Message Boards

Topic : 05/20 How to Fix a Broken Family

Number of Replies: 11
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, May 18, 2009, 11:54:15 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've heard people complain, "If I only knew then what I know now, I wouldn't be in this mess," but what about those times when you choose not to see the writing on the wall? Dr. Phil meets couples who say their relationships went from bad to worse after they said, "I do," and now their families are broken. Melody was 18 when she got pregnant and moved in with Scott, and for two years, they argued nonstop. Before they got hitched, Melody says Scott would say, "I'm not in love with you. I wish you would leave, and I wouldn't marry you for a million dollars," so why did she walk down the aisle with him? Scott says Melody pushed him into fatherhood and marriage, and there are times he doesn't love his wife. Should this couple cut their losses now, or do they have a chance for a successful union? Next, Sheree and Shawn were married for nine years and have two teenage sons. Although they've been divorced for more than five years, Sheree says Shawn won't accept it, is still in love with her and finds ways to threaten and harass her. Shawn admits he still loves Sheree, but says she betrayed him when he was dying of cancer, and now she's alienating him from his kids. Is he playing what Sherree calls the "sick card"? Hear from a woman who takes care of Shawn. Is she contributing to Shawn's behavior? Then, hear what the teenage sons have to say. And, find out the five questions you should ask yourself before you end your marriage. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 29, 2009, 1:28 pm CDT

05/20 How to Fix a Broken Family

Quote From: holmes213

My wife and I have been married for 6 years and it seems like ever since the wedding day things changed.  I know this is going to be only one side of the story but it is my view.  Feel free to read between the lines.  To me it feels like everything that happens wrong is my fault and everything good is because of her.  I am in the Air Force and any time we have to move or anything that can only happen because of the military is my fault for being in the military.  A little background info on this, she pushed me hard to join.  Economy was bad and I needed a job and she thought this was the best way.  Granted I had the ultimate choice, but when it is convenient for her she forgets that she really wanted me to join.  There are things that happen that I have no control over and it seems like she blames me.  I guess the biggest problem I have is that I feel beat down.  I feel like she is controlling me, and then she tells me to be a man and make decisions.  She says I act like a child, but she treats me like one.  I guess this is just more of a venting session, but I dont know what to do.  I want to be happy, and I love my wife, I want her to be happy.  How can this be resolved without her thinking that I am attacking her and I dont love her?

If your wife isn't working, I suspect she's just using you for room, board, and free medical care. Especially since she pushed you into a military career. While there's plenty of crap to put up, such as constantly being told what to do and where to live, there are a lot of benefits, too! You want your wife to be happy, but is she even capable of happiness? She might need counseling. You might both benefit from it, as a couple.

First | Prev | 2 | Next Page | Last Page