Message Boards

Topic : 05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:08:47 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have your children gone from little angels to kids gone wild? Are they whiney, tantrum-throwing, feet-stomping, door-slamming, spoiled and entitled? Well, good news, Mom and Dad! Dr. Phil launches his parenting boot camp and teaches parents how to take back control and live in peace for the very first time. Meet four families who say they live in chaos and can’t take it anymore. Tammie says her 11-year-old daughter is stubborn, uncooperative and annoying, and she finds herself with no desire to hug her. How can she rediscover that mother/daughter bond? And, Janice says her 11-year-old son is a spoiled little baby whose tantrums are so obnoxious, she’s ready to throw in the towel. Next, Tiffiny and Ron say their two oldest daughters make them regret becoming parents. They say living with their 14-year-old is like living with Hannibal Lecter, and the 10-year-old won’t stop lying. What are they doing wrong? And, Laureen is a single mom who says her 16-year-old daughter is so out of control, she could be headed for jail. How can these families regain control and find peace? Plus, see exciting updates on two mother/son pairs who left their madhouse for The Dr. Phil House last year. Remember the child who slapped his mother in the face? How are they doing one year later? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 7, 2009, 10:12 am CDT

05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

Quote From: millie19502

The follow up video of Tammie was even more disturbing than the first show! To have your mother mock, scream and degrade you on film is beyond cruel. Maybe you should give her to a family that would love to have a little girl to love and take care of.
I haven't watched the whole show. I taped for later. But, I did watch a few minutes. The video of Tammie and Davea. And, Tammie thought it would look Davea look bad? Someone isn't playing with a full deck. Tammie is beyond clueless if she can't see how bad the video made her look. I think she's in serious need of therapy.

May 7, 2009, 10:30 am CDT

Sorry

Quote From: billieevans

I'm sorry..."youknowwhat" must have felt I was being disrespectful or something along those lines. That was no way my intent.

I said "I get it" and I mean, I get it. Same thing happened to my family. My dad left when I was two and my mom remarried when I was 13. It was horrific to me at the time. I hated my step dad for the same reasons you mentioned. I felt abandoned, especially when my mom had my sister when I was 15.  I was the last girl on the show today. Angry.

Anger is fear in disguise.

Now I'm 52. I spent many years being angry at my mom and step dad. Luckily, I came to peace with it all and realized that my mom did the BEST she could do with what she had. Just like I do as a mom, and just like you will do when you are a mom.  My step dad died 2 years ago and I was the one to take care of him for several months before  his last breath.  I came to love him like my biological father. He was everything to my mother. 

My mother died a month ago and I am so grateful that I did not hold onto that resentment from my teen years. She was an adult, and did what she felt she needed to do after many years of raising me alone.

I have no idea why youknowwhat made that comment about my posting.  I'm sorry if I offended you.
I feel sorry that you have so much anger inside that you have to lash out at everyone on this message board. You might need to go on Dr. Phil's show yourself. Why don't you spend some time outside with you kids, or go to a movie and relax. You have too much free time.

May 7, 2009, 10:36 am CDT

Quote From: hardygirl72

Oh wow, I am a 37 year old woman with a son of my own, and this show took me back to being a frustrated  and hurting child. Obviously Davea and Tammy need help, that's a no brainer. But I would like to say.. on behalf of misguided youths past, present and future.. parents should not ever make cutting jokes at their kids expense in front of others. A wise parent does not need to impress other virtual strangers by taking verbal jabs at her own daughter! For shame!

I only saw a few minutes of the second show, but it was enough to see that Tammie is in serious need of therapy. If she expected yesterday's video of her and Davea to impress Dr Phil, she's beyond clueless. She impressed me, all right. That she isn't playing with a full deck.

May 7, 2009, 11:30 am CDT

Quote From: ontheway

I feel sorry that you have so much anger inside that you have to lash out at everyone on this message board. You might need to go on Dr. Phil's show yourself. Why don't you spend some time outside with you kids, or go to a movie and relax. You have too much free time.
I don't think "billieevans" is lashing out at anyone on this board. Sure, she sometimes disagrees and says so, but I don't think she's ever lashed out at anyone, including me. If  "billieevans" can't even disagree with anyone without you considering it "lashing out" you need to chill.

