Message Boards

Topic : 05/07 How to Stay Sober

Number of Replies: 44
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:10:48 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil delves into the anatomy of addiction with two families on the verge of losing it all. Rigo was a police sergeant in charge of keeping crime off the streets, but at home he was taking up to 2,000 pain pills a month. He says his addiction caused him to lose everything he loved including his job and his family. Now he fears he’ll lose his beautiful home and his marriage too. Rigo says he’s been sober for seven weeks, but his wife of seven years, Robin, is doubtful. She says she’s seen him get sober and relapse so many times, if his current sobriety doesn’t stick, she will divorce him. Is Rigo doing everything he can to stay clean? Then, Chuck is an unemployed therapist due to his alcohol addiction. He says he’s had so many DUIs and spent so much time in jail, he can’t keep track anymore. He says he quit the bottle 90 days ago, but his wife of two years, Janet, calls him a habitual relapser. Is divorce in their future? If you think a loved one may be struggling with an addiction, or if you suspect your child is experimenting with drugs or alcohol, don’t miss this show! Learn the no-holds-barred truth about addiction, rehabilitation and sobriety, what to look for, and the cutting-edge medication and treatment that helps addicts get sober and stay sober. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 7, 2009, 1:38 pm CDT

Soberiety Option

As a recovering alcoholic that has experienced the challenge of relapse on several occasions, I was interested in todays information and purchased the book.  I do however feel that sobriety without a Higher Power or spiritual relationship is flawed.  I do a tremendous amount of research in preparation for a ministry alternative to the 12 steps.  Given Dr. Phil's affiliation with TD Jakes and others, I would like to see him delve into this topic with John Baker, Rick Warren, Mike Slaughter and others who have discovered great success with addictions of all types using the bible and Jesus Christ as the critical element for sustained sobriety. Within my shared ministry we emphasize the relationship with Christ, His teaching, His Word as the foundation and on-going strategic element for a successful recovery.  I think both Phil and the staff would be amazed at what can happen when an addict partners with Christ Jesus and allows Him to guide his or her recovery.  My wife, a nurse practicioner, would agree that even the best of medicine is no alternative to an uncompromising faith that Christ, at the head of proven strategies, is the most solid method for overcoming addiction.  I applaud Dr. Phil for the identification of how powerful and physically crippling addiction can be and working to erase the stigma that its grip is a sign of weakness.  I do believe however, and I am not some kooky zealot (aother misnomer), that the strength provided by Christ can heal the most desparate of addiction challenges.

May 7, 2009, 1:41 pm CDT

Run don't walk

I lived with an addict for 25 years, through 9 rehabs.  Like the man, on the show, pills were one of his habits, sometimes crack cocaine.  When I had finally had enough he was taking over 70 vicodins a day.  After I left him and he went to rehab for the tenth time he got out of rehab, broke into my house and viciously beat me.  He went to prison and served around 7 1/2 years. My grown children say he is a changed man. For their sake I hope so.

I think the chances are very slim for anyone to kick this habit. I had my children in alcohol/drug education classes, ala-teen, They resent so much growing up in this environment. One Christmas day they had to go visit  their dad in rehab !, went to good schools, cars to drive, etc.  but their DAD was an addict/alcoholic. 

I hope the man on the show taking 2000 pills a month realizes someday what he is doing to his wife and children and himself.  Also, if he is getting them illegally, he might go to prison if caught.  That was the worse thing ever for my children.

That is why i say run don't walk away.

May 7, 2009, 2:05 pm CDT

HELP ME HELP SOMEONE WITH ADDICTIONS

May 7, 2009, 2:41 pm CDT

K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Dear Dr. Phil

I am 33 years old and a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober now for almost 3 years. I've been through 15 years of different types of treatment. I've been inpatient 3 times, outpatient 4 times, taken the "stay sober" pill, and attended A/A. I love watching your show for almost every other topic than today's (How to Stay Sober).  Don't get me wrong, I think you had a lot of good advice on the show as well as what I consider "exuse therapy".  Let me explain a little bit.

I used to do everything in my power to deny or minimize my disease. It was so important for me to figure out  "WHY I DRINK LIKE I DO!!!!" that I couldn't see the forest for the trees. If a suffering alcoholic or drug addict were to watch your show today, I think they may get the feeling that our disease is more of a medical one than a spiritual one. In my opinion, when a suffering alcoholic tries to fix himself with therapy or rehab centers and fails, it's only because he didn't grasp the spiritual side of our disease. When there are too many "experts" around him to explain his disease to him, he just has more people to blame rather than looking inward for the cause of his relapse. Which is why I titled this letter "K.I.S.S." The only therapy I've found to work for me is A.A. and that is because of the spiritual side of the program. I no longer go to "experts" to try to fix me. The only expert I consult now is my Higher Power (whom I choose to call God) and I try to keep it simple stupid! My disease is only as unmanageable as I make it. And if I choose to make my life and disease unmanageable, it's more than likely because I'm looking for an exuse to stay sick. I think you are a great man and I mean no disrespect for what you do, but in your next show on addiction, don't forget to tell the suffering alcoholics and addicts to "Keep It Simple Stupid"!

