Message Boards

Topic : 08/14 Teens: Pressure to Be Pretty

Number of Replies: 91
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 24, 2009, 02:53:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/01/09) Cosmetic surgery among teens 18 and younger has more than tripled over a 10-year period. Dr. Phil talks to young women who say they face pressure from the media, their peers and even their own parents to be beautiful. Eighteen-year-old Jennifer says her mom, Martha, wants her to get liposuction, breast implants, a nose job and laser hair removal because she says beauty sells. Jennifer says she’s satisfied with her looks, and she wants her mom to back off. Dr. Phil gives Martha a wake-up call, and it’s not pretty! Then, 18-year-old Ashley says she wants a second breast implant surgery to increase to a Double-D cup size because “pretty people get more opportunities in life.” Ashley’s father and stepmother say the first surgery was necessary to boost Ashley’s self-esteem, but they’re against her getting any more procedures. Will Ashley change her mind about going under the knife again? Plus, meet a 17-year-old who says it’s not only time for breast implants, but also for Botox for her crow’s feet, and lip and cheek injections! Weigh in!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2009, 2:00 pm CDT

Thanks

Quote From: sunshdel

They just dont understand the discomfort in all of this.  I have a 16yr old neice who is currently at a 36 EE with a 27 inch waist and about 34 inch hips... and is for frustrated with the discomfort, the looks, and the problems to find correctly fitted bras!!

I see her having to have a reduction as did her mother who was (38 FF) and in so much pain.

they just dont understand... while it is eye stopping but not for the reasons they are choosing..

I am glad that someoone else is trying to put this information out, I posted because I have large breasts and it is nothing like what these girls think it will be like. I have been comtemplating breast reduction for years to get rid of what these girls are striving to get! It is painful, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find bras and clothes and you will be judged. My breats are natural and I get a lot of negative attention from men because of this unfortunate situation. Think about what you are doing! It is not a walk in the park.

May 1, 2009, 2:06 pm CDT

Tracy Sweetie You are beautiful

I am an adolescent counselor and as well I was a summer camp counselor for Tracy in past years.   I am also a family friend of Dr. Rose, so please excuse my investment in this story. I just want Tracy to know that she is a very beautiful girl inside and out. She is petite and proportionate, and I hope that she will really think it through before resorting to drastic surgeries.

I hope she will think about her reasoning for wanting the procedures- the number of things that she wants at 17 years old leads me to believe that her desires may not just be skin deep.

I wish her nothing but the best as she goes forward in life, and I hope that she is able to fully embrace what a wonderful person she is and this exciting time in her life.

May 1, 2009, 2:11 pm CDT

Really sad that this info was missing

It's very irresponsible of the Dr. Phil Show not to explain that the body is not finished maturing at 17 and 18 years old.  Women's breasts typically get about a cup size larger by their early to mid 20s.  That this information was left out really has me questioning the validity of any advice given on this show.  I mean, this is REALLY irresponsible.  A doctor, other than a plastic surgeon who I'd NEVER expect to mention it, should have mentioned this.  17 and 18 year olds haven't typically even reached their normal adult weight yet.  I've heard the development of the brain mentioned many times on this show, and that the development of the body was neglected is really sickening to me.  My own breasts increased a cup size (B to C) between high school and college, and this was the experience of many of the women I've known.

Also, girls who keep themselves unnaturally thin, a topic I saw advertised for an upcoming show, will have less breast tissue and MORE wrinkles in their skin due to lack of normal, healthy fat and dehydration from trying to abolish "water weight" by taking diuretics or abusing laxatives.  Annorexic girls often have this look to their skin.  The 17 year old on the show looked extremely thin, though no mention was made of this.  She wanted a number of procedures done that Dr. Phil did not agree were appropriate, so why is breast augmentation?  Shouldn't there have been some discussion about her body image in general?

Dr. Phil, you missed the boat.  Really disappointing. 

May 1, 2009, 2:22 pm CDT

Unbelievable!!!

