Message Boards

Topic : 08/21 Dangerous Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 25
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 08, 2009, 02:42:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/15/09) Nutmeg, candy, cough medicine, air freshener -- these may seem like common household products, but your teen may actually abuse these items. Maureen and Tim found out the hard way. The couple admits that they initially looked the other way when their 14-year-old son, Sam, started "smoking" crushed candy and then snorting powdered drink mix. Now they believe Sam's experimentation led him to buy marijuana. Dr. Phil has a heart-to-heart with Sam to get to the bottom of why he uses drugs. What does the eighth grader admit that brings his father to tears? Dr. Jim Sears, co-host of the hit show The Doctors, (link to: http://www.thedoctorstv.com) weighs in on these risky trends. Then, Adela worries for her 17-year-old son, Alex's, safety after discovering that he's participating in an underground extreme sport -- teen fight clubs. Alex and his 20-year-old friend, Casanova, say that these amateur boxing matches are training them to reach their goals of becoming mixed martial arts fighters. How do the teens respond when they come face-to-face with real Ultimate Fighting Champions? And, Teresa and John say they had no idea their 12-year-old daughter was leading an alternate life online ... and you won't believe how she accessed the Net! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 15, 2009, 3:52 pm CDT

05/15 Dangerous Teen Trends

Quote From: mweissflog

Just a note:

The last part of the brain to reach maturity is the frontal cortex, not the neocortex. The term neocortex refers to the grey matter layer that covers the entire mammalian brain. The frontal cortex is a specific part of the neocortex, and the true source of the skills of reasoning and self-control that are late to develop in adolescence.

Either Dr. McGraw needs to reviews his neuroanatomy, or there's a fact checker somewhere that deserves to be fired.
I think dr phil has said the frontal cortex is tie reasoning part of the brain and the last to mature on past shows. Maybe he had a brain fart today. He is right that 12 year olds have immature brains.

May 15, 2009, 4:06 pm CDT

05/15 Dangerous Teen Trends

Quote From: longwalker

I can not even remember the last time that I saw a child use "yes,sir" and/or "no,sir" while talking to an adult male on television. But Sam did it. Hopefully with Dr. Phil's help Sam's parents can prevent his making a big mistake with drugs. Meanwhile they can be very proud of the fine young man they have for a son.So many preteen and teens now come across as having a chip on their shoulder against the world. The boys wear their pants too big and their hair is too long. The girls wear clothes more suitable for someone in a rap video. And they both have too many piercings and tatoos. Since all this is associated with kids living at home with their parents, the fault for their attitudes and dress can be traced right straight back to the parents. And the well-mannered, clean cut kid we saw in Sam can be traced right back to his parents. It is a big pity that more parents do not walk that line.

I agree. Too many parents expect their children to raise themselves. If they could parents would be unnecessary. And most children have no manners because their parents never learned any.

May 15, 2009, 5:41 pm CDT

wait did dr phil seriously just send a kid to rehab

for smoking smarties??????... hilarious . and whoever asked what the death rate of smoking smarties is im pretty sure its 0. i know when i carmalize sugar in the kitchen the fumes just really get me high. its just kids trying to act grownup. most people have tried drugs of one form or another in their past.. some people drink and do not like it, some people might try weed and not like it. saying he is on the path of "drug abuse" is stupid he is 14 thats what 14 year olds do. great idea, is to tell him he is a drug addict that way when he goes to rehab and learns about other drugs he can try those out and blame it on his addiction..

May 15, 2009, 5:55 pm CDT

There's worse things out there then pretending to smoke candy.

Ok, so I couldn't even finish this episode because it was that ridiculous. I don't know if this should be concidered a "dangerous trend."  There are much more dangerous things teenagers could be doing then pretending to smoke candy, because if you watched the kids youtube video, he reccomends you DO NOT inhale, because it hurts.  Ok granted, this trend is really lame, and might be dangerous.  But there's bigger dangers to worry about, like cocaine? Or how about alchohol?  And dr phil pretty much treated this like a gateway drug.  It's friggin rocket candys!  Now every parent is going to sift though their kids halloween bags and throwing this candy out thinking, "oh no this could lead to my kid smoking crack....I seen it on Dr Phil...mmhmm yep I did.."

Does anyone remember the Bubble Gum cigerretts they used to have?  Because I do.  And I often pretended to smoke using this candy, and guess what?  I DON'T smoke, or do drugs. And I'm going to college! Who would have thought hey? And you want to know why I'm not an alchoholic or crack head?  Because my parents were able to think back to when they were teenagers, and they did stupid things too!  It seems every parent these days just assums their kid is going to smoke every drug their offered and end up on the streets, looking for their next hit.

Why cant parents accept that kids are going to make dumb disisons!  Parents need to spend quality time with their kids so they have a positive influences to help mold their morals and confidence, so teens dont feel the pressure to fit in.

May 15, 2009, 7:35 pm CDT

Admiration

I have never bothered to login into the Dr.Phil site, not because I don't love him, but just because. The young man with 5 sisters changed all that! I am a single mother of a WONDERFUL 3 yr. old little boy and I have to tell that young man's parents that I only hope that my relationship with my son allows him to be that honest with himself. I truely believe that the best people in the world are the people that can be honest with themselves. At such a young age this young man knew enough about himself and his family history to know that he needed to go away to get help. This is such a scary thing that all parents are going through wether they know/admit it or not. I work in child care and it is amazing what children know/do at such young ages.
I hope that everything works out for all of the families on the show!!!

May 16, 2009, 1:07 pm CDT

Hmmm....

Anyone else think it is possible that Sam is attracted to "drugs" because his parents are so hard on him? I mean his mother wrote a poem about how he had died and she did not even know him anymore when he made a bad choice. His father wants to send him away for his, frankly normal, curiousity. I am not advocating drug use by any means but come on, he made a mistake. He seems like an uncommonly senstive and honest kid. He is human, made some stupid decisions, and is admitting it. Give the kid a break....

May 18, 2009, 9:19 am CDT

Look Beyond the Obvious

I am always amazed at people who immediately watch shows and seek to criticize rather than look for the deeper message. We have two parents who are intimately involved in raising their kids and want the best for them and a young man who seems to want to do the right thing. Yes, his parent's initial responses were not the best, but when last have MOST of us responded in the most admirable way to disappointing news. Yes, Sam is a VERY well mannered and honest young man. He is very brave to tell the truth.

For those of you who paid closer attention to the REAL underlying issue - - its not that he smoked Smarties. It's that he realizes and acknowledges his inability to make the right decision under peer pressure. Is this NOT what all of our kids are trying to get victory over today. If he is incapable of saying 'No' to Smarties, then what else is he incapable of saying no to. Wake up people... look at the pregnancy, abortion, drug, teen drinking, and accidents statistics today. This show is NOT about smoking Smarties.

May 18, 2009, 11:43 am CDT

i love sam!!!!

sammy boy has been my friend since ooo gosh forever and even though he has made some pretty dumb decisions i still love him and i proud of him for telling the truth!!! love ya sam (:

August 14, 2009, 12:01 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Danger Doctor Erica Jay Jordan Ous Phil/Robin Teen Trend. That did it. I had enought of this repeat of yo--

ur show. See you on August Friday 21st, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------

August 21, 2009, 8:22 am CDT

To that last set of parents!

Why did you buy your daughter a product you knew nothing about? That is completely ignorant of you! with any piece of technology now days, You have the option to do a billion different things. Do some research before you buy your kids toys!

First | Prev | 2 | Next | Last