Message Boards

Topic : 08/21 Dangerous Teen Trends

Number of Replies: 25
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 08, 2009, 02:42:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/15/09) Nutmeg, candy, cough medicine, air freshener -- these may seem like common household products, but your teen may actually abuse these items. Maureen and Tim found out the hard way. The couple admits that they initially looked the other way when their 14-year-old son, Sam, started "smoking" crushed candy and then snorting powdered drink mix. Now they believe Sam's experimentation led him to buy marijuana. Dr. Phil has a heart-to-heart with Sam to get to the bottom of why he uses drugs. What does the eighth grader admit that brings his father to tears? Dr. Jim Sears, co-host of the hit show The Doctors, (link to: http://www.thedoctorstv.com) weighs in on these risky trends. Then, Adela worries for her 17-year-old son, Alex's, safety after discovering that he's participating in an underground extreme sport -- teen fight clubs. Alex and his 20-year-old friend, Casanova, say that these amateur boxing matches are training them to reach their goals of becoming mixed martial arts fighters. How do the teens respond when they come face-to-face with real Ultimate Fighting Champions? And, Teresa and John say they had no idea their 12-year-old daughter was leading an alternate life online ... and you won't believe how she accessed the Net! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 9, 2009, 1:19 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Danger Doctor Ous Phil Teen Trends. Are you kidding me? I was a teenager myself a long time ago. See-

you on Friday May 18th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2009, 10:52 pm CDT

05/15 Dangerous Teen Trends

Parents need to pull their heads out of their butts and start superving their children. No 12 year old child should have a secret online life. Her parents should know exactly what she is doing online. Or disconnect her computer.

May 15, 2009, 8:16 am CDT

statistics?

I only caught the last part of the candy smoking scene. I work in an after school program and my kids have been talking about smoking smarties. I talked with them about it and told them it was dangerous and then had a talk with the parents about it. What is all the info on smoking smarties. Like what could it do to your body and the death rate for it so I can better explain to my kids the risks of smoking candy.

May 15, 2009, 1:07 pm CDT

Dr. Phil needs to brush up on his basic neuroanatomy...

Just a note:

The last part of the brain to reach maturity is the frontal cortex, not the neocortex. The term neocortex refers to the grey matter layer that covers the entire mammalian brain. The frontal cortex is a specific part of the neocortex, and the true source of the skills of reasoning and self-control that are late to develop in adolescence.

Either Dr. McGraw needs to reviews his neuroanatomy, or there's a fact checker somewhere that deserves to be fired.

May 15, 2009, 1:20 pm CDT

Sam's good manners

I can not even remember the last time that I saw a child use "yes,sir" and/or "no,sir" while talking to an adult male on television. But Sam did it. Hopefully with Dr. Phil's help Sam's parents can prevent his making a big mistake with drugs. Meanwhile they can be very proud of the fine young man they have for a son.So many preteen and teens now come across as having a chip on their shoulder against the world. The boys wear their pants too big and their hair is too long. The girls wear clothes more suitable for someone in a rap video. And they both have too many piercings and tatoos. Since all this is associated with kids living at home with their parents, the fault for their attitudes and dress can be traced right straight back to the parents. And the well-mannered, clean cut kid we saw in Sam can be traced right back to his parents. It is a big pity that more parents do not walk that line.

May 15, 2009, 1:31 pm CDT

Honesty

I just wanted to ive the kid some props for being truthful when Dr. Phil was asking him if he was strong enough to face his friends. He did something a lot of adults have trouble doing, and that was brave of him to be able to be honest. He needs to know that there are people that support his honesty and wise decision to take your help because I know at his age I would not have been srong enough to go to a place to get help, I would have  probably  opted to stay home and I don't think that would have been wise.  Cara, Indiana

May 15, 2009, 1:32 pm CDT

Let's be real with our kids

When I talk to my 15-year-old about drugs, I try to be forward and put all the cards on the table. I have told him that it's dangerous to even experiment because drugs make you feel good. They make you feel so good you'll want to try them again, and again, and again. That's how you get hooked.

I then had him try and present me with any positive outcomes from taking illegal drugs; he hasn't come up with one yet.  I hesitated telling him only that "drugs are bad, don't do them". Our kids aren't stupid, so giving them the most information is, I think, the best way to help enable them to make the best choice.

I've also told him that these drugs ARE IN HIS SCHOOL. They are around and available and you need to be ready so you're not caught off guard and unprepared to say no.

Lastly, this is not a one-time talk. We talk with him (and make sure they are involved and talking too) often. We also let him know that if he ever finds himself in over his head, today is the best day to fix it. Nothing out there is so terrible that we will stop loving him. We'll get angry, but always love him.

May 15, 2009, 2:00 pm CDT

Proud

Just thought it should be said. This young man, Sam, what an inspiration he can and will be. The manners, instilled by his parents, are more than just manners. This is an attitude. These parents have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. Teens will be teens no matter the upbringing. They make their choices, as parents we wish we could make for them. But that's not the case. Sam proves to be a respectable, intelligent young man who made a bad decision. But the strength this young man had to come out into the publics' eye should prove his strength. I am so proud to have seen Sam and watch him respectfully answer questions Dr. Phil asked, including the hard ones. The honesty that Sam has shown is inspiring to me, and gives me hope that teens can be honest with their parents. As parents, we make every effort to educate our 13 year-old, rather than choose to ignore the possibilities out in the world. Do we make mistakes? Certainly. But we must own up to them, and show our children the right path and hope that they can follow it. God Bless Sam and his family. The road to recovery and happiness has started.

May 15, 2009, 2:39 pm CDT

Words for Sam

While watching the show today I felt compelled to write a message about Sam.  I was surprised about how honest he was and how well mannered he was as well.  It is a testament to how much pressure our children are under these days.  That even raised well with good morals and values, friends can be a tremendous influence for our children.  I come from a family with great moral values, Christian, strict but loving family, but I got caught up in the rough side of life.  Starting with alcohol and other drugs that can be bought OTC, I soon moved on to much harder drugs.  I unfortunately was not as honest as Sam and did not admit that I had a problem until I almost died.  That was my wake up call.  That family should be so proud of their son to have the courage to admit he has a problem and to come on national TV and talk about it.  I would like to tell Sam if I could, to hang in there, to know how special and important he is, how he should be an example to the world about the pitfalls of addiction and knowing how to ask for help and realizing that you can't do it alone.  God bless you Sam and your parents for not giving up and for showing Love in times of trials and tribulations.

May 15, 2009, 3:47 pm CDT

kids actting out

No matter what you do as a parent to get your kids to not do drugs & any thing else bad. They are going to make a bad discussion at some point in there life. So you can't always track it back to the parents. I know I wasn't a kid that long ago. I only got to watch a part of that but what exactly did snort & take in as candy? A parent can do everything in their power to stop their kids from doing bad things but no matter what they are going to do it some point in their life. Better young & have a better chance to save them. Then older & hurt them more.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | Next | Last