Message Boards

Topic : 05/18 DUI Outrage

Number of Replies: 110
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 14, 2009, 06:32:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A drunk driving fatality happens approximately every 40 minutes. Therate of alcohol-related accidents is 22 times higher than the deathrate for American soldiers killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Whyis a person with one, two or more DUI's allowed to get behind the wheelof a car? Is the system failing to protect us? Recently, Nick Adenhart,a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, was killed in a crashinvolving an alleged drunk driver. But he wasn't the only person wholost his life. His friends Courtney Stewart and Henry Pearson were alsokilled, and Jon Wilhite was left in critical condition. Hear Courtney'smom, Carrie, tell the tragic story of how her only daughter was"murdered" by a man who was reportedly driving with a suspended licenseand had one DUI conviction. Next, Mary was in the car with her husbandand 22-year-old son when they were hit by a drunk driver, and the youngman was killed. Mary is now a representative for Mothers Against DrunkDriving (MADD). Then, Dawn is a repeat offender with two DUIs. Shespent a night in jail, had a breathalyzer installed in her car and paidover $12,000 in legal fees, but says she still occasionally drivesafter drinking. Will she put down the bottle after Dr. Phil gives her awake-up call, and she meets Carrie and Mary? Also joining thediscussion is Jeanine Pirro, a hard-hitting, lock-'em-up judge who saysAmericans should be outraged and repeat offenders should be locked up,and Neil Shouse, a high-powered DUI defense attorney who says peopleare overzealous in prosecuting drunk drivers. Are drunk driving lawsharsh enough? You decide. And, do you know when you've reached thelegal blood-alcohol limit? Dr. Phil gives you pertinent information soyou know when you've tossed back too many. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 18, 2009, 12:59 pm CDT

I agree....

I got a DUI in Jan 2007 (I was 21).  I got in a BAD accident and almost lost my life (I was the only car in the accident).  People kept telling me I was lucky and blessed to be alive. No, I am lucky and blessed to not have killed anyone. If I could, I would personally appoligize to every person that has ever lost someone to a drunk driver. 

The accident changed my life. I realize that I not only had a problem, but it was time to change.  I quit drinking all together. (I dont think everyone that gets a DUI should stop drinking, but I had a problem).

Not a day goes by that I dont stop and think about how lucky I truely am.

May 18, 2009, 1:10 pm CDT

Let he who is without sin...

Most people who drink and drive have at some point been guilty of...drinking and driving! That first DUI!...is usually just the first time you got caught!!? But as with most crimes and punishments, we either don't do enough or go way overboard!!! There IS common ground! There can be justice! Let the punishment fit the crime! Let you in all matters be judge on what is and not what could have been! We have all lost someone in some way that we have felt robbed!! For me it was a friend murdered in an atttempted robbery! Should I now feel that all those who choose to commit armed robbery should be in turn put to death?!...We truely lose our way sometime as a people and fail to show compassion to others as we ourselves seek it in favor of our many heartfelt causes! Peace and Blessings to all of you my friends...with Love. 

May 18, 2009, 1:12 pm CDT

DUI Outrage

Having the breath machine in car does not always work to stop a drunk drive.  My sister witnessed a man get into his car with his young child and had the little girl blow into the machine to start the car.
Sounds to me like he had been drinking and to drive intoxicated took an innocent child and endangered her life by driving drunk!
There has to be a better way!!!

May 18, 2009, 1:20 pm CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

All i got 2 say is..if you drink in drive i hope you burn!!..serioulsly!!...its been almost 3 yrs since my big brother was killed n he was 18!!..he didn't deserve this!..n the man that killid him was a illegal mexican with no driver lic. or anything for that matter!!..he dont remember hitting my brother that night!..n all he was was 15 years which means he only serves 5!

Nothin is the same now...he will never b a father or anything...he aint evn here 2 see his lil niece being born in september!

I think they need 2 be punished in the worse way they can...if they kill someone why should they be out here with us? they need 2 b in jail the rest of there life!!...we cant get our loved ones bac so why should they be able 2 be out of jail with theres!! 

