Message Boards

Topic : 08/14 Teens: Pressure to Be Pretty

Number of Replies: 91
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 24, 2009, 02:53:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/01/09) Cosmetic surgery among teens 18 and younger has more than tripled over a 10-year period. Dr. Phil talks to young women who say they face pressure from the media, their peers and even their own parents to be beautiful. Eighteen-year-old Jennifer says her mom, Martha, wants her to get liposuction, breast implants, a nose job and laser hair removal because she says beauty sells. Jennifer says she’s satisfied with her looks, and she wants her mom to back off. Dr. Phil gives Martha a wake-up call, and it’s not pretty! Then, 18-year-old Ashley says she wants a second breast implant surgery to increase to a Double-D cup size because “pretty people get more opportunities in life.” Ashley’s father and stepmother say the first surgery was necessary to boost Ashley’s self-esteem, but they’re against her getting any more procedures. Will Ashley change her mind about going under the knife again? Plus, meet a 17-year-old who says it’s not only time for breast implants, but also for Botox for her crow’s feet, and lip and cheek injections! Weigh in!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2009, 3:21 pm CDT

WOW

IM GONNA MAKE THIS SHORT

DR PHIL BOTH OF THOSE GIRLS WERE VERY PRETTY

IM 37 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE HAD 34DD OR 34 D GOES BACK AND FORTH

I WEIGHT 115 POUNDS AND I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BACK PAIN AND NECK PAIN ON AND OFF FOR YEARS IF SOME OF THEY GIRLS AND WOMEN TALKED TO PEOPLE IM SURE THEY WOULD CHANGE THEIR MINDS I HAVE SO MANY COUSINS THEY HAVE HAD BREAST REDUCTION DONE

THINK ABOUT IT IF I WAS SMALLER I WOULD BE HAPPIER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 1, 2009, 3:21 pm CDT

Try one on for size

Hey Ashley,

Why don't you go out and BUY a DD size bra, go home put it on and stuff it so it is full and then

put your clothes on.  You will see that nothing fits right!  I am 5 ft. with a small frame.  I was

born with my 40 DDD.  I was big at 14 and still am.  It is no fun shopping for tops or bras.  I would

love to be a C again.  Bras in that big of size are all ugly and very expensive.  Tops have to be large or

extra large just to fit across your bust.  Then the rest of the top is too big everywhere else.  You have

a perfect body right now.  Count your blessings.  Also, your posture needs some work.  You need

to stand up and sit up straight.  Don't go bigger, you will regret it.

May 1, 2009, 3:29 pm CDT

I can't believe anyone would think surgery would make them a better person

Don't these people know that Botox has to be redone? Don't they know fake boobs sag too? Don't they know that you can get to much in your lips.. and look like, heaven forbid, Joan Rivers, Kenny Rogers or Burt Reynolds?

This stuff doesn't make you who you are...

May 1, 2009, 3:33 pm CDT

Really...

Quote From: jimster

A lot of us guys had plastic surgeory a a very young age and without our concent its called circencisem. (I hope spelling doesnt count)
Are you serious?
That isn't even a comparison. Get real.

Yes, Spelling does count!

May 1, 2009, 3:45 pm CDT

Unfair Assumption...

I'm 16 years old, and live in San Diego, CA. It is a very had place not to feel pressure to be perfect, but slowly I am coming to love myself the way I am. That is what life is all about. While watching this show, I saw the young girl who wanted DD breast implants. Dr. Phil and her father were obviously trying to talk her out of it, and some of the things they were saying/assumptions they were making about teenagers with DD breasts were unfair and hurtful. I am an ALL NATURAL 34DD, and the things they said actually hurt my feelings. He father said if she were to get the implants, she would attract the, "Wrong kinds of people..." and Dr. Phil said they would become her defining feature. Although they do help people describe me in detail, people DO know me for other things. I just wanted to say that maybe they were not being fair and were trying to hard to talk her out of what she wanted and didn't think of other peoples feelings.

jordanreimer.com

May 1, 2009, 3:47 pm CDT

05/01 Teens: Pressure to Be Pretty

what is wrong with those girls?  i can understand if they NEEDED  cosmetic surgery to correct  a birth defect or fix a bad chin or crooked nose.  but those girls must be so shallow and self absorbed to want breast enhancements or botox.  to me, that's the "everbody has to look at ME because I am the prettiest" syndrome.  those families obviously have nothing better to do with their money.   tell them to take the $9,000 or so and DONATE it to a food pantry. 

May 1, 2009, 3:54 pm CDT

Breast implants

i am a 30 yr.old mother of two and when i was listening to the teen who wanted to get implants i was bothered ,she has no idea what those will do to her life ,I was a 36DD and i am 5'1 and 102Lb's i was that big since high school and the attention i got was not good at all ,unless you like that kind of attention.i had guys ask me if they are real,if they can touch them,or just flat out reach out and grab them.no one could believe how big i was cause i was not a big girl at all.And after i had kids they got heavier cause they went south and i had so many back problems. Please re think this cause i had a breast reduction a couple of weeks ago and i am sooooo much happier.I was getting called names too.and you will get friends that are only your friends cause of it ,i found out who my true friends were after i had it done,the guys that i use to talk to about anything are now not really talking to me at all.women were mean to me cause i was talking to there men and they thought i was trying to take them away even though i was already taken,so trust me it is not worth it stay the way you are cause i saw you and you are beautiful.take it to heart DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

May 1, 2009, 4:06 pm CDT

"Flat-Chested" REALLY Dr. Phil?!

Is anyone else completely stunned that Dr. Phil used the term "flat-chested"? My heart just broke for that little girl when her father said it first, but to hear Dr. Phil say it too really shocked me! "Flat-chested" is something ignorant schoolyard boys call you, not your father and a licensed doctor.

I'm a petite woman, of a modest stature. I explain it like that because I was raised to respect myself and evaluate my body against a standard of health and well being, not the superficial standards of whether or not a man would find you desirable (presumably, the root reason a person would risk their life to have an exaggerated body part).

This little girl seems to have been raised by a man who, when she came to him with feelings of insecurity and inferiority because of natural teenage emotions, ended up condoning as a solution a dangerous medical procedure. It's awful and I'm glad they're seeking help regarding further procedures but I really do have to second guess even Dr. Phil's qualifications here when he uses as part of the rationale "flat-chest"[edness].

So disappointing!

May 1, 2009, 4:11 pm CDT

Great Point

Quote From: karrie_ann

You're so right about the brain not being fully developed.

Dr. Phil,
Don't you think that brain development would have something to do with these little girls having such negative self-images?

GIRLS...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...re-evaluate your choices. The choices you make at this time in your life are very important.

Again, please make the correct ones. It really does say something about you as an individual.

Good Luck Ladies.

That's a great point about Dr. Phil not pointing out the fact that breasts continue to grow into a woman's 20's. He consistently points out the brain development argument and it is truly surprising he wouldn't apply the same standard here.

May 1, 2009, 4:37 pm CDT

Modeling and acting?

Ashley doesn't seem to realize that a DD cup is not just a roadblock in the modeling career, but if she wants to be an actress, the only real roles given to women with large breasts like that are strippers and the neighborhood good-time gal. Plus, like Dr. Phil said, it would absolutely be murder to her back and she'd have terrible stretch marks.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last