Message Boards

Topic : 05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:08:47 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have your children gone from little angels to kids gone wild? Are they whiney, tantrum-throwing, feet-stomping, door-slamming, spoiled and entitled? Well, good news, Mom and Dad! Dr. Phil launches his parenting boot camp and teaches parents how to take back control and live in peace for the very first time. Meet four families who say they live in chaos and can’t take it anymore. Tammie says her 11-year-old daughter is stubborn, uncooperative and annoying, and she finds herself with no desire to hug her. How can she rediscover that mother/daughter bond? And, Janice says her 11-year-old son is a spoiled little baby whose tantrums are so obnoxious, she’s ready to throw in the towel. Next, Tiffiny and Ron say their two oldest daughters make them regret becoming parents. They say living with their 14-year-old is like living with Hannibal Lecter, and the 10-year-old won’t stop lying. What are they doing wrong? And, Laureen is a single mom who says her 16-year-old daughter is so out of control, she could be headed for jail. How can these families regain control and find peace? Plus, see exciting updates on two mother/son pairs who left their madhouse for The Dr. Phil House last year. Remember the child who slapped his mother in the face? How are they doing one year later? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 26, 2009, 4:50 pm CDT

You don't get it, do you Lady!

Quote From: feehan

I have read so many posts on this mother that can't hug her child comfortably. I have heard people bash her, call her an abuser, and just be down right stupid.

I am here to tell everyone that no matter what you may think you don't know crap about her situation and judging someone like that is just wrong. No, no child should feel unloved by their mother. Every child should feel and be shown love by their mother. However, if there isn't a bond between mother and child how can there be unconditional love? Yes, there are a few people out there that can show anyone unconditional love. However, the vast majority of people would not, honestly, last more than a few months.  For that mother to go on national t.v. to try to fix her relationship with her daughter is a tribute to the type of person she truly is. You all who are bashing her should be ashamed. At least she is trying. Think of all those parents out there that kill their babies, abandon their babies, or do other unthinkable things to their children. (of any age)

Since I personally understand where she is at, where she is going, and the long hard road ahead I truly thank her for being such a wonderful parent that actually wants to fix the problems between herself and her daughter instead of ignore it like so many typically do. So for all of you self righteous idiots out there remember this quote:

Never throw stones in a glass house.

I personally wish the woman all the luck in the world and sincerely hope and pray that she is able to bond with her child once again. 

"At least she is trying. Think of all those parents out there that kill their babies, abandon their babies, or do other unthinkable things to their children. (of any age)" 

You don't get it do you?  That poor child would be 100% better off given to a family that will cherish her for who she is.  Don't you realize that Tammie is abusing this child.   If Dr. Phil, is half a man, he will contact the proper authorities to remove Davia immediately.

May 27, 2009, 11:36 am CDT

Reality check!

Quote From: billieevans

How self-centered you are to think YOUR beliefs are are needed in ALL families. How sad for you to be so narrow minded .  A judgmental Christian. WWJD??

I have my own religion, thank you and would NEVER dream of trying to push it on anyone.  Who do you think you are?? 

<duh...I'm arguing with someone on the internet!>
You can't control another persons prayers.  If it's on her heart to pray for you, I guess that's her business.  As far as narrow-mindedness goes, it seems like you're pretty set in your ways too.  Dont judge for the same reasons you don't want to be judged.  I can honestly say, as Christians, we spread the Word of God to any and all willing to accept.  No one and I repeat...... NO ONE is forced! It seems to me, you formed an opinion of Christians based on one side of the story.  You're sadly mistake about our religion. 

May 29, 2009, 11:58 am CDT

Get Davia away from Tammy

That woman, Tammy, does not deserve the title of Mother and what she is doing to Davia is nothing short of criminal.  Not only am I worried about Davia, I am sadly disappointed in you, Dr. Phil, for not seeing through Tammy and what she is doing to this child.  PLEASE, PLEASE, remove this sweet child from Tammy's presence before her life becomes more miserable than it already is.  DO IT, DO IT N O W !

And please, let your viewers know what happens in this sad story.  Some of us care.

May 31, 2009, 9:14 am CDT

Davia

I also watched and recorded the 4 episodes of How to Be a Better Parent and was angy when watching the video of Davia's mom literally egging her daughter on into a fight.  No matter how the mom feels about the father, it should not be taken out on Davia.  Davia seems like a nice quiet, understanding 12 year old who shows a lot of forgiveness towards her mom.  But I am worried that because the mom has so much hatred towards Davia that she might harm her.  I would like to see, I think the mom's name is Tammi, get some counselling to bring herself to love her daughter.  I watched as Davia, clinging, as her mom says, trying to get some attention and a hug, but nothing.  I hope that Tammi finds it in her heart to get the counselling she needs to then enjoy a good relationship with Davia.  I was very sad and it brought tears to my eyes when I watched this very sweet girl being pushed away by her mom.  Please Tammi get some help and please Dr. Phil watch and monitor how Davia is doing and if you can post on your site somewhere.  Thanks Dr. Phil for showing this mom what kind of monster she is.  I hope she recognizes herself and gets the help she so desparately needs to become a loving not hating parent.

June 1, 2009, 10:28 am CDT

Davia

I got so angry watching how the mom treats her and knowing that most of that "anger" as she calls it is because Davia reminds her of Davia's father.