Dr. Phil,
I am shocked. I can not believe that you basically gave your 17 year old guest the O.K. to get breast augmentation.
A) She is too young.
B) You are a professional, and people look to you for sound advise. Which I don't think you gave.
C) It is a completely superficial look at life. Why didn't you mention that?

I'm sorry, I generally agree with your views. Although this piece of advice was WAY off! That little girl should be more concerned with saving her money to goto college not a BOOB JOB! (by the way she is beautiful just the way she is and seriously does NOT need to change!)

Was this just free publicity for the plastic surgeon?

What kind of children is our society raising these day's? They should be volunteering their time...not worrying about how big their breasts are. There are too many problems in the world today to be concerned with such a frivolous problem.

Trust me...I do understand not feeling adequate with the body you are born with, but please, going under the knife will not solve anything. Why didn't you try to detour her from the procedure?

Thanks for the venting board...I feel better now.
Peace,
Karrie from Wisconsin

May 1, 2009, 2:27 pm CDT

Bigger is not always better

I am hoping that the teen who wants an additional cup increase will reconsider.  I grew up with the measurements 34DD-26-32 .  Although some of my friends considered me lucky, I myself never knew whether men were interested in me or my body.  Especially when there gaze was constantly just below my neck.  After my second child I had the measurements of  38 F -28-33 .  I can remember being in a dressing room bawling, because everything I put on looked like a circus tent.  I had a breast reduction a year after and now am the smallest I have ever been, 34D-26-32  and have never been more happy with my appearance.   The only doors that the larger breasts opened for me was, insecurity, migraines, intense back pain, cat calls, rude comments, and embarrassment.    I myself would much rather open doors with my hands than my bust.

May 1, 2009, 2:30 pm CDT

Intelligent??

The first girl is so beautiful and sweet.  How dare her mother treat her that way !?  If the mom is going to keep critisizing her daughter's looks, maybe she should start by looking in the mirror and doing something about her own ridiculously clownish eyebrows!!!  Wow! the gall!

They keep saying of Ashley how smart she is... clearly, she ain't that smart baby!!!

May 1, 2009, 2:38 pm CDT

Good Point

Quote From: seeingclearly

It's very irresponsible of the Dr. Phil Show not to explain that the body is not finished maturing at 17 and 18 years old.  Women's breasts typically get about a cup size larger by their early to mid 20s.  That this information was left out really has me questioning the validity of any advice given on this show.  I mean, this is REALLY irresponsible.  A doctor, other than a plastic surgeon who I'd NEVER expect to mention it, should have mentioned this.  17 and 18 year olds haven't typically even reached their normal adult weight yet.  I've heard the development of the brain mentioned many times on this show, and that the development of the body was neglected is really sickening to me.  My own breasts increased a cup size (B to C) between high school and college, and this was the experience of many of the women I've known.

Also, girls who keep themselves unnaturally thin, a topic I saw advertised for an upcoming show, will have less breast tissue and MORE wrinkles in their skin due to lack of normal, healthy fat and dehydration from trying to abolish "water weight" by taking diuretics or abusing laxatives.  Annorexic girls often have this look to their skin.  The 17 year old on the show looked extremely thin, though no mention was made of this.  She wanted a number of procedures done that Dr. Phil did not agree were appropriate, so why is breast augmentation?  Shouldn't there have been some discussion about her body image in general?

Dr. Phil, you missed the boat.  Really disappointing. 

You're so right about the brain not being fully developed.

Dr. Phil,
Don't you think that brain development would have something to do with these little girls having such negative self-images?

GIRLS...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...re-evaluate your choices. The choices you make at this time in your life are very important.

Again, please make the correct ones. It really does say something about you as an individual.

Good Luck Ladies.

May 1, 2009, 2:55 pm CDT

In need of a new mother

I do hope that Ashely realizes that there are many things that can go wrong with the surgery. Why would you want to add pressure to your life!? And don't you end up being in bed for more than three months after the surgery.
Mark is right, people aren't going to see Ashely as a person, they are going to see her as a big breasted girl with no real smarts-kind of like Elle Woods, from Legally Blond.
Ashley's a beautiful girl, and doesn't need plastic surgery.

