Message Boards

Topic : 05/07 How to Stay Sober

Number of Replies: 44
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:10:48 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil delves into the anatomy of addiction with two families on the verge of losing it all. Rigo was a police sergeant in charge of keeping crime off the streets, but at home he was taking up to 2,000 pain pills a month. He says his addiction caused him to lose everything he loved including his job and his family. Now he fears he’ll lose his beautiful home and his marriage too. Rigo says he’s been sober for seven weeks, but his wife of seven years, Robin, is doubtful. She says she’s seen him get sober and relapse so many times, if his current sobriety doesn’t stick, she will divorce him. Is Rigo doing everything he can to stay clean? Then, Chuck is an unemployed therapist due to his alcohol addiction. He says he’s had so many DUIs and spent so much time in jail, he can’t keep track anymore. He says he quit the bottle 90 days ago, but his wife of two years, Janet, calls him a habitual relapser. Is divorce in their future? If you think a loved one may be struggling with an addiction, or if you suspect your child is experimenting with drugs or alcohol, don’t miss this show! Learn the no-holds-barred truth about addiction, rehabilitation and sobriety, what to look for, and the cutting-edge medication and treatment that helps addicts get sober and stay sober. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 13, 2009, 5:51 am CDT

05/07 How to Stay Sober

Quote From: lozbey

I have a lot of respect for the Dr.Phil show, but I did not like the 'addiction doctor's advice. Admonishing the man for saying he had an adverse reaction to suboxone - a HIGHLY addictive drug that is ripe for abuse. It's simply replacing one addiction for another. It's irresponsible and dangerous to continue to drug our society the way we do. Then the good 'Dr" compared it to diabetics requiring insulin  - -outrageous!   They are correcting and physiological imbalance with insulin. Since when do people require opiates to balance their brain? This is the latest trend...this will be the new Oxycontin problem we see today.  Quit pushing drugs on addicts!!  Just do a google search on the news that comes up on this drug -and you'll get to read about  the drug manufacturer's skyrocketing profits, as well as a litany of crimes that involve suboxone abuse.   Addiction recovery requires intense therapy, a support group, prayer/meditation/exercise  - and all kinds of HARD work. But the drug solution is not an answer.   

http://www.suboxone-addiction.com/

I agree wholeheartedly...as a recovering addict and former addictions counselor,  I don't understand curing drug addiction with other drugs...hello!?!?!?...it's as crazy as hooking addicts on methadone to replace heroin....they are still addicted with lives that revolve around their methadone treatment (heroin addicts I've counseled have told me that the physical withdrawal from methadone is far more unpleasant than that of heroin.

May 13, 2009, 5:58 am CDT

05/07 How to Stay Sober

Quote From: louise1020

I recently celebrated 22 years of sobriety.  Alcoholism runs in my family - it goes back several generations - and I have no problem accepting that it is a disease.  In response to an earlier post, the alcoholic or addict does not "will it away".  They are still an alcoholic or an addict, but if they are diligent and do what needs to be done, they can put this disease into remission, much like cancer, etc.  My concern with today's show is that it is promoting other drugs to control the cravings.  This sounds like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.  I am a strong supporter of Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12 step programs where the alcoholic or addict has a really healthy support system.  I was glad to hear that Dr. Phil appreciates what the 12 step programs do, but, like most therapists, he feels that therapy and medication are beneficial.  I tried psychotherapists, psychiatrists, addiction counselors and psychologists over the years in my effort to stop drinking, but the only time I was successful was when I went to my first AA meeting 22 years ago
I have been in recovery for 23 years...the benefits of 12-step programs are immeasurable...saved my life..however, I also needed individual therapy. Many addicts become that way by starting to self-medicate for deeper issues. 12-step programs are invaluable, but the recovery process often takes more than just that.

May 15, 2009, 11:18 am CDT

05/07 How to Stay Sober

Quote From: leogorky

I agree wholeheartedly...as a recovering addict and former addictions counselor,  I don't understand curing drug addiction with other drugs...hello!?!?!?...it's as crazy as hooking addicts on methadone to replace heroin....they are still addicted with lives that revolve around their methadone treatment (heroin addicts I've counseled have told me that the physical withdrawal from methadone is far more unpleasant than that of heroin.
Thanks to the sound minds of people in recovery and those who work with recovering people. We are always having to educate those who are misinformed about the disease of addiction. We know, a drug is a drug, is a drug. I am so glad to read that I am not the only one who believes another drug is not the cure. The medical field is always trying to cure us addicts and we in recovery simply need to stand our ground and carry the message "That an addict, any addict can stop using ,loose the desire to use and find a new way to live. Our message is hope and the promise of freedom for that is all we have to give."  It's worked for me for 16 years and I plan to stand my ground in my local fellowship and be there when the confused addict makes it to the rooms and is looking for a chance to live drug free.     

May 27, 2009, 12:01 pm CDT

HOW TO STAY SOBER

COMING OFF PAIN PILLS SUCH AS OXYCONTIN IS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I HAVE EVER BEEN TRYING TO DO IN MY LIFE! YES I AM A CHRISTIAN & I KNOW WHAT A SIN IS BUT WHEN I GOT IN MY CAR ACCIDENTS I DID NOT ASK THE DOCTOR TO PUT ME ON PAIN PILLS NOR DID I ASK HIM TO KEEP SUBSRCIBING THEM TO ME! I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CURRENTLY LOWER MY DOSE TO TAKE JUST ENOUGH TO HELP ME SO I DO NOT WITHDRAWL FROM THEM, BUT I MUST ADMIT THAT IT IS HARD KNOWING THAT THE REST OF MY MEDICINE IS SITTING RIGHT THERE! PAIN PILLS ARE THE WORST ADDICTION, AND A PERSON WOULD NOT UNDERSTAND UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN THERE! I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT SABOXIN, AND HOW TO GET IT , AND HOW IT WORKS!  THANK YOU!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next Page | Last Page