I paid dearly, and I mean dearly for that choice that my mom made. I didn't pick my dad, she did. I love him more than I can say but I will never understand why women can't own up to their own decisions and quit taking it out on the innocent children.

I think Davia's mom is coming back on the show and I will probably be in the bathroom throwing up. I have absolutely NO sympathy for her but can only pray that Davia will understand that she is a beautiful, loving, compassionate person and not let anyone take that from her.

June 16, 2009, 8:52 am CDT

05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

I am a divorced 45 y/o male with two boys 22 and 18 years old. I began to watch your show quite some time back. I have my DVR to record every episode and all I have to say is “GO GET’EM TIGER”.

I enjoy your show very much and at time it brings a tear to my eye like when people are unable to see the good in there children or show them affection. I am so happy my boys came out of my divorce polite, hard working and smart while staying on the right side of the law.

I have to say I had tears running down my cheeks when I watched your show in May; How to be a better Parent. Tammie’s 11-year-old daughter Davia is a sweet and smart young lady. I watched here following Tammie around waiting for any form of affection, but not getting a drop. I know you will help Tammie to re-connect with her loving and motherly instincts to nurture and be a good role model for her children. My prayers go out to them in there quest for resolution bringing mother and daughter back together.

August 12, 2009, 4:02 pm CDT

Please don't be so biased against Christians

Quote From: billieevans

Nothing burns my britches more than someone who thinks they know what's best for anyone in trouble. CHRISTIAN VALUES? What does Christianity have to do with anything? What's wrong with Jewish values, Buddhist values...wait! What's wrong with VALUES period. 

People don't need Jesus in their lives to ensure goodness and wholesome family life.

Your religious beliefs are not for everyone.  In fact, there's more hypocrisy in Christianity than any other religion.

Where's the Christian value in  all the child molestation in thechurch? How about all the stealing from the flock? The affairs betweenpastors and  the meek who seek spiritual aid?

I had to move from South GA to get my kids away from "Jesus" in the public schools. When my 5 year old came home from kindergarten crying because little Billy told him that if he was bad, the devil would come up out of the floor and take him away in his sleep, it was time to go. I won't even go into other issues I had with religion and bigotry in the deep south...and I know it's not only in the south, so I'm not attacking southerners in any way. I live in the south myself, but in a more diverse area now, thank God.

My values are no less than yours because I don't have  Jesus in my life.  Please. 

Now, I have two teens, boys 14 and 15 and they are giving me a run from my money. I've made mistakes. Some huge. Some I can fix, some I can't. I'm having to allow my 15 year old to make some seriously wrong decisions (in my opinion!) because there are just some things, as a human being, as a mom, that I'm totally powerless over.  Stupid choices he makes...sometimes it makes me want to die...the fact that I can't control some things he chooses to do, so I'm getting help for me too. I can only control me. I can make life uncomfortable for the kid who won't conform, but that's it.  I can't "make him" stop smoking. I can't "make him" succeed in school. I can't "make him" have a desirable attitude. Jeeez, I can't "make him" brush his teeth.  Parents who think they can "control" their teens are delusional.  Can teens making stupid choices live in harmony with their parents?  That's up to the parents.

You know what burns my britches?  When someone (such as yourself) lets one person speak for the rest of us.  As I'm sure you can tell, Jesus is my Savior!  It's okay to get aggrivated or disagree, but for you to say that Christianity is the most hypocritcal religon, that was an assumption and totally uncalled for.  You are entitled to your beliefs and opinions but you still have to respect others too.  The fact remains, I answer for my sin and decision and you answer for yours so, believe however you choose.  There isn't a single religion that doesn't have it's share of unwholesome activity behind the scenes.  There are wolves in sheeps clothing in all religions.  But in most of those religions the good outweighs the bad.  You stated in another post that you weren't a Chrisrian but you weren't intolerant of Christian views either.  I have to say, you seem very intolerant in this one.  You did however, make a very accurate point when you said "Christianity is not for everyone."  And it isn't.  Everyone who believes however they do, believe they live happy and healthy lives due to their choice of religion or lack of. 

It's funny, you said you had to get your kids away from Jesus in the public schools.  Jesus isn't even allowed in public schools.  I'm starting to wonder how long it will be before our Christian private school are completely shut down and everyone is forced to attend public school?  My guess is before our current president leaves office.

August 12, 2009, 7:09 pm CDT

Mommy Dearest

Quote From: holybeeswax

i agree...boy do i feel sorry for her little girl....wow....."mommy dearest"
I agree but I think Tammie makes Joan Crawford look like the "Mother of the Year!" 

August 12, 2009, 7:31 pm CDT

05/05 How to Be a Better Parent

Quote From: ramair

You let your 15-year-old son smoke? Who's the parent? I suspect you'll let him drop out of school when he turns 16. And, his youngest brother, too.

That's what I'm saying.  It is painfuly obvious she doesn't have control of her MINORS; they have control of her.  I'm 28 and my parent still have control of me.  It's really more of a respect issue so I try not to do anything to disappoint them.  It's all in the chosen technique of discipline, I think.  My parents stood together in their discipline.  If mom said no and we asked dad or vice versa, we were in big trouble. I got my FAIR share of spankings, but never was I abused.  Kids now days have the parents bluffed.  I also 

think, the kind of respect parents dish out to their kids is the same respect they get in return, good or bad.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page