May 7, 2009, 12:45 pm CDT

Quote From: feehan

I have read so many posts on this mother that can't hug her child comfortably. I have heard people bash her, call her an abuser, and just be down right stupid.

I am here to tell everyone that no matter what you may think you don't know crap about her situation and judging someone like that is just wrong. No, no child should feel unloved by their mother. Every child should feel and be shown love by their mother. However, if there isn't a bond between mother and child how can there be unconditional love? Yes, there are a few people out there that can show anyone unconditional love. However, the vast majority of people would not, honestly, last more than a few months.  For that mother to go on national t.v. to try to fix her relationship with her daughter is a tribute to the type of person she truly is. You all who are bashing her should be ashamed. At least she is trying. Think of all those parents out there that kill their babies, abandon their babies, or do other unthinkable things to their children. (of any age)

Since I personally understand where she is at, where she is going, and the long hard road ahead I truly thank her for being such a wonderful parent that actually wants to fix the problems between herself and her daughter instead of ignore it like so many typically do. So for all of you self righteous idiots out there remember this quote:

Never throw stones in a glass house.

I personally wish the woman all the luck in the world and sincerely hope and pray that she is able to bond with her child once again. 
I consider it extremely rude of you to call other users downright stupid and self righteous idiots for posting their opinions on this mother. Anyone who appears on any of Dr Phil's shows opened themselves up to being discussed on his message boards. Those users who criticize her have a right to do so. And, you have a right to defend her. Without disrespecting other users, calling them stupid, self righteous idiots.

May 8, 2009, 8:27 am CDT

I find it interesting that Tammy is getting the most attention, when there are 3 girls in the house that are saying their mom hits, kicks, throws  them, etc... Umm personally I would be more concerned about that. As far as Tammy and Davida go, there is obvious errors on both sides. Tammy is not acting as a good parent, and she is definitely verbally abusive. I'm glad she is getting help/ I do think a lot of her anger is due to frustration that people think her daughter is an angel when she clearly is not. That little girl has some serious attitude problems as well.

May 8, 2009, 10:48 am CDT

words

Quote From: cadescove99

I don't think "billieevans" is lashing out at anyone on this board. Sure, she sometimes disagrees and says so, but I don't think she's ever lashed out at anyone, including me. If  "billieevans" can't even disagree with anyone without you considering it "lashing out" you need to chill.

She, and all of us, have the right to disagree. But the words she uses are not very nice to the person(s) she's disagrees with.

May 8, 2009, 1:01 pm CDT

Thank you, thank you, Dr Phil

The information about mental illness at the end of today's show means so much.

Those of us with mental illness in the family can talk all day every day and never begin to have the impact that that one spot had. Coming from a man who is watched and respected by millions -- well -- he did a whole lot of good for us today and I'm very grateful.

May 8, 2009, 4:47 pm CDT

i will be honest i cant beleive this mother tammy i think her name is she made that crazy video of how to badger your kid that is what i got out of that video.. it seems as though she has got some mental issues and for some reasson she is putting it all on her daughter i cant beleive yo can tell your kid no matter what they have done that you have no feelings for them and that they are weird .. i can sit here and go on for days about this woman.. but my goodness that poor little girl i feel so bad for her i can not beleive you could ever treat a kid in this way at all .. i would say she is one of the worst parents i have ever seen on t.v or even met in person.. its a shame..

May 9, 2009, 11:10 am CDT

Quote From: serenstef1

i will be honest i cant beleive this mother tammy i think her name is she made that crazy video of how to badger your kid that is what i got out of that video.. it seems as though she has got some mental issues and for some reasson she is putting it all on her daughter i cant beleive yo can tell your kid no matter what they have done that you have no feelings for them and that they are weird .. i can sit here and go on for days about this woman.. but my goodness that poor little girl i feel so bad for her i can not beleive you could ever treat a kid in this way at all .. i would say she is one of the worst parents i have ever seen on t.v or even met in person.. its a shame..

I totally agree with you!! You could just see the fear in Davias' face when her mom was mocking her!!  She is 10 yrs old for GOD sakes! Her mom was just pushing her to argue with her and then turned it around on her. Shame on her!!!

All she wants is love and attention from her mother(I use that term loosely).  She has no problem with her other kids.  Is it because Davia is her ex's daughter too and brings up bad memories.

Whatever the reason it is not Davias fault!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last