Message Boards

Topic : 05/04 Reinvent Yourself

Number of Replies: 20
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 30, 2009, 03:13:06 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
In these devastating economic times, companies are closing their doors, and millions of Americans have found themselves out of work. One of the cities hardest hit by the recession is Detroit, Michigan where the unemployment rate has skyrocketed to 24 percent. Dr. Phil goes on location in Motor City to talk to families in serious financial despair. He sits down with Jennifer and Jake, who were recently laid off. Now the college graduates say they can’t afford a home phone or baby clothes for their 7-month-old son. Jake says he fears that if he doesn’t get a job soon, his family will be out on the street. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s action plan for this couple in crisis. Next, Shaniece was recently laid off from Chrysler and worries that her husband, Devin, could receive a pink slip any day now. They say the stress takes a toll on their marriage. What can they do to turn their relationship and their financial outlook around? Then, Dr. Phil and best-selling author Mitch Albom tour Detroit’s historic Pilgrim Church and meet with a drug-dealer-turned-pastor who uses the rundown building to help Detroit’s homeless. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s surprise for the minister. Plus, find out how you can donate to this worthy cause! Join the discussion.

The Mental Health Matters segment on Learned Helplessness can be found at the bottom of the "Reinvent Yourself" show page.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 1, 2009, 5:28 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor In Phil Re Robin Self Vent Your. What is this albout? IK donot understand that. See you on Monday-

May 04th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 4, 2009, 12:33 pm CDT

What to do!?!

Watching this show has absolutely hit home for me. I'm 22 and was in my first semester of college when I got pregnant and lost my job. I moved in with my fiance who is going through a divorce and just recently lost his job...we went from about 1700 a month to 900 a month from my unemployment and I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and childsupport will soon be in effect for his first two children. We could possibly be kicked out of our apartment and neither one of us can seem to find a job. We cut the internet of 40 a month we are living on just necessaties and still can't seem to make ends meet and don't know what else to do. The rent alone is 755 and the car insurance is 30 and not to mention food,gas and cell phone (we dont have a house phone) which is about 100 a month. I really hope some of his tips will help to make our lives easier and to find a way out of this rut.

May 4, 2009, 12:56 pm CDT

REINVENT YOURSELF-From Detroit Michigan!

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor In Phil Re Robin Self Vent Your. What is this albout? IK donot understand that. See you on Monday-

May 04th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Phil,

We are from the lower Eastern side of Michigan and now live in the northwestern region of Michigan, Traverse City. Today's show is the best show I have ever seen you do. This is my state and we have lost so much-as well as everyone has acrossed the United States. We have lost our Auto Industry, which certianly does make our region much worse off, I want to thank you and your staff for taking the time to come here and speak to so many people, we all need to be inspired, which does create smiles.

Michigan contains the hands that have worked so very hard in the Auto Industry, (as so many of us has), we kept the supply going for so many, many years. To see the hard times and heartache, struggles and stresses is very hard for us all to see. Thank you so very much for stepping in and helping our fellow citizens of Michigan.

May 4, 2009, 1:51 pm CDT

Doing something...

I am so happy to see that someone who can help financially, is doing exactly that. Thank you Dr Phil for being an example and doing what is right. Thank you also for highlighting those who are doing good for our country!

May 4, 2009, 2:53 pm CDT

Detroit Cataasthrophe?

Quote From: hpmx59

5/04/2009

Detroit Catastrophe?

Dr Phil,

The Detroit Auto Workers must not understand what being in dinial means. Under the UAW the essentially unskilled wage roll workers are paid about $100.00 an hour in money and benefits. This is about twice the pay the foreign car makers in the USA manufacturing cars,trucks etc. here are paid. I believe it takes about a day to train a worker for the Assembly Line. So, it isn’t just the CEOs who are paid a huge amount of money. They all are. If two family members are employed there, that is $200.00 per hour.

Now, with making that kind of money, American Auto Companies cannot compete with others. Their just plain greed has forced them into a bad situation. Are you telling me that they did not have enough money to save up for hard times. They created their own situation.

