Message Boards

Topic : 05/04 Reinvent Yourself

Number of Replies: 20
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 30, 2009, 03:13:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
In these devastating economic times, companies are closing their doors, and millions of Americans have found themselves out of work. One of the cities hardest hit by the recession is Detroit, Michigan where the unemployment rate has skyrocketed to 24 percent. Dr. Phil goes on location in Motor City to talk to families in serious financial despair. He sits down with Jennifer and Jake, who were recently laid off. Now the college graduates say they can’t afford a home phone or baby clothes for their 7-month-old son. Jake says he fears that if he doesn’t get a job soon, his family will be out on the street. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s action plan for this couple in crisis. Next, Shaniece was recently laid off from Chrysler and worries that her husband, Devin, could receive a pink slip any day now. They say the stress takes a toll on their marriage. What can they do to turn their relationship and their financial outlook around? Then, Dr. Phil and best-selling author Mitch Albom tour Detroit’s historic Pilgrim Church and meet with a drug-dealer-turned-pastor who uses the rundown building to help Detroit’s homeless. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s surprise for the minister. Plus, find out how you can donate to this worthy cause! Join the discussion.

The Mental Health Matters segment on Learned Helplessness can be found at the bottom of the "Reinvent Yourself" show page.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 4, 2009, 8:08 pm CDT

05/04 Reinvent Yourself

I just finished watching the segment and have a hard time with a few things. The church is in ruin and it seems with all of the people hanging around they could make better use of their time and energy actually fixing the place up. They would benefit in many ways from a feeling of accomplishment as well as giving back . the people of Michigan take plenty from programs and this would be a philanthropic way in a sense to give back .

May 4, 2009, 9:35 pm CDT

I agree!

Quote From: dlssa1983

Dr. Phil,

We are from the lower Eastern side of Michigan and now live in the northwestern region of Michigan, Traverse City. Today's show is the best show I have ever seen you do. This is my state and we have lost so much-as well as everyone has acrossed the United States. We have lost our Auto Industry, which certianly does make our region much worse off, I want to thank you and your staff for taking the time to come here and speak to so many people, we all need to be inspired, which does create smiles.

Michigan contains the hands that have worked so very hard in the Auto Industry, (as so many of us has), we kept the supply going for so many, many years. To see the hard times and heartache, struggles and stresses is very hard for us all to see. Thank you so very much for stepping in and helping our fellow citizens of Michigan.

This was one of dr phil`s best shows. I prefer those shows where he reaches out to real people with real problems. Rather than having people come onto his show for 15 minutes of fame.

May 4, 2009, 9:37 pm CDT

Learned Helplessness

PLEASE!!!  DR. PHIL...........HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS MENTAL ILLNESS YOU CALLED: LEARNED HELPLESSNESS ??   I'M DESPERATE!

Thank you.....please help...quickly...need HOPE!

May 4, 2009, 9:45 pm CDT

Learned Helplessness

I had never heard of this phenomenon, and would like to learn more about it.  My mother was left a widow at age 38, my dad died of a heart attack at age 35 (he was 3 years younger than my mom.  Thought she worked very hard to raise us four children ages 8, 7, 4 & 5 weeks when our dad died, she never remarried, and never seemed to be able to find that ferver for life again. 

Mother never remarried, but I soon developed a sense of deep loss in her, as well as the fact that during the 50's women were less able to do the things we are able to do.

When you mentioned at the end of todays shows, the statement, learned Helplessness, well it has me thinking that perhaps that is what she helped pass onto us children. Until 4 years ago, I don't know if I would have considered that I could fall prey to this. I've gone through a very difficult time with my health, and due to that experience, I don't know if I have it in me to try again, if and when I am able to go back to work. I hope to someday do that, but now I'm starting to believe that I never will. How does this work, and how can I not let it control the rest of my life?????

May 4, 2009, 9:54 pm CDT

05/04 Reinvent Yourself

Quote From: haroldbras

5/04/2009

Detroit Catastrophe?