Respectfully,

John von Schrader

May 7, 2009, 2:49 pm CDT

I hate my meds

Hi,

I have a neurological disorder which causes chronic severe pain.  I take Rx pain medication every day but only within prescribed levels. I have been doing this for the past 6 years.  How long can I continue to safely take these medications?  They work but I do fear that they will one day become ineffective.  I am also frustrated by the dirty looks, hoops I have to jump through each month to get the medications I need. (It can't be called in, I have to go to the doctor's office to pick up the scripts, It has to be filled one month at a time.  I have spent hours per month keeping up with my medications.)  I can tell you that I would not survive the pain if I were not able to get relief from it.  I would LOVE not to need the medication.  Can you at least acknowledge that there are some people who take pain meds legitimately and can control their intake.

Thank you,

Barbara

May 7, 2009, 3:20 pm CDT

05/07 How to Stay Sober

Quote From: ccandle

I am 38 yrs.old. I have an alcoholic husband. My husband has realized that drinking is not the way to go. But for two years he has been sober. I only supported him. But i to was ready to leave him because of his drinking. He has had so many DUI's in his lifetime. I think that he has realized what he has done. But every day he struggles with alcohol. I am hoping that he can keep up with what he has accomplished today. Yes, we do have stress in the family. But i also feel that by supporting him and not putting alcohol in the house gives him the support he needs. But he has done all of this for himself and admitted he has alcohol problem. I also went to al-non group for support. They have taught me alot. Make sure that you try to support him if he is willing to get the help he needs. This is the best of advice. But i am still with my husband now. We have been married for 17 years. I am very lucky to have him as a husband.
I am 41 and have been married for almost 20 years. My husband too has a problem with alcohol. We just got back together from a breakup due to his drinking. He realizes he has a problem but has yet tried to get help for it. He says he can quit himself. It has been just over 3 weeks since he has drank and he moved home a week and a half ago. I am willing to support him. I am going to Alanon and it is helping. I hope one day he will talk with someone. Until then I will support him the best I can.

May 7, 2009, 4:02 pm CDT

what about those destroyed along the way?

K have a question? why does everyone always sympathize with the addict  they made a choice good or bad,  what about those they destroyed along the way? I surely didnt sign up for this life and neither did my kids. I guess i still have alot to learn becuase i cant for the life of me understand why someone just one day says gee i think ill try drugs today um you cant really play the stupid card on that one they start teaching what drugs do in what kindergarden now a days. If you cant tell im a married to an addict that not only destroyed his life but wasnt happy until he took us down with him, but i guess thats my fault i let him, i let his whole addiction control my every move in life for years i  have just thrown my hands up  why bother trying if he has a death wish then so be it .  sorry if i have offended anyone and if you are in recovery you have my upmost respect because at least you are trying.

May 7, 2009, 4:24 pm CDT

Disease? I Think Not

I am getting sick and tired of being told that addiction is a disease. I personally don't really care what the dictionary definition is or what person or organization decided to call addiction a disease. If you are addicted to or dependent on something to get you through the day, that is your own fault because of the CHOICES you have made. If you really want to make the effort to get sober, you must make the CHOICE to do so. I have two questions for those who say addiction is a disease: Does a person choose to have cancer in their body? Can a person with cancer will it away whenever they want? Obviously the answer to these questions is no, and if anyone out there can actually answer yes to these questions, please let me know how!

May 7, 2009, 4:42 pm CDT

question about addiction

do addictions that are non-chemical have a medical (brain function) basis?

May 7, 2009, 5:30 pm CDT

From a sober woman

I recently celebrated 22 years of sobriety.  Alcoholism runs in my family - it goes back several generations - and I have no problem accepting that it is a disease.  In response to an earlier post, the alcoholic or addict does not "will it away".  They are still an alcoholic or an addict, but if they are diligent and do what needs to be done, they can put this disease into remission, much like cancer, etc.  My concern with today's show is that it is promoting other drugs to control the cravings.  This sounds like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.  I am a strong supporter of Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12 step programs where the alcoholic or addict has a really healthy support system.  I was glad to hear that Dr. Phil appreciates what the 12 step programs do, but, like most therapists, he feels that therapy and medication are beneficial.  I tried psychotherapists, psychiatrists, addiction counselors and psychologists over the years in my effort to stop drinking, but the only time I was successful was when I went to my first AA meeting 22 years ago

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last