Message Boards

Topic : 05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:08:47 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have your children gone from little angels to kids gone wild? Are they whiney, tantrum-throwing, feet-stomping, door-slamming, spoiled and entitled? Well, good news, Mom and Dad! Dr. Phil launches his parenting boot camp and teaches parents how to take back control and live in peace for the very first time. Meet four families who say they live in chaos and can’t take it anymore. Tammie says her 11-year-old daughter is stubborn, uncooperative and annoying, and she finds herself with no desire to hug her. How can she rediscover that mother/daughter bond? And, Janice says her 11-year-old son is a spoiled little baby whose tantrums are so obnoxious, she’s ready to throw in the towel. Next, Tiffiny and Ron say their two oldest daughters make them regret becoming parents. They say living with their 14-year-old is like living with Hannibal Lecter, and the 10-year-old won’t stop lying. What are they doing wrong? And, Laureen is a single mom who says her 16-year-old daughter is so out of control, she could be headed for jail. How can these families regain control and find peace? Plus, see exciting updates on two mother/son pairs who left their madhouse for The Dr. Phil House last year. Remember the child who slapped his mother in the face? How are they doing one year later? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 5, 2009, 6:54 pm CDT

05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

Quote From: jaynside

Just to answer one of the comments about the show, I am Janice and my son Austin and I were on the show. Yes God is a very important part of our lives, we don't just say that we are christians it's a lifestyle for us. Even though we were on the show christians spoil their children also. I love my son and if you get a chance to continue watching the show, and hopefully it will be aired, aside of really seeing somethings that i was really doing to Austin, my love for God and what He could do for all of us on the show does get displayed......especially for Tammie!! All I can say is to tune in and I hope that people will try to see that there is really more than meets the eye here. I love her and Davia and I am glad i went on the show and got the chance to meet them.
I know there is always more than meets the eye on these shows. So much gets edited out to fit between the commercials! I hope no one on this board fusses at you for sharing your beliefs. A few users are highly intolerant of christian viempoints.

May 5, 2009, 7:20 pm CDT

TAMMIE - I know how you feel!!!

Tammie NO ONE can say anything bad until they have been in your shoes.  I have been there with my daughter (who is 13) and you do get to a point where there is so much hurt and disrespect that its hard to reach out and show that "love" to your child.  You ALWAYS love them but to open up physically its pretty hard.  I just had to start forcing myself to go there with my daughter and once it started to be more consistent it was MUCH better.  But please know that you are NOT alone, kids can be VERY hurtful with their actions and it does cut deep - - Just stay strong and you'll get through it. 

My thoughts will be with you and your family!!!!

May 5, 2009, 7:36 pm CDT

About Christianity

Quote From: cadescove99

I know there is always more than meets the eye on these shows. So much gets edited out to fit between the commercials! I hope no one on this board fusses at you for sharing your beliefs. A few users are highly intolerant of christian viempoints.
I just want to say that even though I am not Christian, I am not intolerant of Christian views. What I have a hard time with is the intolerance that some Christians have with those who do not share the same viewpoints.

The problems in my life have nothing to do with my not being Christian. To have someone tell me that my values and moral compass are insignificant or that if I had Christian values in my home, I wouldn't have family/teen/marital problems is highly offensive to me and my core belief system.

I would imagine that MOST families in turmoil practice Christianity. I also imagine that families of other faiths/religions have turmoil, as well.

May 5, 2009, 8:52 pm CDT

Judgemental???Understanding???

I have read so many posts on this mother that can't hug her child comfortably. I have heard people bash her, call her an abuser, and just be down right stupid.

I am here to tell everyone that no matter what you may think you don't know crap about her situation and judging someone like that is just wrong. No, no child should feel unloved by their mother. Every child should feel and be shown love by their mother. However, if there isn't a bond between mother and child how can there be unconditional love? Yes, there are a few people out there that can show anyone unconditional love. However, the vast majority of people would not, honestly, last more than a few months.  For that mother to go on national t.v. to try to fix her relationship with her daughter is a tribute to the type of person she truly is. You all who are bashing her should be ashamed. At least she is trying. Think of all those parents out there that kill their babies, abandon their babies, or do other unthinkable things to their children. (of any age)

Since I personally understand where she is at, where she is going, and the long hard road ahead I truly thank her for being such a wonderful parent that actually wants to fix the problems between herself and her daughter instead of ignore it like so many typically do. So for all of you self righteous idiots out there remember this quote:

Never throw stones in a glass house.

I personally wish the woman all the luck in the world and sincerely hope and pray that she is able to bond with her child once again. 

May 6, 2009, 5:14 pm CDT

wow

Quote From: billieevans

Nothing burns my britches more than someone who thinks they know what's best for anyone in trouble. CHRISTIAN VALUES? What does Christianity have to do with anything? What's wrong with Jewish values, Buddhist values...wait! What's wrong with VALUES period. 

People don't need Jesus in their lives to ensure goodness and wholesome family life.

