Message Boards

Topic : 05/18 DUI Outrage

Number of Replies: 110
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 14, 2009, 06:32:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A drunk driving fatality happens approximately every 40 minutes. Therate of alcohol-related accidents is 22 times higher than the deathrate for American soldiers killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Whyis a person with one, two or more DUI's allowed to get behind the wheelof a car? Is the system failing to protect us? Recently, Nick Adenhart,a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, was killed in a crashinvolving an alleged drunk driver. But he wasn't the only person wholost his life. His friends Courtney Stewart and Henry Pearson were alsokilled, and Jon Wilhite was left in critical condition. Hear Courtney'smom, Carrie, tell the tragic story of how her only daughter was"murdered" by a man who was reportedly driving with a suspended licenseand had one DUI conviction. Next, Mary was in the car with her husbandand 22-year-old son when they were hit by a drunk driver, and the youngman was killed. Mary is now a representative for Mothers Against DrunkDriving (MADD). Then, Dawn is a repeat offender with two DUIs. Shespent a night in jail, had a breathalyzer installed in her car and paidover $12,000 in legal fees, but says she still occasionally drivesafter drinking. Will she put down the bottle after Dr. Phil gives her awake-up call, and she meets Carrie and Mary? Also joining thediscussion is Jeanine Pirro, a hard-hitting, lock-'em-up judge who saysAmericans should be outraged and repeat offenders should be locked up,and Neil Shouse, a high-powered DUI defense attorney who says peopleare overzealous in prosecuting drunk drivers. Are drunk driving lawsharsh enough? You decide. And, do you know when you've reached thelegal blood-alcohol limit? Dr. Phil gives you pertinent information soyou know when you've tossed back too many. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 18, 2009, 7:47 am CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: riragirl

I can't believe the hatred and viciousness in people's voices when they are talking about people who have a DUI. In 2006 I made a mistake that I will never forget about, and I will never repeat again.  I thought I was being responsible by waiting 4 hours after drinking one drink to drive.  When  I took the breathalizer I was positive that I would be under the limit becasue of how long I waited to drive.  I wasn't a heavy drinker before my DUI, and I don't drink but once in a while now.  I really took offense to the disgust that was in these women's voices.  I am one of those people who is not a repeat offender.  Doctor say alcoholism is a disease, well lets work together as a community to help these people to change, rather than talk as if they are scum of the earth.  I know that loved ones have been lost to drunk drivers and they are angry, but the way to handle this topic is through love, hard work, and support, not attacking these people and put them on defense.  Trust me, when people are defensive, they get hard headed and don't listen to anything you have to say to them.  I don't agree with what people on this board are saying about punishment needing to be harsher for first time offenders.  I can say through experience, 3 years of not driving because I can't afford $400 a month for regular insurance, and $7,000 later that if I had to spend time in jail, I would be in even more debt and hardship than I am in already.  Since my DUI I haven't able to get a job that would pay well, and in the state that I live in you have to put a DUI on an employment application as a felony.  I think that what I have been through in the past three years has been punishment enough.  If I didn't have people in my life who loved and supported me through this, I don't know where I would be.  I do agree that repeat offenders need to be held accountable though, people make mistakes, we shouldn't judge them until we see them make the mistake knowinglly again.
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 18, 2009, 7:56 am CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

In the State of Ohio, DUI offenders are given licence plates that are yellow with red numbers and letters.  It's a GREAT idea...but we need more than just that. 

May 18, 2009, 8:04 am CDT

D-U-I=DOING-UNHAPPY-IMPRISONMENT

I THINK IF THE GOVERMENT WILL JUST DO ALCHOL AS THEY HAVE DONE TOBACCO=OVER TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT WE MAY SEE LESS  D-U-I"s wont bother me none to see a can of beer at the cost of $40.00 a can , seems just knowing jail time is near has not slowed  D-U-I down a bit !

May 18, 2009, 9:10 am CDT

Do something About this

Butte, Mt is a mining town with a long history of Alcohol abuse. Every year, Butte loses one of its own to a drunk driver. There is a grassroot organization that is buildingin SW Montana to put a stop to this senceless loss of life, and this organization is creating an impact. go to www.mariahschallenge.com to find out more.

This problem requires action.. Action to our Law Enforcement and Judges. Action by our retailers, and action by all Adults to teach responsibility.

May 18, 2009, 9:13 am CDT

SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEM

If you want a solution to the problem, here's how: First...bring back prohibtion.  That should make people should think twice before they drink alcohol.  Second...hold the police, judges...in fact...hold the entire justice system accountable for these repeat offenders.  They're supposed to enforce these laws.  Lastly...enforce these laws.  Get their butts out there and stop these people.  

