Message Boards

Topic : 05/08 Does Mother Know Best?

Number of Replies: 18
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 01, 2009, 10:12:32 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They changed your diapers, cooked your meals, did your laundry and put up with your bratty attitude, but does Mom always know what's best for you? Dr. Phil's guests say their mothers go overboard, and it's time to back off. Bobby, 24, lives with his mom, Rhonda. She irons his boxers, tells him when to go to bed and pay his bills and buys him anything he wants. Bobby says he's had enough and wants his mom to let him grow up. So why doesn’t he move out? Bobby's girlfriend, Kristi, says mother and son have an unhealthy, co-dependent relationship. Who will decide to cut the cord first: Bobby or Rhonda? Next, Angie says her 13-year-old daughter, Savanna's, behavior is out of control. She says the teen is failing school, is extremely hateful and has a horrible attitude. Savanna says she'd rather be in jail than live at home. Why does she say her mother is to blame for their feuds? How can this mother and daughter come together and learn to get along? Then, a husband surprises his wife, whom he says is an amazing mother. And, don't forget the special woman in your life this Mother's Day.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 8, 2009, 2:34 pm CDT

05/08 Does Mother Know Best?

Quote From: daylightkaty

I am wondering if Bobby is mentally challenged?  He appears to be, and maybe his mom is justified in watching over him.

His mother raised him that way, she's affraid to be alone, so she created this doll to play with all her life. The society is so quick to judge children, but so slow to have a real good look at parents. I think today's society shows the failure of us as parents, we still don't know how to raise our children. Mothers are the most egoistic people on earth, entitled to do whatever they please just because 'I am your mom'.

Boby is 25, but he was never taught how to think and act by himself, which entirely his mom fault. And it's not up to him just to be suddenly independant. It's like teaching your kid to speak english all his life, and then when he's adult force him to speak spanish! Definitely, mothers know nothing, I would love to ask those kids on the run why they prefer to be outside, living in the dump than be at home with 'loving moms'. And forget about mother's intuition, it's just another myth that women like to maintain alive to justify everything they do. We as men are constantly criticised and judged by women, starting with our mothers, it's time for a quick reality check for you. If we are equal as you claim, and I completely agree, then apply same criterias for yourself, I mean judge by results, and it's not pretty: kids are doing drugs, we have a whole generation of kids on Prozac and Ritalin, we have a whole industry of all kinds of therapies. Recently I did some research on serial killers for my work, and believe me, behind every serial killer there is manipulative, possessive, abusive mother, just like Bobby's mother. It's so easy to compile statistics about men's violence and abuse, but how can you prove the damage done by abusive mothers? I think though that the changes are slowly taking place and soon society will be much more severe with mothers and women in general.

May 8, 2009, 4:35 pm CDT

Mama's boy

Strange, but it's working for someone. He will never have another woman spoil him and love him the way his mother does. They both probably have insecurities about being alone, so she over compensates so he won't want to leave. He's eating it up all he can, but he needs to seem uncomfortable in the situation to make himself seem like less of a free loader. For his own good, he need to take the high road and be independent.

May 8, 2009, 4:56 pm CDT

Savanna, why not?

Let her go sit in jail. She might need it. If you ever need a good attitude adjustment county jail will do it. There are things worse than death. Living with your family with a roof over your head is not one of them. You should be more thankful. And you never know, be careful what you wish for.

May 8, 2009, 5:47 pm CDT

This mom has issues

I'm sorry I'm a mother of three kids ages 18,11 and 4 and I'm shocked that this 25 year old allows his mom to do this let alone on national TV. When Dr. Phil asked if he was being punked I thought the same thing. "How can someone go on TV and laugh and smile about this I would be embarrassed if my kids couldn't make a decision. My 11 year old son folds his own laundry knows how to pump gas basic cooking etc. . My 18 year old son does all his own laundry because I have taught those skills since day one to be efficient and not depend on someone else. I will say I'm glad about this being that I was diagnosed with MS two years ago there skills have come in handy when I have needed help. I'm so proud of all three of my kids for there indepence and self respect. I just re-watched the episode because I still cant believe he has a girlfriend that could deal with this and he laughes like its all a joke well the jokes on him because the real world isn't that easy and his mom is just as much to blame for this.

