Message Boards

Topic : 05/11 Behind the Headlines

Number of Replies: 134
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 07, 2009, 03:24:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a story that has parents hugging their children a little tighter. Seventeen-year-old Brittanee Drexel recently went to Myrtle Beach for spring break against her parents’ wishes, and she hasn’t been seen since. Did the high school junior run away, or is something more sinister behind her disappearance? Brittanee’s mother, Dawn, joins the show via satellite from South Carolina, where she is intensely searching for her daughter. What is the grieving mom’s theory about what happened that fateful night? Brittanee’s father, Chad, gives Dr. Phil his reasons for believing that the teen ran away. Then, Peter Brozowitz, reportedly one of the last people with Brittanee the night she disappeared, speaks out for the first time. Will his recollections shed light on the missing teen?  Find out why Dawn and Chad say they doubt his sincerity. Plus, Susan Smith made headlines in 1994 when she tearfully pleaded for the return of her two young sons, whom she said were the victims of a carjacking. The nation was stunned when the mom later confessed to murdering her kids. Her husband, David, describes what he says are the warning signs that Susan was on the edge.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 11, 2009, 1:40 pm CDT

what about the parents??

First I would like to say, as a mother myself, I couldn't imagine this happening to my child.  But, on the show today brittanee's father was asking peter why he let  Brittanee, who is only 17yrs old, walk by herself?  My question is why was a minor in another state by herself in the first place?? She didn't go there with peter, and if was not his job to watch over her....I believe that was her parents responsiblity. 

May 11, 2009, 1:44 pm CDT

Leave this kid alone.

I can't believe Dr. Phil. The boy said he did not know anything further. What does he want blood from a stone? He is not responsible for this girl going where she went. He had no obligation to take care of her or walk her back to her hotel. The parents are looking for someone to take the blame off of them. Let's go to the beginning of all this. Where were the parents when she took off? Is it not their responsibility to take care of their daughter? I feel for them I really do but badgering this boy until he gives a false confession is not the answer. I can't believe the girl's father asked this boy how old he was and how old his friends are. What has that got to do with anything. It is his daughter and this boy had no obligation to babysit her on his vacation. We have all seen men railroaded into false confessions only to be proved innocent years later. Lets not point any fingers until we have undeniable evidence.

May 11, 2009, 1:46 pm CDT

Brittany is 17

Brittany makes good grades, is involved in sports and extracurricular activities. By age 17 most teens should be capable enough to make most decisions. Running off from Rochester and going to SC was obviously not the smartest thing to do, but this has little to do with WHY she's disappeared. Why is it her parent's fault? Mom had no reason to suspect, based on Brittany's history, that she would run off.  Once mom found out where she was there was little she could do. She did the best she knew...she stayed in contact with her.   What was mom supposed to do when Brittany said she was going to a friend's house, as she had done in the past without incident? Lock her in her bedroom?

My 17 year-old left one sunday morning to go to church with her boyfriend and his parents. She didn't come home. Either did the boyfriend. She had a car that I'd given her (she made straight A's in school). The police wouldn't do anything because she was 17. I got a call from the police 3 states away 2 days later. The kids were sleeping in the car behind an elementary school.  So....the boy had to catch a bus home, with a police taking him to the station and his parents had to meet him on this end. He was 16. My daughter on the other hand had to drive the car back because she was "of age". There was nothing they could do. They told me if she didn't want to come home, they couldn't make her. 

Luckily, this was the worst thing my daughter ever did and she was ok. It was not my fault that she made this choice and I don't think ANYONE blamed me.

I imagine everyone posting here wanting to blame the parents, NEVER did anything wrong growing up. NEVER did anything against their parent's wishes and are by far the most perfect humans walking the earth...except for THEIR KIDS.  As sick as this is going to sound, I'm going to say it anyway. I HOPE that one day your kid does something stupid, beyond your control so you will see just how little control you do have when you think you are so powerful and holier than thou.

I hope Brittany's ok...bottom line.

May 11, 2009, 1:50 pm CDT

peter is a target

I really want to know why these parents are grilling this kid when they are HER parents, why isnt someone stepping up to ask why this 17 yr 0ld girl was in myrtle beach with a bunch of other kids and not at home. why even if they didnt want her to go was she there, i think the fault does not lie on the shoulders of peter or the others, i think the fault lies on the parents for sure, if you didnt want her to go and she went anyway, why wasnt your butt in a car going to take her back home????

May 11, 2009, 1:51 pm CDT

Response to Mom dropping kids off in WhitePlains

I have a friend who did the same thing to her out of control, argumentative teen.  No harm was done and her daughter never pulled that abuse on her Mom again.  My friend had first tried to quell the situation which quickly escallated to her daughter yelling at her and using abusive language to her Mom.  Are parents now expected to take abuse and be subjected to violent and tense language from their kids?

Who do parents call when their children are stressing them to the point of illness?