May 18, 2009, 9:58 am CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: riragirl

I can't believe the hatred and viciousness in people's voices when they are talking about people who have a DUI. In 2006 I made a mistake that I will never forget about, and I will never repeat again.  I thought I was being responsible by waiting 4 hours after drinking one drink to drive.  When  I took the breathalizer I was positive that I would be under the limit becasue of how long I waited to drive.  I wasn't a heavy drinker before my DUI, and I don't drink but once in a while now.  I really took offense to the disgust that was in these women's voices.  I am one of those people who is not a repeat offender.  Doctor say alcoholism is a disease, well lets work together as a community to help these people to change, rather than talk as if they are scum of the earth.  I know that loved ones have been lost to drunk drivers and they are angry, but the way to handle this topic is through love, hard work, and support, not attacking these people and put them on defense.  Trust me, when people are defensive, they get hard headed and don't listen to anything you have to say to them.  I don't agree with what people on this board are saying about punishment needing to be harsher for first time offenders.  I can say through experience, 3 years of not driving because I can't afford $400 a month for regular insurance, and $7,000 later that if I had to spend time in jail, I would be in even more debt and hardship than I am in already.  Since my DUI I haven't able to get a job that would pay well, and in the state that I live in you have to put a DUI on an employment application as a felony.  I think that what I have been through in the past three years has been punishment enough.  If I didn't have people in my life who loved and supported me through this, I don't know where I would be.  I do agree that repeat offenders need to be held accountable though, people make mistakes, we shouldn't judge them until we see them make the mistake knowinglly again.
I am offended that you think their anger and disgust is unjustified. Their loved ones have been killed by drunk drivers for crying out loud! And a repeat offender is someone who got off too lightly the first time.

May 18, 2009, 10:06 am CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

My only child was killed by a drunk driver when she was seventeen in 2004.  The drunk driver was going 70 mph in a 35 mph zone at 3 in the afternoon in a residential area.  I have worked since then to reduce death and injury from impaired driving.  I have come to believe the drunk driver is more important than someone's life.  The legislators are in with the alcohol lobbyists to kill any meaninful legislation.  Time and time again I have seen people killed by drunk driver and when you look at the drunk's history his prior dwis weren't handled properly.  As a society I am ashamed that they look the other way.  No one is invincible and the drunks are on the highways at all times of the day.  A program was on the other day about all the precautions parents take to protect their children from germs and then what are we doing to protect them when they are on the highways?  It's time for the killing to stop.  I don't care what it takes.  I raised a wonderfu daughter for 18 years both of our accomplishments cut short just for one person's good time.

May 18, 2009, 10:13 am CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: raymom5

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That post reeked of self pity. Since when is drinking a mistake? I always thought it was a choice. As for the consequences they experienced? They chose them too. You choose the bdhavior? You choose the cmsequences!

May 18, 2009, 11:53 am CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: nisie86

My only child was killed by a drunk driver when she was seventeen in 2004.  The drunk driver was going 70 mph in a 35 mph zone at 3 in the afternoon in a residential area.  I have worked since then to reduce death and injury from impaired driving.  I have come to believe the drunk driver is more important than someone's life.  The legislators are in with the alcohol lobbyists to kill any meaninful legislation.  Time and time again I have seen people killed by drunk driver and when you look at the drunk's history his prior dwis weren't handled properly.  As a society I am ashamed that they look the other way.  No one is invincible and the drunks are on the highways at all times of the day.  A program was on the other day about all the precautions parents take to protect their children from germs and then what are we doing to protect them when they are on the highways?  It's time for the killing to stop.  I don't care what it takes.  I raised a wonderfu daughter for 18 years both of our accomplishments cut short just for one person's good time.
Anyone whose loved one has been killed by a drunk driver has every right to be angry and disgusted with those who drink and drive. Someone whined on this board about his job opportunities beinp limited by a dui conviction. What a piece of work! At least his life wasn`t ended!

May 18, 2009, 12:55 pm CDT

Something Has To Be Done!!!!

I am so fed up with this issue! I am glad that Dr. Phil is trying to do something about it by bringing it to our attention.  But locally, What do we do?  I know for a fact that numberous people in my neighborhood are constantly driving drunk.  Can we go after the local bars?  I know for a fact that 99% of the people that leave the local bar are regulars that keep the bar afloat.  And the drunks that stagger out of the bar are so completely obliterated that they don't even become sober until the next evening when they start drinking again.  I am a single Mom and I don't know what I would do if I lost one of my children.  People have no consideration for others.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last