Dr Phil,

The Detroit Auto Workers must not understand what being in dinial means. Under the UAW the essentially unskilled wage roll workers are paid about $100.00 an hour in money and benefits. This is about twice the pay the foreign car makers in the USA manufacturing cars,trucks etc. here are paid. I believe it takes about a day to train a worker for the Assembly Line. So, it isnt just the CEOs who are paid a huge amount of money. They all are. If two family members are employed there, that is $200.00 per hour.

Now, with making that kind of money, American Auto Companies cannot compete with others. Their just plain greed has forced them into a bad situation. Are you telling me that they did not have enough money to save up for hard times. They created their own situation.

Do I feel sorry for them. No, I cant say that I do. I think their pay should be cut by 60% or more while under bankruptcy. This limit should be placed on them and the Union not be allowed to strike for more. Only accurate COLA increases would be allowed. Then the Auto Companies could compete, make money and all would be healthy. That is the cure for the Auto situation.

haroldbras

I agree with you. Union wages and management saleries are pricing domestic auto companies out of business. To remain solvent pay cuts must be made across the board.

May 5, 2009, 2:20 pm CDT

Disappointment

I was really disappointed with the two couples that you had on this show. The one girl can't stand hand-me-downs. They are getting 37,000 unemployment - that is more than some make in a whole year. This couple needs a reality check. The other couple is complaining and he has not even lost his job. These people are very spoiled. They have made too much money in the past and didn't even bother with savings - just with over spending. No wonder the car industry is in trouble - these people had cushy jobs with high pay while the rest of the country paid for over priced vehicles. Can't believe you condoned these people the way you did. Very disappointing

May 6, 2009, 9:47 am CDT

How to watch

Does anyone have any tips on how I could watch this show? I've clicked on the show and the play button but all I get is a 60 second recap of the show. Is it available to watch online? Thanks

May 6, 2009, 2:46 pm CDT

Learned Helplessness

I would like more information about learned helplessness too.  When  Dr. Phil was describing the symptoms of this... it sounded just like ME.  I've had a lot of stress / disappointment in my life over the past 3 years.... and i am already being treated for depression... but i have been feeling horrible --- not able to cope with every day life.  (sometimes almost suicidal)  I feel like i no longer have control over ANY thing in my life.  Some of the stresses/changes i've gone thru:  1) lost job /health ins. 2) lost much loved family pet 3) purchased small business and then economy tanked... struggling to make it. 4)family income slashed due to economy 5) mother diagnosed with lung cancer 2 years ago.  6) only son married in Oct 08-- empty nest.  7) had properties/rentals when things were good... let one go back to the bank & may have to let another one go back.  (doing a number on our great credit).  What a list!  I hope the Dr. Phil show covers more about learned helplessness.  The show on reinventing yourself was very inspirational. 

May 7, 2009, 11:58 am CDT

05/04 Reinvent Yourself

Quote From: country1952

I was really disappointed with the two couples that you had on this show. The one girl can't stand hand-me-downs. They are getting 37,000 unemployment - that is more than some make in a whole year. This couple needs a reality check. The other couple is complaining and he has not even lost his job. These people are very spoiled. They have made too much money in the past and didn't even bother with savings - just with over spending. No wonder the car industry is in trouble - these people had cushy jobs with high pay while the rest of the country paid for over priced vehicles. Can't believe you condoned these people the way you did. Very disappointing
You're right about overpriced vehicles. That's one of the main reasons the domestic auto industry is foundering. Union wages, high salaries, and huge bonuses drive the cost of domestic vehicles so high that most people are buying imports. Across-the-board concessions must be made by everyone to make domestic vehicles competitive with imports.

June 3, 2009, 10:11 am CDT

05/04 Reinvent Yourself

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor In Phil Re Robin Self Vent Your. What is this albout? IK donot understand that. See you on Monday-

May 04th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry, I was trying to comment on a show that Dr. Phil did from Detroit Michigan, or about the loss of the auto industry. It is just a real sad ordeal what everyone is going through, not just in Detroit, but throughout the United States...and the problems are not just within the realm of the Auto Industry, either in other places it is different obstacles, for example the housing industry, etc. I just wanted Dr. Phil know that when he does his show from different hard hit areas, it brings his shows closer to every person watching.

First | Prev | 2 | Next Page | Last Page