Your religious beliefs are not for everyone.  In fact, there's more hypocrisy in Christianity than any other religion.

Where's the Christian value in  all the child molestation in thechurch? How about all the stealing from the flock? The affairs betweenpastors and  the meek who seek spiritual aid?

I had to move from South GA to get my kids away from "Jesus" in the public schools. When my 5 year old came home from kindergarten crying because little Billy told him that if he was bad, the devil would come up out of the floor and take him away in his sleep, it was time to go. I won't even go into other issues I had with religion and bigotry in the deep south...and I know it's not only in the south, so I'm not attacking southerners in any way. I live in the south myself, but in a more diverse area now, thank God.

My values are no less than yours because I don't have  Jesus in my life.  Please. 

Now, I have two teens, boys 14 and 15 and they are giving me a run from my money. I've made mistakes. Some huge. Some I can fix, some I can't. I'm having to allow my 15 year old to make some seriously wrong decisions (in my opinion!) because there are just some things, as a human being, as a mom, that I'm totally powerless over.  Stupid choices he makes...sometimes it makes me want to die...the fact that I can't control some things he chooses to do, so I'm getting help for me too. I can only control me. I can make life uncomfortable for the kid who won't conform, but that's it.  I can't "make him" stop smoking. I can't "make him" succeed in school. I can't "make him" have a desirable attitude. Jeeez, I can't "make him" brush his teeth.  Parents who think they can "control" their teens are delusional.  Can teens making stupid choices live in harmony with their parents?  That's up to the parents.

I am so sorry for feel this way about our Jesus. Jesus is the only true living God. Also Jesus is the only way to heaven! Yes it was mean of that boy to say what he said to your son.   Thats not the way to win souls to Christ. A true christian loves all people and pray for the lost souls. We witness to the lost about Jesus.  We all need Jesus in this world. For things in this world is only going to get worse.  Jesus is the way, the life and the truth. Without Jesus there is only hell. But If a person accepts Jesus into their hearts and ask for forgive of there sins. Live for Him. They will go to heaven.  Jesus is the answer to all things in life. Jesus gives us peace,joy,hope,comfort and eternal life.  I will keep you in my prayers. Hope you will make the right choice in your life. God bless you and your son. 

May 6, 2009, 5:21 pm CDT

Jesus is the answer to all things in life

Jesus is the only one that can help a family get through all things in there life.  Jesus is the truth,the way and the life. Jesus saves!  Praying for these familys!  My heart goes out to them. 

May 6, 2009, 11:33 pm CDT

What if one of these kids belonged to you ? How would you be !!! The only thing wrong with these kids is there Spoiled and shame on them for putting there parents though this. I am the youngest of 8 in my family and never I say never did I or any one us

Quote From: caileesmom7

these parents shock me i cannot believe that these parents actually put themselves on tv saying these things its a disgrace i am devestated for these children who have to deal with these parents I have a masters degree in english and cannot find the words to explain my disgust for these parents none of these children asked to be treated this way or to be in this world

talk about planned parenthood

May 6, 2009, 11:51 pm CDT

parents...show some love!

Oh wow, I am a 37 year old woman with a son of my own, and this show took me back to being a frustrated  and hurting child. Obviously Davea and Tammy need help, that's a no brainer. But I would like to say.. on behalf of misguided youths past, present and future.. parents should not ever make cutting jokes at their kids expense in front of others. A wise parent does not need to impress other virtual strangers by taking verbal jabs at her own daughter! For shame!

May 7, 2009, 7:53 am CDT

Tammie/Second Show

The follow up video of Tammie was even more disturbing than the first show! To have your mother mock, scream and degrade you on film is beyond cruel. Maybe you should give her to a family that would love to have a little girl to love and take care of.

May 7, 2009, 10:02 am CDT

05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

Quote From: billieevans

I just want to say that even though I am not Christian, I am not intolerant of Christian views. What I have a hard time with is the intolerance that some Christians have with those who do not share the same viewpoints.

The problems in my life have nothing to do with my not being Christian. To have someone tell me that my values and moral compass are insignificant or that if I had Christian values in my home, I wouldn't have family/teen/marital problems is highly offensive to me and my core belief system.

I would imagine that MOST families in turmoil practice Christianity. I also imagine that families of other faiths/religions have turmoil, as well.

Hey! I'm really glad you replied to my last post! So I could tell you this. I was concerned that you'd think I was talking about you in that post. But, I figured you'd probably reply and I could let you know I wasn't talking about you. Because, reading between the lines in all your posts on this particular board, I could sense your respect for the Christian viewpoint. You just don't want anyone telling you what to believe. Especially when they just won't leave it alone. I sense that you have no problem with people sharing their beliefs on a personal level without pushing them on you. I think you But, there are some who are so intolerant, they go ballistic any time someone posts anything of a religious nature. They act as if they're on some personal crusade to censor religion out of the message boards. Of course, I don't count you among them!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last