Message Boards

Topic : 05/06 How to Be a Better Parent, Part 2

Number of Replies: 257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:09:41 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Four families tired of the fighting, yelling, chaos and conflict in their home move into The Dr. Phil House. Dr. Phil puts them to work right away with exercises and assignments that encourage the children to open up and the parents to confront their own mistakes. After hearing each other’s frustrations, will the parents wake up to what they’re doing wrong? One mom turns the camera on her daughter to show her bad behavior, but Dr. Phil sees something even more troubling. Are you making this common discipline mistake? If you knew you could be scarring your child for life, would you want to know? Tune in and learn how to parent your tween or teen in a way that will make him or her happy, secure and successful! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 6, 2009, 12:44 pm CDT

05/06 How to Be a Better Parent, Part 2

Quote From: tcsjhs

I have watched your shows.  I have a question.  Why are the children NOT held accountable for their actions?  It seems like the point of the show is to show how "bad" the parents behave.  Is it not possible that the children deserve some of the reactions of the parent?  After the same prolonged behavior of the child I think that the parents are entitled to show the frustration that they feel.  I do feel so bad for the mom of the 16 year old.  Is it the mother's fault that her daughter cannot behave in school?  I do not think so.  i think that the mom of the 8 year old is a bit over the top.  But possibly she too has some right to her own feelings.  Why should a parent bury their feelings just to make the kid feel better?  Isn't this why most children today have the "entitlement" issues?  Parents just giving in and letting them have their way to keep peace in the house when the child knows all they have to do is pitch a fit and play the victim.  I do feel sorry for the parents more so than the children.
These children behave the way they do because their parents have created an air of disfunction. They should be responsible for their actions but they will never change if their role models stay the same. It is a parents fault for giving in to fits and reinforcing bad behavior. Taking love away from a child or being verbally abusive does not change behavior it promotes worse behavior. As a parent you need how to express your feelings in a positive constructive manner not blow a fit because you are an emotional idiot. These adults are just dysfunctional children with a few more years behind them and they are creating a new generation of emotional retards.

May 6, 2009, 12:45 pm CDT

Quote From: elle2969

I have been a Dr. Phil fan for many years, but have never taken the time to register and post comments or even read message boards.  My anger after watching today's parenting show forced me to do so.  I just watched the portion of the show where the stone cold ("I don't like my weird daughter") mother verbally abused her daughter in the  bedroom.  I am absolutely shocked at the degradation, the mocking, calling her daughter a "little bitch" repeatedly, and chasing her about the room as if she was going to kill her.  I feel unbelievably sad for the daughter and would like to see her removed from the mother's home immediately, although it sounds as if her dad is a loser also.  This woman is a  MONSTER and must have some serious mental issues to treat her daughter (or any human being) in this manner.  I feel sick to my stomach.  She is a classic bully and does NOT deserve that child, or any child.  She is a child abuser.  
I couldn't agree with you more!  Davia's mother is nothing but a bully!!  All Davia wants from her mother is love. She needs mental help, and Davia needs a hero. I hope Dr. Phil will save this little girl from her abuser.  I will be praying for you Davia!

May 6, 2009, 12:47 pm CDT

Davia's Mom

I hope you read this!  You are a horrible horrible horrible person.  I'm not even a mother and I know how horrible you are.  If I had to grow up with a mother like you, I'd probably commit suicide.  You're ridiculous and you should be extremely embarassed.  No matter what Davia does she doesn't deserve what you put her through.  That poor child.

Davia - be strong! 

May 6, 2009, 12:54 pm CDT

what is wrong here

Quote From: dani960

These children behave the way they do because their parents have created an air of disfunction. They should be responsible for their actions but they will never change if their role models stay the same. It is a parents fault for giving in to fits and reinforcing bad behavior. Taking love away from a child or being verbally abusive does not change behavior it promotes worse behavior. As a parent you need how to express your feelings in a positive constructive manner not blow a fit because you are an emotional idiot. These adults are just dysfunctional children with a few more years behind them and they are creating a new generation of emotional retards.
These are children. They are not accountable for their behavior. These parents are the reason these kids are the way they are. These parents should have never been allowed to birth these children. This is sickening! RAise your kids better and if you hate your kids sooo much then drop them off at a firestation, they will be better off without those parents!

