Message Boards

Topic : 05/12 How to Be a Better Parent, Part 3

Number of Replies: 82
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 08, 2009, 02:40:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with four families who are tired of the fighting and chaos in their home and are striving to create peace. One of the parents in the house, Tammie, recorded home video of an argument with her daughter, Davia. After watching it, Dr. Phil doesn’t mince words when he tells Tammie how he believes she is scarring her daughter. What is at the root of Tammie's resentment and contempt? And, Dr. Phil warns one parent about what he’s doing that could drive his daughters to turn to other male figures for love and attention. If you’re the father of a preteen daughter, don’t miss Dr. Phil's words of warning! Then, a role-playing exercise offers a different perspective for the parents and the kids. Will seeing themselves portrayed by their family members open their eyes, or just add more fuel to the fire? Plus, see a trust exercise that gives insight into communication problems and parenting pitfalls. If you want to learn how to create a peaceful home and a phenomenal family, follow these parents! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 12, 2009, 2:07 pm CDT

POOR DAVIA

After watching the show with Davia's mother yelling and mocking her it made me sick to my stomach. I can't imagine talking to any child like that, especially your own. I feel so sorry for that poor little girl. It is sad to think that Davia believes this is all her fault and that she deserves that. Even after Dr. Phil tell her mother she is wrong and the mother realizes that, I am still scared for that poor little girl when they go home and Dr. Phil is not around.

May 12, 2009, 2:10 pm CDT

05/12 How to Be a Better Parent, Part 3

This should NOT be happening on television with millions watching. This is so unethical.

May 12, 2009, 2:24 pm CDT

This mom is the real life Devil!

Anybody who supportes this mom or her actions are absolutly horriable. I am so worried about Davia's well being. Dr. Phil  I pray to God that you stop her. I have such a feeling of helplesness when I see this. Watching her behaivor has made me physically ill. She is no better than any other abuser out there. I believe it is all of our responsibilites to stop people like this.

May 12, 2009, 2:41 pm CDT

Davia's mother is horrible

Oh my god, I am a mother of 3 children, 2 boys and a girl. My daughter is now 23 and an amazing young woman. I never thought I would have a healthy loving relationship with her back when she was in jr high and high school. From the time she was 12 until she was 20 or so she really made our household misserable. We faught regularly (daily) some physical but alot of verbal. I have always felt guilty for being so hard on her and for being "mean". After watching Davia's mother...I was not even mean. From the first show (5 min into Davia and her mothers story) my heart ached for Davia. I new immediatley that this poor girl has been so neglected. I have lost sleep over this. How can a "mother" be like this to her daughter??? I do not think that Tammy is going to be able to change. I think she is fake. Her fake tears make me sick. I want to go get Davia and take her to my home and Love her.  She is a perfect little girl starved for attention. I will pray for you Davia!!! IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!! Your mother is very ill!!!!

May 12, 2009, 2:42 pm CDT

If she only knew..

I had and still have a mother like Tammie, although I am now a mom and a grandmother, I still siffer the affects of an abusive parent. The damage being done due to the resentment of her mother will be with Davia for the rest of her life, like I once told my mom, she did not ask Tammie to lay on her back and get knocked up. Tammie if you did not want her, there was adoption. Tammie, it is not Davia's fault, it is yours.

May 12, 2009, 2:54 pm CDT

Davia's Mom makes me furious!

My wife and I can't have kids of our own...watching parents treat their children like this really makes me sick. We would love to take in a child like Davia and give them a safe structured place to grow up. I don't understand how Davia's mom can be so cold to her own child! I wish I had a child just like Davia.

May 12, 2009, 2:58 pm CDT

Was anyone else wiping the tears when Tammie called Davia into the timeout room to apologize?  I cried a bucket of tears for Davia.  I'm glad that Tammie was finally able to admit she's the problem and not Davia.  I'm also happy that Tammie was able to say the words, "I need to fix myself," but I hope by saying that, it doesn't let her off the hook. It thrilled me to see Dr.  phil get as real and stern with her as he did.  He's been accused of being too soft on past guests but I don't think he was with her. The reason she can't look her daughter in the eye is because her conscience is eating her alive since coming to Dr. Phil for help.  I am ecstatic that he did not mince any words. I stil think there's something she's not telling. Never in the history of his show has he been unable to get to the root of the problem.

May 12, 2009, 3:28 pm CDT

Quote From: leogorky

This should NOT be happening on television with millions watching. This is so unethical.
What shouldn't be happening on television with millions watching?  The fact that's happening at all, or the fact that it's publicized?  I don't mean to sound rude, I'm just trying to find out which side of the fence you're on.

May 12, 2009, 3:33 pm CDT

Tammie

Tammie,don't let all the negative post get you down,stick with it and make things better for you and your daughter.I saw so much of myself and my oldest daughter in your story and take it from someone who has been there,you need to fix things now!!My oldest daughter and I were fine until she turned about 5 then we seemed to drift apart,I couldnt figure out why it just seemed  like it was her job to defy me and mine to resent her.When she turned 16 I divorced her father it was then I learned of the source of our problems,her father had been molesting her since she was 5 and I was to stupid to see it.The damage had been done to our relationship but I was desperate to try to make amends and see if we couldnt salvage something.She left home at 18 ,joined the military and served in Iraq.When she got back home she started calling and we finally began breaking down some of the barriers and building a good relationship with each other.Nov 07 she was coming to have Thanksgiving with  me,it would be the first time I would see her in 2 years.She was involved in a auto accident and killed on the way here,she was only 22.I told you all this to get you to understand you are not guaranteed tomarrow with your child.Make up with her,love her and never say those nasty things to her again,you never know when it will all be taken away from you.

May 12, 2009, 4:39 pm CDT

Quote From: mommaduck613

Tammie,don't let all the negative post get you down,stick with it and make things better for you and your daughter.I saw so much of myself and my oldest daughter in your story and take it from someone who has been there,you need to fix things now!!My oldest daughter and I were fine until she turned about 5 then we seemed to drift apart,I couldnt figure out why it just seemed  like it was her job to defy me and mine to resent her.When she turned 16 I divorced her father it was then I learned of the source of our problems,her father had been molesting her since she was 5 and I was to stupid to see it.The damage had been done to our relationship but I was desperate to try to make amends and see if we couldnt salvage something.She left home at 18 ,joined the military and served in Iraq.When she got back home she started calling and we finally began breaking down some of the barriers and building a good relationship with each other.Nov 07 she was coming to have Thanksgiving with  me,it would be the first time I would see her in 2 years.She was involved in a auto accident and killed on the way here,she was only 22.I told you all this to get you to understand you are not guaranteed tomarrow with your child.Make up with her,love her and never say those nasty things to her again,you never know when it will all be taken away from you.
seriously? she resents her DAUGHTER being ALIVE, so what makes you think that she would miss her if she died!!!!!???? HELLO!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last