May 18, 2009, 1:25 pm CDT

Too Bad

Quote From: cadescove99

I am offended that you think their anger and disgust is unjustified. Their loved ones have been killed by drunk drivers for crying out loud! And a repeat offender is someone who got off too lightly the first time.
Too bad you were the one who chose to drink now your paying the price. Well good for you. How do you think the people feel who have lost loved ones, and your worried about a job. If I knew who you were I'd boycot you from every job you apply for. You should do time in a g\facility with th worst criminals.

May 18, 2009, 1:26 pm CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: courtneybinnc

I got a DUI in Jan 2007 (I was 21).  I got in a BAD accident and almost lost my life (I was the only car in the accident).  People kept telling me I was lucky and blessed to be alive. No, I am lucky and blessed to not have killed anyone. If I could, I would personally appoligize to every person that has ever lost someone to a drunk driver. 

The accident changed my life. I realize that I not only had a problem, but it was time to change.  I quit drinking all together. (I dont think everyone that gets a DUI should stop drinking, but I had a problem).

Not a day goes by that I dont stop and think about how lucky I truely am.

Glad your wake up call didn`t cost anyone their lives, including your own!

May 18, 2009, 1:30 pm CDT

Dawn

Dawn (DD) needs to go to rehab before she kills someone. She needs to be taken off the streets.

May 18, 2009, 1:35 pm CDT

DUI Outrage

I must say that your topic today has struck such a chord with me, not only because of the loss of life due to something so preventable and not punished severely enough, but also because I am a child of an alcoholic who has been convicted of four DWIs one of which involved bodliy injury.  I live in the state of WIsconsin which has the one of the highest number of DWIs and some of the most lenient laws in regards to DWI.  The system is failing the safety of its people and children.  I begged that my father be committed to an inpatient treatment program prior to his sentencing, to no avail- he did minor jail time and probation for a year...now several years later, he has a vehicle and drives-DRUNK.  Drunk and impaired drivers have the propensity to reoffend just like sex offenders, yet we don't punish them severely enough.  If we made the punishment more severe the first time around, maybe people would think twice about getting behind the wheel.  If society would take a stand against what is "socially acceptable" and say there have been enough senseless deaths- maybe our legal representatives would start to take notice and act.

May 18, 2009, 1:45 pm CDT

Married to a drunk

I am married to a drunk (an abusive drunk) who got my car and his truck towed because he was caught driving drunk. I made the fatal mistake of going to sleep and forgetting to hide my keys. He got my car and thank God was stopped. I dont care about losing the care but I'd hate like hell if that fool had of killed somebody. Well were going through divorce now and I am happier than I ever have been in a long time, He is going through alcohol classes (which will not do him any good) . He has done time in jail (didn't do him any good). He lost his license when they impounded his truck. That did not stop him.  I think he needs to be put under the jail and rot like the rest of the drunk drivers. I think they should be treated just like serial killers and given life in prison with no thought of parole.  That woman on DR. Phil was a complete idiot and she should have her butt kicked real good. She seemed as if she had a few before she got on the show. A few years in prison would do her a world of good.

May 18, 2009, 1:48 pm CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: mr_marky

Most people who drink and drive have at some point been guilty of...drinking and driving! That first DUI!...is usually just the first time you got caught!!? But as with most crimes and punishments, we either don't do enough or go way overboard!!! There IS common ground! There can be justice! Let the punishment fit the crime! Let you in all matters be judge on what is and not what could have been! We have all lost someone in some way that we have felt robbed!! For me it was a friend murdered in an atttempted robbery! Should I now feel that all those who choose to commit armed robbery should be in turn put to death?!...We truely lose our way sometime as a people and fail to show compassion to others as we ourselves seek it in favor of our many heartfelt causes! Peace and Blessings to all of you my friends...with Love. 
Those worthy of compassion are those whn have been killed or had loved ones killed by drunk drivers or armed robbers. Not those who chose to drive drunk or chose to pull the trigger! No one is calling to put drunk drivers to death. Just keep them from driving drunk!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last