Message Boards

Topic : 05/11 Behind the Headlines

Number of Replies: 134
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 07, 2009, 03:24:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a story that has parents hugging their children a little tighter. Seventeen-year-old Brittanee Drexel recently went to Myrtle Beach for spring break against her parents’ wishes, and she hasn’t been seen since. Did the high school junior run away, or is something more sinister behind her disappearance? Brittanee’s mother, Dawn, joins the show via satellite from South Carolina, where she is intensely searching for her daughter. What is the grieving mom’s theory about what happened that fateful night? Brittanee’s father, Chad, gives Dr. Phil his reasons for believing that the teen ran away. Then, Peter Brozowitz, reportedly one of the last people with Brittanee the night she disappeared, speaks out for the first time. Will his recollections shed light on the missing teen?  Find out why Dawn and Chad say they doubt his sincerity. Plus, Susan Smith made headlines in 1994 when she tearfully pleaded for the return of her two young sons, whom she said were the victims of a carjacking. The nation was stunned when the mom later confessed to murdering her kids. Her husband, David, describes what he says are the warning signs that Susan was on the edge.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 8, 2009, 1:21 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Be Doctor Head Hind Lines Phil. Are  you kiddding me? What headline are you talking about? I donot und--

erstand that. See you on May Monday 11th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------

May 11, 2009, 6:39 am CDT

Brittanee

Dr Phil i think you should get someone to look into Briansdreams case #237.It was a dream from 2006.But if you look at the sketches and look at the information about her real dad and the pics of Brittanee then you may see the simularity that my 10 year old son and i do as well.

KKEP THE FAITH AND NEVER STOP PRAYING

May 11, 2009, 7:20 am CDT

Comments about today's show!!!

First of all I would like to send out my thoughts and prayers to the Drexel family. I a a mother of three small children 2 of which are girls and I could not ever imagine what they are going through. But my family and I are keeping your family in our prayers. I hope she will come home safe and soon. Second of all the lady that kicked her 2 daughters out of her car, I would like to say that she should have gotten locked up. That was just wrong. I mean what mother in her right mind would do something like that? Yeah i agree there may be times that you think about it but would never do it. Not to mention the fact that she is a lawyer. She knew what she did was against the law. What she should have done was pulled the car over and beat their asses. I believe that her license should be taken away and she should never be able to practice again. Also her children should be taken away from her because it she reacted like this just because they were fighting what else is she capable of doing when they do something more serious? I think people should really think about their actions before they react. And that is certainly what she should have done. She should have to pay just like someone else would have to.

May 11, 2009, 7:42 am CDT

Outrageous persecution of young man

The mother's approach to the young man on this morning's show reminds me of the leap to guilt with regard to the Duke Lacrosse team players. This is a mother who could not even keep her underage daughter within the state, and yet she thinks this young man, who had no responsiblity for her daughter, should have been able to convince her not to walk down the beach.  The fact that this young woman is  missing is tragic, but to drag this one young man--or even all of the ones in the hotel room--into this effort to find her is sensationism at its worst and a travesty to him when it is clear that this was a teenager out of control. Why would you want to ruin this young man's life when it appears so clear that he had nothing to do with her disappearance. 

May 11, 2009, 7:43 am CDT

05/11 Behind the Headlines

it is absolutely horible that this young girl is missing and I do feel awful for her parents, but what really just bothered me the most watching this is that they are yelling at the guy who was with her (Peter?) about why he didn't insist she stay with him, why he let her walk the strip alone - like it's all his fault. HELLO?? they couldnt keep track of her, or keep her at home, why is it all of the sudden his responsibility to keep track of her? I'm sure they are grasping at straws, but maybe a different approach with this guy would yield some more positive results!

May 11, 2009, 7:44 am CDT

Response to Something Dawn Drexel said

I totally understand where Dawn is coming from about Brittany not leaving home without her stuff as I had the same thoughts when my 13 year old ran away many decades ago.  I felt she had been taken also but it turned out she did run away with "a friend", using poor judgment and not understanding she was lucky with God's Grace to be protected during the 3 days she was gone till we found her.  Children do not think about what could happen to them as they feel empowered and protected from bad things that could happen to them.  As Dr. Phil has said many times, the reasoning part of the brain hasn't matured enough so they don't understand what their actions mean.  Maybe Brittany ran away and maybe not but Dawn should know it is a possibility and she may be surprised later on.  I remember I was extremely certain my daughter would never leave her clothes as she was so worried about how she looked.  That was the last thing on her mind, I found out later.  Just something to consider.

May 11, 2009, 8:13 am CDT

MEN WITH DEPRESSED WIVES..... LISTEN UP!

Men with depressed wives, or those women that suffer from evidence of post-partum behavior need to get their wives the help they require.  It's a HUSBANDS duty to take into consideration their spouses mental health when caring for HIS children.  Marriage is for better AND worse...which means GET HER MEDICAL HELP and perhaps the medication she needs to be "herself" again.  Depression is a mental illness, so those that have it might not see it in themselves.  That's why it's SOOOO important for husbands and relatives to make the effort to intervene when a wife needs it.  It takes a village to consciencely make sure we are each doing our part to make our society successful!!  Hope this suggestion does not fall on deaf ears.   Anne from MI

May 11, 2009, 10:14 am CDT

responce to show

Although I understand that the mother is upset and she has every right to be, she also needs to step back and understand that the young man is trying to help as best he can. 
And to that young man, He also needs to understand that, He is an ADULT, in our society, and even thought He is on Spring Break and "not there to Babysit anyone else", I as a mother would be less inclined to accuse him, if he took the stand and said, "No, I can't in good conscience allow you to walk to your Hotel, without someone to make sure you got there."  If my 3 year old was a minor of 17, I would be ever grateful for a 20 year old who was raised to honor being a Gentleman, and say to his friends, I'm taking her "home" Or, Please call us when you get there so we now you made it safely".  Up until I married and moved out of my parents home at 24, I still called mom and dad when I left a friends home, and then I would call that friend to say, I am home, later.
There are thoughts to be considered on both sides about what could have been done differently.

May 11, 2009, 10:17 am CDT

05/11 Behind the Headlines

Quote From: anne124

Men with depressed wives, or those women that suffer from evidence of post-partum behavior need to get their wives the help they require.  It's a HUSBANDS duty to take into consideration their spouses mental health when caring for HIS children.  Marriage is for better AND worse...which means GET HER MEDICAL HELP and perhaps the medication she needs to be "herself" again.  Depression is a mental illness, so those that have it might not see it in themselves.  That's why it's SOOOO important for husbands and relatives to make the effort to intervene when a wife needs it.  It takes a village to consciencely make sure we are each doing our part to make our society successful!!  Hope this suggestion does not fall on deaf ears.   Anne from MI
why is it not the mothers fault?  I dont understand how it is the mans fault.  she is the one that knows how she feels!!!

May 11, 2009, 12:20 pm CDT

Britanee

Very sad story!!! One thing, if the man who last saw her, left in the middle of the night to go back to NY, that should raise questions...furthermore, her cell signal was found near the Santee River...interesting...anyone who travels up and down the East Coast knows I -95 crosses over Santee River in SC....this kid knows more than what he's saying...he is more worried about the spelling of his name in the media, not for his missing friend.....interesting...15 hour drive and leaves at 2am after partying....

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last