Message Boards

Topic : 05/11 Behind the Headlines

Number of Replies: 134
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 07, 2009, 03:24:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a story that has parents hugging their children a little tighter. Seventeen-year-old Brittanee Drexel recently went to Myrtle Beach for spring break against her parents’ wishes, and she hasn’t been seen since. Did the high school junior run away, or is something more sinister behind her disappearance? Brittanee’s mother, Dawn, joins the show via satellite from South Carolina, where she is intensely searching for her daughter. What is the grieving mom’s theory about what happened that fateful night? Brittanee’s father, Chad, gives Dr. Phil his reasons for believing that the teen ran away. Then, Peter Brozowitz, reportedly one of the last people with Brittanee the night she disappeared, speaks out for the first time. Will his recollections shed light on the missing teen?  Find out why Dawn and Chad say they doubt his sincerity. Plus, Susan Smith made headlines in 1994 when she tearfully pleaded for the return of her two young sons, whom she said were the victims of a carjacking. The nation was stunned when the mom later confessed to murdering her kids. Her husband, David, describes what he says are the warning signs that Susan was on the edge.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 15, 2009, 5:45 pm CDT

a lot doesn't add up

I don't think it was fair for anyone to try to blame the boy for Brittanee's disappearance.  What was she doing with 4 boys by herself?  Why was she wandering around MB for 3 days by herself if she came with friends?  and what kind of friends get mad about a pair of shorts?  What kind of mother doesn't notice her daughter is not at home for 4 days?

A lot of this whole story doesn't make sense.  MB is not a bad place to be, its just like any other city.  common sense is what most visitors need but seem to leave behind when they come to visit.  This includes adults.

May 17, 2009, 6:34 pm CDT

Reply to mother putting her children out of the care

Dr. Phil,

I have just finished watching you show on "Behind The Scenes" (thanks to DVR - I record the week to watch on the weekends). But the portion of the show where the mother put her children out of the car for continued fighting, I must admit I have done somewhat of the same thing. The difference between how she handled the issue and how I handled it was a bit different. My son and daughter were warned MANY times during the car trip, which by the way did no good. I waited until we were almost to our destination, which was horse stables were we kept our horse. There was a dirt road on the property which was approx 1/4 of a mile that led to the barns. Now, the dirt road was visible at all times from the barn, and of course my children were familiar with the road and their surroundings, we traveled it every day. I felt very safe with them walking to the barn and was able to see them at all times. The dirt road was private property. I had threatened many other times to stop the car and make them get out if they did not stop fighting, but was not able to carry through with my threats due to their safety. I will tell you that on the ride home that evening, they were both perfect angels. They were both young enough at that time  - ages 10 and 6, so they were never really sure if I threatened to stop the car again and put them out that I wouldn't. They did not realize that  I only did it that particular time because I knew they were safe, but I never had to threaten them more than once on any  other car trip without them responded with a halt in the arguing and fighting. I do not agree with how this particular mother carried out her threat, but I do feel that if a parent is assured of the children's safety as I was - it works beautifully, and they NEVER forget it. They are ages 30 and 26 now and of course they still remember the day mom put them out of the car. They of course know now that I only did it knowing they were safe. I will also say safety is a much bigger issue now than 20 years ago, but in order to enforce cooperation and respect from your children you have to stand behind your threats, which means at this day and time, do not threaten something that can not be carried through due to safety issues.

May 18, 2009, 5:08 pm CDT

parents

Quote From: cadescove99

I was disgusted with everyone's, including Dr Phil's and the Drexel's attitude toward Peter.
Chad and Dawn Drexel, it isn't Peter's place to control your minor child. It's yours! There's more to parenting than telling your daughter she can't go on spring break. How about making sure she doesn't go! Making sure you know where she is. And, knowing who her friends are. This is your responsibility as the parents of a minor. And, no one else's!

I didn't like the way that Peter was being treated either. I think that the parents are so upset that they are going to place blame on anyone that may have been able to stop her disappearance. I know that as a mother I would probably do the same thing unfortunately. I can't imagine how the parents feel. They probably have alot of regret and going through the 5 stages of grief not even knowing what happened to their daughter. I am definitely keeping their family and Brittanee in my prayers.

May 23, 2009, 5:12 pm CDT

05/11 Behind the Headlines

Quote From: heather1978

I didn't like the way that Peter was being treated either. I think that the parents are so upset that they are going to place blame on anyone that may have been able to stop her disappearance. I know that as a mother I would probably do the same thing unfortunately. I can't imagine how the parents feel. They probably have alot of regret and going through the 5 stages of grief not even knowing what happened to their daughter. I am definitely keeping their family and Brittanee in my prayers.
I gotta say that i didn't care so much about peter's attitude!!  Maybe he shouldn't have so much put on his shoulders, but at the same time i don't think his mannerisms were appropriate given the situation.  It seems as if peter hasn't fully grasped that someone's daughter is hurt, alone, or worse.  I don't feel like the parent's were totally out of line because when something happens to your kids and u can find someone to blame u are going to lash out full force.  I think it is that whole "mother bear" concept, one that i didn't fully understand until having my son.

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next Page | Last Page