Jennifer's mother, on the other hand....i have no words for that women. If my mother was telling me that, and I'm only 19, I would think of her as crazy. I would never ask my mother for her opinion on what I looked like in an outfit. It's hard enough to ask my mother for her opinion: if she acted the way Jennifer's mother did, I'd never do it.  A mother is suppose to encourage you and nurture you, not make you feel like someone's' constantly throwing a dodge ball in your gut.  After spending nine months carrying a child in or womb, why would you spend time degrading and discouraging your child about her beauty?
Girl's have enough pressure have by the media and of course, boys......There is no reason to throw yourself under the medical fix it people....unless you have a broken nose or something like that.

Tracy is something else. I have no idea what to say to that girl....and WHAT right reasons? She's 17!!!! BOLD and Underline! She may be a good candiate physical, but mentally....well, I won't bother.

May 1, 2009, 2:55 pm CDT

Wakeup Call to Women!

Dr. Phil,

I recently turned 19 years old, and am a freshman at Colorado State University with a 3.8 GPA. Throughout high school I made many accomplishments. Two years ago I was crowned the Rodeo Queen of my county, won Miss Horsemanship and Miss Speech. I was in the student council, competed and succeeded in 4-H for ten years and started a successful business with my brother and father.

Since I was in 8th grade my boobs have grown like wildfire! I went from a flat chested pre-teen to a high schooler with a D cup within two years. Instead of being taken seriously in relationships I dive into, I am looked at as just someone they want as a notch on their belt. By now i'm used to boys and men staring, but it is definatly not flattering. In fact, it makes me feel more like a piece of meat being dangled into a lions pen. After having to go through physical therapy to strengthen my back, and a whole new wardrobe of clothes I'm finally beginning to fit into them.

I am a strong believer in the idea that sucess comes from how hard you work, not how good you look. If you want a place in this world you need to be taken seriously and as much as it may seem that big breasts aid in this, they don't! Employers don't interview women to find the biggest breasted, tightest looking person. They want the most hard working, smart, and intelligent workers they can find. Especially in these economic times!

If I had the chance to talk to the girls on your show today, I would tell them that as cliche' as it sounds, beauty comes from within and sucess comes from your work ethic. Society, your friends, boyfriends, family, or anyone else telling you that you need plastic surgery are dead wrong! If you really have a confidence issue because of the way you look, you should talk to a counselor and then make an educated decision whether or not a modification would be worth it. Nobody likes someone who is fake, so why should girls undergo platic surgery to become something they truely are not?!

The girls seem to be smart, educated women. So run with that! Run fast and hard! A woman who knows herself and is confident in herself can be just as sexy as someone with a double d. Be proud of who you are and how smart you are! An intelligent, strong, woman is worth more than any boob job!

Best of luck to all the girls on the show, and the many others that are sitting at home watching this.

May 1, 2009, 3:01 pm CDT

This is Absurd

I really can't believe that the one teen who looks so beautiful is being 'bullied" by her Mom to have surgery to make her Mom feel better.  Obviously, the daughter has her act together and the Mom is suffering from some severe insecurity issues.  I applaud the daughter for being confident in her own looks and abilities and for displaying more maturity and substance than her superficial Mom who obviously has nothing under those "not very attractive to me looks."
The girl who wants to look like a cheap bimbo with the double D cup size implants is nuts.  Maybe she was small as a teen, but so are most girls.  After maturing, those attributes make their appearance.  I wasn't huge at 19, but by age 25 (with no additional weight gain) I developed a nice figure and would only feel freakish with bigger breasts.
Seriously, what are we telling our kids?  Mothers are trying to tell their daughters they need to indulge in surgery to succeed.  That's absurd.
Please, ignore the press, the airbrushed society that sets unreal standards, and mothers with no substance to their own personalities other than their own saline and silicone implants. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last