams

Dreams aren't always a bad thing. Dreams are a sign that a person has hope, hope for love, hope for happiness, hope for a better future. When you start to stop dreaming, you start stop having hope. Hope  is a significant coping mechanism. If you don't  have some kind of hope, you give up on life and stop trying to make things better.

At the moment I'm running a little low on hopes and dreams. I wrote Dr. Phil and I even wrote the President. I'm hanging on by a thread. I need to be busy, I need to be employed, I need to be productive. The only thing I could think of to help myself thtough this is start a blog. It's actually been very threraputic thus far. I just had to vent some things out of me. http://cutenetta.blogspot.com/

Looking for just about any help I can get  right now. Hope your hopes and dreams sustain you through your tough times.

April 30, 2009, 11:24 am CDT

04/30 Dump Your Dreams?

Years back my husband had a dream of being a famous musician as well.  He even got an offer to be a member in a famous heavy metal band, but he didn't want to leave me.  We we'ren't married at the time.  Instead he bought a computor and taught himself to do animation, which he loved.  Now he makes animated commercials for local car dealerships and furniture stores around the country.  He's also trying to get an animated show on TV, that's his new dream.  The commercials just pay the bills.  A person doesn't just have to have one dream.   On top of that he plays gigs around town for fun when asked.   He told me he's never regretted the decision he made to stay with me instead of being a famous headbanger. 

These guys on the show have made a prior commitment to their families and that's where their loyalties should lie first.  Pay the bills with some other job, all the while pursuing your dreams.  That's what a responsible and caring husband and father would do.  

April 30, 2009, 1:23 pm CDT

04/30 Dump Your Dreams?

I'm surprised she has stayed with him as long as she has. Nobody is saying to not have "hobbies" i.e. Music, body building.

But why can he do what the rest of us do & work & earm $ inbetween all of that.

April 30, 2009, 1:52 pm CDT

follow your dream

the first man is using  the excuse of "following his dreams" to be lazy, sleep in the daytime and not have a job. Hes a poor excuse for a husband, father, and man. His wife would be better off without him and  going on public assistance which is a last resort and which makes him a BIG loser.

The second guy is a blowhard that needs an attitude adjustment. Hes abrasive, blames his wife, pouts like a spoiled child. No one is going to tell him anything, hes going to do whatever HE wants to do and the hell with the family. He will find a way to blame his wife for any failures.  

April 30, 2009, 2:14 pm CDT

Contestants in the STUPID HUSBAND CONTEST?

Take it from a former entertainer and  musician who left the business TO BE A HUSBAND--

David Foster professionally sugar-coated his comments.  Dream Boy # 1 your playing is merely keyboard drills, and not very good ones.  No Melody or glue to hold them together. Only CORRECT practice makes perfect.  Dream Boy # 2 you need a shave and you musical ramblings are junk.  Do either of even have an "ear"?

Work on being men and sell off your uselss toys.

April 30, 2009, 2:19 pm CDT

appalled

Dr. Phil

I can't believe you let the second guy off the hook. This man lives in nice house and has thousands of dollars in crap music equipment, and he has a charity organization pay his gas bill.  I  am physically disabled, and have  2 children. How could this scumbag take from the limited coffers of these generous organizations that people with REAL problems need. And you barely acknowledge this. Thanks for you your effforts. It seems that these charities are overwelmed these days.  I'm disappointed in you.  Maybe it could be a show in the future, but what idiot would admit to ripping off charities.   

April 30, 2009, 2:45 pm CDT

gasbill

Quote From: tonybu

Dr. Phil

I can't believe you let the second guy off the hook. This man lives in nice house and has thousands of dollars in crap music equipment, and he has a charity organization pay his gas bill.  I  am physically disabled, and have  2 children. How could this scumbag take from the limited coffers of these generous organizations that people with REAL problems need. And you barely acknowledge this. Thanks for you your effforts. It seems that these charities are overwelmed these days.  I'm disappointed in you.  Maybe it could be a show in the future, but what idiot would admit to ripping off charities.   

i totally agree this  is unbelievable !!!

i  am on medical leave and can;t  hardly  come up with money to feed my son,and here this jerk is having his gasbill paid by charity? and then they both don't see a thing wrong with this ?

wow no wonder this country is in a mess.

April 30, 2009, 2:58 pm CDT

Hello? there is a name for this...(unsolicited advice to his wife)

Hello, in my laywoman's opinion,guest 1 is a classic sociopath living a parasitic existence, playing mind games and lying to his wife in order to avoid responsibility. His only goal is avoiding responsibilities and work. Sweetheart, married to this guy, learning about sociopaths may help you understand why his words never match his actions.
Google "sociopath", read some books on how they operate. He was totally fake crying on stage and pretending to care that he's a royal pain in your backside and hurting his family with his "dreams". what about your dream? After you had you baby you were duped, what kind of woman can leave a bum of a husband right after giving birth. (Something like this has happened to me right after the birth of a bb and once i understood the sociopaths' game- i did leave) You are not alone. i think he conned you, and even the good Dr. (Dr. Phil- at least please post up the sx of a sociopath on your site).
He will try to fool everyone and will always blame someone else, there will always be an excuse.
learn all you can about sociopaths . this will help you understand. i'm not an expert or a dr, but just someone who sees herself in your sad shoes. you are not the only fool for love and marriage and family. maybe i am wrong, but if i could help you understand that this is not your fault, and that you are not the only one duped by a con, than i feel better. then my own sad story will not be in vain.
ps. they prey on those who believe in marriage, keeping commitments and being a good person. objectively look at what he does vs what he says. God Bless.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last