May 8, 2009, 8:47 pm CDT

Quote From: mtbenneni

Strange, but it's working for someone. He will never have another woman spoil him and love him the way his mother does. They both probably have insecurities about being alone, so she over compensates so he won't want to leave. He's eating it up all he can, but he needs to seem uncomfortable in the situation to make himself seem like less of a free loader. For his own good, he need to take the high road and be independent.

Love him? Are you joking? You call it love? Well, you may as well call a pedophile a loving father! Are you people so blind to caution with your ignorance that kind of abuse, because that's what it is. Bobby's mother is completely egoistic, she's incompetent as a educator, she's complete failure, and the saddest thing is that her son will pay during all his life for his mother being stupid.  I just can't believe she was sitting there smiling on national television while the audience was learning how abusive she is as a mother. What an arrongance! Only a mother can act this way! Shame on her and on people who still consider this as maternal love! You should read few good books, some of Alice Miller's books for exemple.

And his insecurities comes from his education, don't you think? If she had done correctly her job as a mom he would have been independant and mature man. Women complaint about lack of mature men, well take a good look at yourself as mothers. Sure, fathers carry much blame too, but you are not much better than as. All you can do is to give a bunch of stupid advices like: he needs to take the high road and all that junk, well take my piece of advice: be a better, less selfish mothers, and the kids will be fine, and the whole society along with it.

May 9, 2009, 12:05 am CDT

Quote From: marekz

His mother raised him that way, she's affraid to be alone, so she created this doll to play with all her life. The society is so quick to judge children, but so slow to have a real good look at parents. I think today's society shows the failure of us as parents, we still don't know how to raise our children. Mothers are the most egoistic people on earth, entitled to do whatever they please just because 'I am your mom'.

Boby is 25, but he was never taught how to think and act by himself, which entirely his mom fault. And it's not up to him just to be suddenly independant. It's like teaching your kid to speak english all his life, and then when he's adult force him to speak spanish! Definitely, mothers know nothing, I would love to ask those kids on the run why they prefer to be outside, living in the dump than be at home with 'loving moms'. And forget about mother's intuition, it's just another myth that women like to maintain alive to justify everything they do. We as men are constantly criticised and judged by women, starting with our mothers, it's time for a quick reality check for you. If we are equal as you claim, and I completely agree, then apply same criterias for yourself, I mean judge by results, and it's not pretty: kids are doing drugs, we have a whole generation of kids on Prozac and Ritalin, we have a whole industry of all kinds of therapies. Recently I did some research on serial killers for my work, and believe me, behind every serial killer there is manipulative, possessive, abusive mother, just like Bobby's mother. It's so easy to compile statistics about men's violence and abuse, but how can you prove the damage done by abusive mothers? I think though that the changes are slowly taking place and soon society will be much more severe with mothers and women in general.

Wow, someone's got a chip on their shoulder.  Mothers know nothing?  That's laughable.  There's a little something called self-responsibility.  Bobby is 25, he's perfectly capable of asserting his independence and moving away from his mom if he wants to.  It's highly expected out of people as soon as they become adults.  If you have issues with your mother, that's between you and her.  Therefore you and she need to deal with it.  Don't go roping all women into one category just because of your experience.  There are bad fathers out there as well.  As if men never judge women, please.  

May 9, 2009, 4:43 am CDT

Quote From: mtbenneni

You're right.  He needs to gain his own independence and she needs to let him. 

May 10, 2009, 1:09 pm CDT

Quote From: youknowwhat

Wow, someone's got a chip on their shoulder.  Mothers know nothing?  That's laughable.  There's a little something called self-responsibility.  Bobby is 25, he's perfectly capable of asserting his independence and moving away from his mom if he wants to.  It's highly expected out of people as soon as they become adults.  If you have issues with your mother, that's between you and her.  Therefore you and she need to deal with it.  Don't go roping all women into one category just because of your experience.  There are bad fathers out there as well.  As if men never judge women, please.  
He`s got a chip on his shoulder? You can say that again. He posted twice, basically the same anti-woman claptrap. He needs therapy to get over whatever he thinks his mother did to hhm.

First | Prev | 2 | Next Page | Last Page