Message Boards

Topic : 05/18 DUI Outrage

Number of Replies: 110
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 14, 2009, 06:32:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
A drunk driving fatality happens approximately every 40 minutes. Therate of alcohol-related accidents is 22 times higher than the deathrate for American soldiers killed in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Whyis a person with one, two or more DUI's allowed to get behind the wheelof a car? Is the system failing to protect us? Recently, Nick Adenhart,a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, was killed in a crashinvolving an alleged drunk driver. But he wasn't the only person wholost his life. His friends Courtney Stewart and Henry Pearson were alsokilled, and Jon Wilhite was left in critical condition. Hear Courtney'smom, Carrie, tell the tragic story of how her only daughter was"murdered" by a man who was reportedly driving with a suspended licenseand had one DUI conviction. Next, Mary was in the car with her husbandand 22-year-old son when they were hit by a drunk driver, and the youngman was killed. Mary is now a representative for Mothers Against DrunkDriving (MADD). Then, Dawn is a repeat offender with two DUIs. Shespent a night in jail, had a breathalyzer installed in her car and paidover $12,000 in legal fees, but says she still occasionally drivesafter drinking. Will she put down the bottle after Dr. Phil gives her awake-up call, and she meets Carrie and Mary? Also joining thediscussion is Jeanine Pirro, a hard-hitting, lock-'em-up judge who saysAmericans should be outraged and repeat offenders should be locked up,and Neil Shouse, a high-powered DUI defense attorney who says peopleare overzealous in prosecuting drunk drivers. Are drunk driving lawsharsh enough? You decide. And, do you know when you've reached thelegal blood-alcohol limit? Dr. Phil gives you pertinent information soyou know when you've tossed back too many. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 18, 2009, 1:48 pm CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: courtneybinnc

I got a DUI in Jan 2007 (I was 21).  I got in a BAD accident and almost lost my life (I was the only car in the accident).  People kept telling me I was lucky and blessed to be alive. No, I am lucky and blessed to not have killed anyone. If I could, I would personally appoligize to every person that has ever lost someone to a drunk driver. 

The accident changed my life. I realize that I not only had a problem, but it was time to change.  I quit drinking all together. (I dont think everyone that gets a DUI should stop drinking, but I had a problem).

Not a day goes by that I dont stop and think about how lucky I truely am.

It is a relief to know that no one lost their life.  So many times people are only interested in defending their behavior that they never stop to think how they could have permanently altered an innocent family.  I'm so happy you were able to learn from your mistakes before it was too late.

May 18, 2009, 1:53 pm CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

The blonde alcoholic has no clue.

May 18, 2009, 2:02 pm CDT

I can't believe Dawn is oblivious to the damage that she is doing!!!  What right does she have to drink and drive and be aware of what she is doing!!!  My family, which consists of 2 young children, is on the road w/ peope like her!!!  She has NO RIGHT to put the people I love in danger!!  She deserves to be strung up by her toenails and beat!!!  She says that she doesn't deserve to be in jail! Why does she have to eventually kill someone to be woken up? She should be locked up and NEVER let out!!  I hope that she gets whats coming to her!!!!

May 18, 2009, 2:02 pm CDT

Sorry For your loss

Quote From: tersheryl

I was sickened listening to Dawn and I do not know how those two women sat next to her.  Hopefully, Dawn will watch herself on the show and realize she sounded like an idiot. What really scares me is that Dawn is not alone, there are many people like her that believe their actions do not have consequences and they can do whatever they want.  What is her wake up call going to be?  Fortunately, she has not hurt anyone, yet.

I wanted to say that everyone makes mistakes. I believe that people sometimes do things and not know the severity of this issue or probably don’t care. The problem is our pride and the belief that nothing will happen to us. I want to tell all the people that have lost someone from DUI that I am SORRY for your loss. I am guilty in driving with having a few drinks in my system and have been fortunate not to take any lives.  When I heard Dawn, I was not only angry at the way she responded but also angry with myself for having done all that as well and how irresponsible I feel.  When I was 18 years old, society and the movie industry made me believe drinking was fun and one of the things that you must experience as an adult. I would go to the clubs till it closes and drive home intoxicated. As I got older, the clubbing seen got old. I no longer go to the clubs but occasionally drink after a hard days of work at restaurants with colleagues.  I am now 32years old and consider myself a good citizen with a good driving record.  I still drink occasionally but because of this show, I would consider drinking responsibly (more so at home) or consider not drinking at all.