May 6, 2009, 12:56 pm CDT

I hope you're either kidding or a child yourself and sticking up for your generation because your post is absolutely ridiculous.  These children are the way they are because of their parents, and if you can't see that you need to watch the parents again. 

Children do not have the capacity to rationalize... that is why they aren't allowed to drive, drink, own credit cards, or watch R rated movies.  They learn from others... like the parents.....

wow

HELP DAVIA PLEASE!

I'm so upset at how Davia is being treated! I'm a Child and Youth care worker, and I've seen a lot, but this is ridiculous! Someone HAS to help this little girl! I couldn't believe when DAVIA asked her mom to go into the diary room, and tried to confront her mom with real emotions, and the mom just turned it around on her! And then said to the camera's "IIII took her to the diary room," No, she didn't, Davia did! Dr. Phil! Please help her! I'm so happy you chose her to be on the show. She needs you! This mother is sick. I wanted to reach into the television and hug Davia, and jsut tell her that she's a good little girl! She's trying!
Please give that mom a wake up call in a big way.
Thank you.

OMG ... i have too been a fan for many years but rarely log on to express my thoughts; however, i could not sit and continue watching without expressing my horror with Davia's mother.  She is not just a horrible parent but a horrible person!  The things she says is just unhealthy.  She should have watch herself on tape and maybe she would have realized how crazy she sounds, like honestly ... Davia seems like the more mature person on tape!  I think that Davia's actions were completely appropriate.  She might not have gotten her way with going out shopping but she went upstairs to her room and looked like she was trying to do homework.  WHY ON EARTH WOULD THE MOM CONTINUE TO PUT WOOD ON THE FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let her do her homework you effing crazy lady.  Who cares if she sulks; would you rather her engage you in that nonsense?  I hope she doesn't learn her mothers behaviours because they are so unbelievably immature.  Moreover, i hope her daughter learns how to act by doing the opposite of her parenting.  I would ignore her to ....... who wouldn't!  HELLO your daughter doesn't have the problem YOU DO.  Work on yourself, and MAYBE when you have figured out what's wrong with you she'll understand your HORRIBLE actions, but i hope she never forgives you because you certainly DON'T deserve it.

May 6, 2009, 12:57 pm CDT

what is wrong here

These are children. They are not accountable for their behavior. These parents are the reason these kids are the way they are. These parents should have never been allowed to birth these children. This is sickening! RAise your kids better and if you hate your kids sooo much then drop them off at a firestation, they will be better off without those parents!

May 6, 2009, 1:01 pm CDT

sidetracked

I feel that most parents need to take responsibility for their children's behaviour. To believe the child is the root of the problem is wrong. Children are an extension of their parents and the environment that parents create or permit will dictate how that child develops. On today's show I was absolutely appalled by one mother's behaviour, Tammie. It is evident over the past few shows that she consistently verbally abuses her daughter to the point where the child has become a shell of herself. We only know of what we see on the show however this relationship has probably been toxic for quite some time. This child is constantly belittled when appropriate parenting needs to be applied in a calm, consistent manner and she is made to feel unimportant when her mother uses her authority to control her beat her down to a pulp emotionally. It is evident that the girl needs attention, trust and respect. This child will grow up to feel worthless, lack affection, confused and have strong mistrust towards others. This mother is disgusting..I don't understand how you could lack affection for your child and be cold and demeaning. She truly lacks intelligence if she believes her daughter does not need proper guidance instead of ridicule. Someone needs to put this child in a healthy home, with love, warmth and proper respect from the right role models. In turn the child would be psychologically healthy and could function in the world because the right people would have shown her how to conduct herself, instead of her heartless, belittling "mother", Tammie.

May 6, 2009, 1:03 pm CDT

i agree

Quote From: crazy4critters

I couldn't agree with you more!  Davia's mother is nothing but a bully!!  All Davia wants from her mother is love. She needs mental help, and Davia needs a hero. I hope Dr. Phil will save this little girl from her abuser.  I will be praying for you Davia!
This child needs to be taken to a better home, this mother does not deserve the role of being a mother. She is disgusting and this little girl needs to be better taken care of, the mother is an abusive nut. My heart goes out to this little girl.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last