Do I feel sorry for them. No, I can’t say that I do. I think their pay should be cut by 60% or more while under bankruptcy. This limit should be placed on them and the Union not be allowed to strike for more. Only accurate COLA increases would be allowed. Then the Auto Companies could compete, make money and all would be healthy. That is the cure for the Auto situation.

haroldbras

May 4, 2009, 2:57 pm CDT

I only caught the tale end of the show....what was the deal with the woman with the "mental illness"?

I only caught the tale end of the show....what was the deal with the woman with the "mental illness" thing?

May 4, 2009, 3:01 pm CDT

tired of hearing people complain

I was watching your reinvent yourself show today and have to say the first couple you had on your show was complaining that both of them had lost their jobs and had their income cut from 120,000 a year to 37,000 a year and they didnt know what they were going to do. Well boo hoo! I work every day or 5 to 6 days a week  and i do mean work back breaking hard labor, I work in the oilfield construction and make 25,000 or less a year and i am paying my rent feeding 4 kids plus myself and my fiance' and paying my bills and right now m in the process of paying for a wedding. They just have to learn to suck it up and stop looking for handouts. Thats what really upsets me is how some people think everyone owes them something because they graduated college. Yes i feel sorry for them for losing their jobs but they need to do something about it instead of complaining about it.

May 4, 2009, 4:46 pm CDT

Today's Show

Today when you hit the nail on the head.  They have to pick themselves up and move onto looking for a job and possiblly work.  I feel the finacal pintch also.  I am on disability and my Mom is way too sick to work.  You don't break down, yelling at each other, you have to pick yourself up and do what you need to do to survive.

I also agree when you cannot find a job to volunteer.  Even though we are in poverty I scrap up money to make flyers to let people know that what they called junk is needed by others.  They thing is there junk is another persons treasure.  I call it Living 25:40 after Matthew 25:40.  It is my passion because there is people worse off than me.  I also volunteer @ the Salvation Army Thrift Store in my city that I live.  I think it is important to volunteer.

God Bless You Dr. Phil for Helping Others!!!!

Volunteer4God

May 4, 2009, 6:09 pm CDT

Life is constant reinvention

I do not only relate to the “Reinventing yourself”, I have done that in several occasions during my life, first time: which drove me to get my first degree, while working, it did not bring the personal satisfaction I wanted, I felt the satisfaction was partial for what I was looking for in my career. So, I went for my second degree... Fantastic!! (Both degrees with Excellent GPA), I felt fully satisfy IT professional. I started a new career and decided to emigrate, to a land I love, after 11 years in my job, I decided that I could not take anymore emotional abuse in a moment, in a time which I needed support for health and other issues, including changing a job. Got divorced, change my job. So I was face again with reinventing myself again, in the middle of a divorced but there and then world was mine and I went ahead, now I lost my job and I have been face with reinventing myself along, financially broken, with a health condition which do not impeded me to work and perform fully, needing to drop some friends from my list because of their negative attitude, I am open to move yet again to where ever I get a new Job, preparing to reinvent myself where ever will be... At this time my frustration is in having gone to or started interviewing process and out of the blue the organizations will contact me to let me know that the interviewing process postpone until further notice, I fell ready to do what I have too, but time has taken it own time.

Thank you for letting me express my reliance and my constant desired move ahead... I know we all will make it... And in a year we will look back as a hump in our road of life.

Thanks again!

May 4, 2009, 7:56 pm CDT

Quote: Well Boo Hoo."

Quote From: reaper1

I was watching your reinvent yourself show today and have to say the first couple you had on your show was complaining that both of them had lost their jobs and had their income cut from 120,000 a year to 37,000 a year and they didnt know what they were going to do. Well boo hoo! I work every day or 5 to 6 days a week  and i do mean work back breaking hard labor, I work in the oilfield construction and make 25,000 or less a year and i am paying my rent feeding 4 kids plus myself and my fiance' and paying my bills and right now m in the process of paying for a wedding. They just have to learn to suck it up and stop looking for handouts. Thats what really upsets me is how some people think everyone owes them something because they graduated college. Yes i feel sorry for them for losing their jobs but they need to do something about it instead of complaining about it.

5/4/009

Quote: "Well Boo Hoo."

Well said. See above "Detroit Catastrophe?"

haroldbras

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last