May 18, 2009, 2:08 pm CDT

DAWN IS AN IDIOT

DAWN ABSOLUTLEY SHOCKS ME WITH HER COMMITS ABOUT HER DRUNK DRIVING. WHEN DR. PHIL STARTED GRILLING HER SHE THEN STARTED ACTING LIKE OH POOR ME IF I ONLY KNEW HOW BAD I WAS IMPAIRED @ .08. SHE DRIVES ME INSANE AND PEOPLE LIKE HER DONT DESERVE TO HAVE THEIR LISCENSE

May 18, 2009, 2:10 pm CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

This topic struck very close to home with me. My heart goes out to all of those who have had family and friends taken away from them by those irresponsible.

The legal system is broken, VERY broken and failing us tremendously. I know this first hand because I am in the process of divorcing a very abusive alcoholic who has just received his 4th DWI in his 3rd state of residence. Yet the court thinks its perfectly acceptable for my young child to be left alone with this man.

Did you know that if you move from state to state.....your DWI records in prior locations are not considered? This is ridiculous! Repeat offenders are off scott free to put the innocent lives of others in danger. This is unjust! Why do the innocent have to suffer at the hands of drunk drivers?!! Enough is enough. as Dr. Phil says, past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. The FIRST DWI charge is enough and should be punishable by more severe standards to stop these people in their tracks.

May 18, 2009, 2:11 pm CDT

05/18 DUI Outrage

Quote From: sugarlooker

Too bad you were the one who chose to drink now your paying the price. Well good for you. How do you think the people feel who have lost loved ones, and your worried about a job. If I knew who you were I'd boycot you from every job you apply for. You should do time in a g\facility with th worst criminals.

Perhaps, your comments were meant for riragirl, the person who posted the following?

"I can't believe the hatred and viciousness in people's voices when they are talking about people who have a DUI. In 2006 I made a mistake that I will never forget about, and I will never repeat again.  I thought I was being responsible by waiting 4 hours after drinking one drink to drive. When  I took the breathalyser I was positive that I would be under the limit because of how long I waited to drive. I wasn't a heavy drinker before my DUI, and I don't drink but once in a while now.  I really took offense to the disgust that was in these women's voices.  I am one of those people who is not a repeat offender. Doctor say alcoholism is a disease, well lets work together as a community to help these people to change, rather than talk as if they are scum of the earth.  I know that loved ones have been lost to drunk drivers and they are angry, but the way to handle this topic is through love, hard work, and support, not attacking these people and put them on defense.  Trust me, when people are defensive, they get hard headed and don't listen to anything you have to say to them.  I don't agree with what people on this board are saying about punishment needing to be harsher for first time offenders.  I can say through experience, 3 years of not driving because I can't afford $400 a month for regular insurance, and $7,000 later that if I had to spend time in jail, I would be in even more debt and hardship than I am in already.  Since my DUI I haven't able to get a job that would pay well, and in the state that I live in you have to put a DUI on an employment application as a felony.  I think that what I have been through in the past three years has been punishment enough.  If I didn't have people in my life who loved and supported me through this, I don't know where I would be.  I do agree that repeat offenders need to be held accountable though, people make mistakes, we shouldn't judge them until we see them make the mistake knowingly again." 

I've come so close "putting someone in their place," then realized I clicked the wrong post, but it's an honest mistake. I hold the same opinion as you.  This person defends their negligent behavior with no regard to the possible victims.   

May 18, 2009, 2:12 pm CDT

BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD

I heard the word, rights, rights, rights mentioned. When I (dumbly and youngly-ooohhh so invincible) got a DUI. I first thanked God I hurt NOONE , second I lived without a licence and  for the first time since I was an infant became dependant on people again, third thought I never want to be in this position again. As for RIGHTS- i decided that I lost MY RIGHT to ever drink again!! Thank you for reading this and consider thinking about it if you are there now!!!!!!

