Message Boards

Topic : 05/11 Behind the Headlines

Number of Replies: 134
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 07, 2009, 03:24:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a story that has parents hugging their children a little tighter. Seventeen-year-old Brittanee Drexel recently went to Myrtle Beach for spring break against her parents’ wishes, and she hasn’t been seen since. Did the high school junior run away, or is something more sinister behind her disappearance? Brittanee’s mother, Dawn, joins the show via satellite from South Carolina, where she is intensely searching for her daughter. What is the grieving mom’s theory about what happened that fateful night? Brittanee’s father, Chad, gives Dr. Phil his reasons for believing that the teen ran away. Then, Peter Brozowitz, reportedly one of the last people with Brittanee the night she disappeared, speaks out for the first time. Will his recollections shed light on the missing teen?  Find out why Dawn and Chad say they doubt his sincerity. Plus, Susan Smith made headlines in 1994 when she tearfully pleaded for the return of her two young sons, whom she said were the victims of a carjacking. The nation was stunned when the mom later confessed to murdering her kids. Her husband, David, describes what he says are the warning signs that Susan was on the edge.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 11, 2009, 12:23 pm CDT

WHY?

okay  I am a new mother i've been following this story and your 17 year old daughter goes to s.c. AGAINST your wishes SHE IS 17 A MINOR WHY DID YOU LET HER GO HOW DID SHE GET THERE?? I MEAN COME ON STOP TRYING TO BLAME EVERYONE ELSE I BLAME THE PARENTS!! I HOPE THEY FIND HER SAFE AND UNHARMED!

May 11, 2009, 12:31 pm CDT

Evidently...........

Evidently, this girl has problems.  Don't blame the young man for any of this.  Everyone knows Myrtle Beach is a busy hangout for teens and a spring break destination.  The place is crawling with people at all hours of the morning.  That CHILD should not have gone.  The PARENTS should have been having a closer eye on her.  Please, the kid (Peter) is right.  He was not supposed to be a BABYSITTER.

May 11, 2009, 12:32 pm CDT

making an example

I don't really understand why Peter is being spotlighted so heavily? He should be concerned, and it seems like he is. But isn't Brittanee ultimately responsible for her own safety?

May 11, 2009, 12:34 pm CDT

come on dr. phl.....

The kid has nothing to do with it.  What do you mean "show some compassion"?   You guys are crazy.  That girl's parents should be to blame.

May 11, 2009, 12:42 pm CDT

What about her parents??

Shouldn't her parents feel slightly at fault? With everything that goes on in the world today, who the hell lets their 17-year-old daughter go on spring break out of state by herself?? I think Peter is the target of unfair blame. I am a parent of two very young girls and I would NEVER let them go away on their own at the age of 17!! Maybe the parents need to stop placing blame on the other older spring-breakers and take responsibility for their own actions!!

May 11, 2009, 12:43 pm CDT

leave the kid alone

I am sorry but that guy has nothing to do with Britanee missing. She was the one that ran away down their, SHE went to his room and SHE walked away. HE has done nothing wrong and he is right. He was down their on his spring break not to babysit anyone else. He did not help her run away and he is not responsible for what happened to her. He did nothing wrong and am really upset that this poor kid is having to defend doing nothing wrong on national tv.

May 11, 2009, 12:43 pm CDT

Seriously?

3 years ago my family and I moved from our home in Ohio to Rochester, NY. The move was forced by my husbands employer. We were in shock as the behavior of the people in Rochester was very different from anything we had ever seen in our 30 years in Ohio. I mention this because the cocky, defensive, belligerent posture that Peter and his Attorney have taken during todays show is a very good example of the behavior we typically see here.

While that may seem like a generalization....it is the truth. Not to say that there aren't nice people here as well. The Drexels are very nice people, and there are others. But, generally, this self involved attitude is what we typically witness.

That being said, I am not shocked by Peter's lack of compassion. I don't think he is worried about Brittany. I think he is worried about himself as made clear by his statements. He had ample opportunity to "save" himself by showing concern and compassion for the Drexel family. He did not do that. The hard part is knowing whether or not that is because he is guilty and knows more than he lets on...or if he is just a Rochestarian.

For the Drexel family....As the mother of a teen and this hitting so close to home, please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. We pray for Brittany daily and hope that she can be found soon. If there is anything we can do to help. Please do not hesitate to contact us through the Dr. Phil staff. God Bless.

May 11, 2009, 12:44 pm CDT

05/11 Behind the Headlines

I would just like to say why weren't the parents questioned on how they could not keep THEIR daughter from going on spring break....I mean, if they can't keep track of her how did they expect him to force her to ride in the car with him back to her hotel...seriously...I think the parent's need to wake up and realize that clearly no one could make her do what she did not want to do, and that's obvious. Now, with that said I do hope they find their daughter and I wish them the very best, but let's please put this blame game to rest b/c clearly they are just upset that they couldn't control her either, and it's not fair to put all this pressure on the only person that was there that IS willing to talk about it. It's not his fault that the other people that were there don't want to talk, and with all the negative attention he's getting....can you blame them? I certainly don't.

May 11, 2009, 12:50 pm CDT

Brittanee

Peter obviously had nothing to do with this. Rather than ask him why he was not a "gentleman" for not walking her daughter home, why doesn't she ask herself how she didn't know where her 17 year old daughter was? She just was able to get out of the state, let alone to South Carolina?! Any mother who allows their daughter to stay at a friends how for a week straight without coming home for anything, is simply stupid. I live in a neighboring town to Brittanee, and I can tell you that her friends and school are missing her like crazy. Although her mother may not be, everyone else misses her and wants her home. When Brittanee's mom found out she was missing, she didn't call the police right away. She just sat at home and waited for almost 14 hours. How does that make sense? Everyone here thinks that she ran away. Her mother was not a mother, and never will be. Britt-come home. No one is mad at you for anything. Peter didn't do anything wrong. Dawn keeps saying, "why didn't you come help" blah blah blah. WHAT ELSE CAN HE DO?! He has done everythign authorities have asked. Dawn is an idiot.

May 11, 2009, 12:50 pm CDT

leave him alone

I am really upset that everyone is being so judgemental about what this kids did or did not do. He did not help her run away to MB and its not his responsibility to make sure she gets back. He is right to say that he wasn't their to babysit anyone. He was their on his springbreak they weren't even together. Leave the poor kid alone and concentrate about how this 17 year old girl runs away all the way to MB in the first place. I mean some did drop the ball and someone should be under the bus...lets try to parents and what ever 17 year old issuses she had.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last