May 11, 2009, 1:56 pm CDT

05/11 Behind the Headlines

Quote From: wwebber

I am appalled at the blame being thrown anywhere other than directly to the parents. As a mother, I would NEVER allow my 17 yr. old daughter to go to Myrtle Beach with other teenagers. And then for her mother and father to blame Peter for not giving her a ride or walking her home? Did they hire him to be her babysitter? And then for her father to blame Peter, saying that he "had her in his room" with 19 and 20 yr old boys...Come on...she was in his hotel room because she wanted to be there hanging around with cute older boys on Spring Break. Not ONE of those boys is responsible for her safety or well-being. Her parents are 100% responsible for her disappearance....she shouldn't have been there in the first place. And the reason Peter is probably not inclined to help the parents is because they have shifted the blame off themselves and onto him. They need to take a hard, long look in the mirror!!!
AMEN

May 11, 2009, 1:58 pm CDT

Dr. Phil:

I do not understand how Brittany's parents feel.  Having said that, the Father is jumping down Peter's throat because he didn't step up to the plate to stop his daughter from going off by herself.  The Father knew his daughter was a minor, only 17, yet he let her go on spring break out of state alone.  So, if anyone is to blame for Brittany walking alone or being with people older than her out of state, it would be her parents.  It is not Peter's responsibility to watch their daughter.  The parents didn't want her to go yet she went, not listening to her parents.  Why then do they think she would listen to a person only three years older than her?  I understand whete Peter is coming from.  He is a 20 year old kid not their daughter's babysitter.

May 11, 2009, 2:00 pm CDT

I just wanted to say I really hope the parents find there daughter. And I send all my love and will be  praying for you!

Also I just wanted to say that I dont understand why only Peter is being thrown under the bus, i agree 100% that they should be throwing the other 3 under the bus. Isnt Peter the only one that cooperated!?!?!
 From what I know as a parent, if someone wasnt talking to me especially when  she was with them that night and they are not returning your phone calls......thats just crazy......

May 11, 2009, 2:01 pm CDT

5/11 behind the headlines

Quote From: wilsonv_rn

it is absolutely horible that this young girl is missing and I do feel awful for her parents, but what really just bothered me the most watching this is that they are yelling at the guy who was with her (Peter?) about why he didn't insist she stay with him, why he let her walk the strip alone - like it's all his fault. HELLO?? they couldnt keep track of her, or keep her at home, why is it all of the sudden his responsibility to keep track of her? I'm sure they are grasping at straws, but maybe a different approach with this guy would yield some more positive results!

I don't want to sound heartless but I agree completely with this email quote.  Peter wasn't her babysitter. Yes, he should of asked her to call just to be safe ....but she could of said it also.  "I'll call you when I get back to the hotel."  These kids are only out to have fun & don't think of anything bad could happen.  I lost a son during spring break to an elderly person's bad driving.   I felt guilty that I let him go but all his friends were saying he's 19.  I still wished I kept him home.

The mother that told her children to get out of the car because they were fighting......I would of done the same thing.  When does it stop with children thinking they run their parents?  I have a grandson telling his father "I'll dial 911 if you yell again at me."  Fear gives respect....maybe parents should start putting the fear into kids when it gets to a point you don't know what to do? 
The mother only let them out of the car with the idea the girls would never fight while she drives again.  Where does it say she wasn't acting as a parent?  Would an accident be a better choice? 

May 11, 2009, 2:02 pm CDT

Quote From: dipost

I find it quite disturbing that Britannee's parents seemingly place the blame on Peter for not ensuring their daughter's safety.  Didn't Britannee go to Myrtle Beach against her mother's wishes?  Britannee is a minor, as her father said, so WHY did HE not STOP her from going?  What part do the parents play in this? 

If Britannee's own Mother COULD NOT STOP HER from even going to Myrtle Beach, how do they expect young Peter to STOP her from leaving his room on her own accord?  I do NOT believe he played any part in this and apparently Britannee has a strong will and mind of her own.  Why could Peter not have insisted on taking her back?  BECAUSE THEN it would have been called "FORCING AGAINST HER OWN WILL."

The parents need to leave Peter alone and perhaps ask themselves how she got to Myrtle Beach in the first place AGAINST THEIR wishes.  As Peter said, he is not her babysitter, he was clearly only friends with her and in a "spring break" atmosphere, he is not responsible for their daughter leaving his hotel room and then disappearing.

NOTE TO THE PARENTS:  iF YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY THE "SHE'S A MINOR" CARD, THEN WHY DID YOU ALLOW HER TO GO to Myrtle Beach unsupervised?  Where did she get the money?   It's time PARENTS put  a STOP to allowing their "minor" children to go on SPRING BREAK.  I know if I was 17 and my parents told me I couldn't travel to another state,  I WOULDN'T GO!  period, end of story!   

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The parents need to ask other girls and guys who were down there as well......If you were to ask me....I think they are blamming and questioning the wrong people...HOW DID SHE GET DOWN THERE?????

I think they should check into the family and what happened prior to her going?  What mood was she in????

Todays show gave me a stomach ache for Peter!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last