May 18, 2009, 2:26 pm CDT

Just desserts

Quote From: riragirl

I can't believe the hatred and viciousness in people's voices when they are talking about people who have a DUI. In 2006 I made a mistake that I will never forget about, and I will never repeat again.  I thought I was being responsible by waiting 4 hours after drinking one drink to drive.  When  I took the breathalizer I was positive that I would be under the limit becasue of how long I waited to drive.  I wasn't a heavy drinker before my DUI, and I don't drink but once in a while now.  I really took offense to the disgust that was in these women's voices.  I am one of those people who is not a repeat offender.  Doctor say alcoholism is a disease, well lets work together as a community to help these people to change, rather than talk as if they are scum of the earth.  I know that loved ones have been lost to drunk drivers and they are angry, but the way to handle this topic is through love, hard work, and support, not attacking these people and put them on defense.  Trust me, when people are defensive, they get hard headed and don't listen to anything you have to say to them.  I don't agree with what people on this board are saying about punishment needing to be harsher for first time offenders.  I can say through experience, 3 years of not driving because I can't afford $400 a month for regular insurance, and $7,000 later that if I had to spend time in jail, I would be in even more debt and hardship than I am in already.  Since my DUI I haven't able to get a job that would pay well, and in the state that I live in you have to put a DUI on an employment application as a felony.  I think that what I have been through in the past three years has been punishment enough.  If I didn't have people in my life who loved and supported me through this, I don't know where I would be.  I do agree that repeat offenders need to be held accountable though, people make mistakes, we shouldn't judge them until we see them make the mistake knowinglly again.
First let me say this, if you really only had 1 drink you wouldn't be over the legal limit period. Secondly, you were obviously impaired enough that you shouldn't have been driving or you wouldn't have been pulled over. Yes you made a mistake but you also made a decision and like all decisions people make there are consequences, some good some bad but none the less consequences. If you actually only had one drink and somehow happened to be over the legal limit and got pulled over for no good reason and they did a breathalyzer because you appeared completely sober, then you must be really unlucky. You can drink a shot of 80% alcohol on an empty stomach and pass a breathalyzer. Everyone knows the dangers in drinking and driving and there is no excuse for it. The more I think about this the angrier I get. You are having a pity party for yourself because you made a decision to drink and drive. I don't care who you are you do not have the right to put me and my family in danger with your selfishness. People don't realize how there actions and perception in slowed when drinking, even if you have 3 drinks it will effect how you drive. On a more general note, the thing that gets me the most about people who drink and drive, "I drive better when I am drunk",says who? You think you drive better? You are drunk! Your friends tell you you drive better? They are drunk. NO ONE DRIVES BETTER DRUNK!! I have lost friends and family to drunk drivers and none of them were the people drinking. My friends and family have been victims of stupidity. 2 years ago a friend of mine was working construction on the side of the highway at 3am and was hit by a drunk driver and killed. He was just working and because some guy wanted to have some fun and didn't feel like getting a cab or finding a designated driver my friend is dead. One of the best guys I've ever known...dead. This is the kind of guy that was going to 3rd world countries building houses,making a better life for people, saving lives. Not only is he gone but the people who's lives he was gong to continue to change will never even know he existed. All of this so someone can go out and get hammered. There is no justification,no excuses and nothing that anyone can say to make that ok. People focus so much on the people killed by drunk drivers but it goes way beyond that. People are disfigured and disabled for the rest of there lives. Jacqueline Saburido(she was on Oprah a while back), a beautiful young woman with a bright future was hit by a drunk driver and burned almost to death. Now she has no hands or eyelids, she can't even dress herself. The life that she was dreaming of no longer exists. I have no sympathy for your mistake and the problems that it has caused you. It doesn't matter whether or not you are a heavy drinker, you never have the right to get behind the wheel intoxicated. You made the decision you deal with the consequence. Yes, people are angry because they have lost loved ones because someone "made a mistake". At least you are still alive, at least you didn't kill anyone because if you were over the legal limit you could have lost your life or taken someone elses whether or not you only had one drink which I doubt. You were obviously driving in a way that was suspicious which means you could have hurt someone. You are not a victim. Mistake or not you made a bad decision and now you are dealing with the consequence.  Welcome to life.

May 18, 2009, 2:32 pm CDT

Alcoholism - it is a disease, not a choice

Dr. Phil should know as well as the rest of us who live or have lived with alcoholics that drinking alcohol is not a matter of choice for alcoholics, it is a necessity. A person's drinking career may start out as just fun but once that invisible line between "normal" and alcoholic drinking is crossed, it always ends up in disaster, whether physical, emotional or spiritual.

The solution is not to put alcoholics in jail because jail does not address the reasons an alcoholic drinks. The majority of drunks who are charged with DUIs would love to stop drinking but they cannot. Until society, and especially those in the media, recognize and treat alcoholism as a disease there will be no change in the number of DUIs and the number of innocent lives destroyed by alcohol.

Thanks,

Jobeth

5 years sober in AA

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last