Message Boards

Topic : 08/08 'Help Me Get My Kids Back!'

Number of Replies: 79
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 05, 2005, 05:27:47 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/02/05) It's nasty, unfair and vicious -- the extreme measures parents go to when fighting for the custody of their children. Tim says his ex-wife moved their kids to the other side of the country to "erase" him from their lives. The fighting keeps getting more vindictive -- and the kids are caught in the middle. Then, a father is in jail, the children are missing, and a desperate mother confronts the one woman who may know what really happened. Plus, advice for protecting your children. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 8, 2005, 2:51 pm CDT

helping anyway i can

Right after the show I went to the website for the children and printed out flyers. I plan to post them everywhere I possibly can in my state and email also. I hope that everyone with a computer will do the same and not only for these children, but for all of the ones that are still missing. We take the time to forward jokes, lets take the time for something really important and worthwhile.

August 8, 2005, 2:58 pm CDT

Found a good link for info...

Happened to stay home today, and saw this episode for the 1st time--didn't even realize it was a repeat.  As a mother of one, I was absolutely heartbroken and cried throughout most of the show.  I got so caught up in it, that I immediately went online after it finished to find any updates.  Very sad to find out that the kids are still missing.  It seems others are wondering the same, so I figured I'd post a link to the site that gave me the most info.  See http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/archive/index.php/t-7796 

I absolutely despise that Lisa Adkins!!  What a stinkin liar!! 

August 8, 2005, 3:09 pm CDT

??

First Dr. Phil show I have ever watched and probably one of the most heart wrenching. 

Definitely think that lady knows where those kids are. 

An update would be great. 

I also noticed there website they have for the kids hasnt been updated in a very long time. 

Doesnt seem there is much media involved with this. 

August 8, 2005, 3:10 pm CDT

08/08 'Help Me Get My Kids Back!'

Quote From: cinemaven

Today's Kansas City Star had 2 articles to update the case. Dan Porter is in jail awaiting trial on kidnapping charges and it's been over a year since there's been word on the children. Nothing but dead ends in the case and Porter has told police that he killed the children but he's also told them they are alive and safe.  

Sadly, the list of events prior to and after his taking the kids makes it look very much like the worst may have happened.  

He cancelled the children's life insurance 

Told a friend he'd never let his kids have a stepfather and later told him he'd figured out how to get out of child support. 

"After the children disappeared, Porter went to the house of his friend Rocky Hall and said, “Your mouth would hit the ground if you knew some of the things I’ve done.” The morning Porter was arrested, his half brother, Devin McGuire, asked him whether he killed the children. McGuire said Porter responded, “I’ve done something to the kids I don’t want you to know, because I don’t want you to go to your grave knowing what I’ve done.” (Kansas City Star

Jackson County Prosecutor Mike Sanders says there's no evidence that the children are alive. 

Porter's own father and half sister don't believe his stories that the children are alive. 

Following the Dr. Phil show, Lisa Atkins did give the letters to the police and she failed parts of one lie detector and passed another one. She believes the children are "with the Amish" who have no T.V. or newspapers so they don't know the kids are missing. (my own expletives would be deleted if I expressed what I thought of her and her opinions) 

Dan Porter goes on trial for kidnapping in November. He is currently serving 10 years in prison on weapons charges. Police found several of his guns in a river following his arrest.  

My prayers are with Tina Porter and my most hopeful thoughts are with Sam and Lindsey.  

Dan Porter goes on trial for kidnapping in November. He is currently serving 10 years in prison on weapons charges. Police found several of his guns in a river following his arrest.   

Is that not suspicous enough? Why would someone need to throw his guns in the river.  

This story just shocks me 

August 8, 2005, 3:39 pm CDT

Quote From: gjcarr003

From my understanding of the show, her and Lisa have been talking a lot about all of this.  She probably seems a lot calmer than most would be, because it's pretty much all been said before.  I do think she is still in shock.  Did you see her face after Dr. Phil gave his promise as to what all he would do to help find these children?  She was in complete shock.  She kept asking him if he was serious...if he was really going to do everything he just said.  She looked like she didn't believe him!  I pray that those children are safe and returned to their mother very soon.  And I do think Lisa knows something more than what she has said.  This is one of the situations where you almost wish something would happen to her daughter so she really knew what it was like.  I hope she realized that she isn't helping anyone by keeping secrets.  GL to all in helping find these two children. 

I did see her face and yes, she did appear in shock about receiving his help.  What a weird situation! It seems like it could have been handled differently. Especially Lisa and her FLIPID attitude toward these poor little children. More aggressive police work maybe? More coverage from the national news? I hope the children are safe.

August 8, 2005, 3:42 pm CDT

This is just awful...

Where are the police in all of this? Why aren't they putting more pressure on the father and his side of the family. He is the one who knows what has happened to his children, so why aren't the leaning on him? I am a young mother of two. And my oldest is not fathered by my husband. When he was little relatives in his family had problem with custodial interference. I today now worry every time she leaves with him of what his family may do. I would probably feel just like Tina does. It always happens when your guard is down and you think everything is all right. I just hope and pray that her two are safe and happy and come home soon.

August 8, 2005, 3:50 pm CDT

Quote From: ffwatcher

Happened to stay home today, and saw this episode for the 1st time--didn't even realize it was a repeat.  As a mother of one, I was absolutely heartbroken and cried throughout most of the show.  I got so caught up in it, that I immediately went online after it finished to find any updates.  Very sad to find out that the kids are still missing.  It seems others are wondering the same, so I figured I'd post a link to the site that gave me the most info.  See http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/archive/index.php/t-7796 

I absolutely despise that Lisa Adkins!!  What a stinkin liar!! 

That poor sweet mother.  For sure that Lisa lady KNOWS where those kids are - she is lying and should be tossed in jail until she shares the info she is hiding.  I hope she rots in hell - she deserves to. 

I wish there was more media coverage on this story - it is definetly worthy of it.  I wanted to see Dr. Phil take off running for his jet to go retrieve those cute kids and bring them home - like he promised. 

God bless the mother and her missing children. 

August 8, 2005, 4:15 pm CDT

MY hearts goes out to you

My hearts goes out to all parents missing their kids. 2 precious ones of my own, can't imagine not knowing where they are. I hope and pray you find your kids.

August 8, 2005, 5:58 pm CDT

My Heart Gos Out To Her And Her Children

I cant believe that someone would do such a thing. Children are not property they are people and they deserve to be in a loving home with some one who cares about them. I hope this women can find her children and get them back i couldn't imagine any of my nieces or nephews lost, or kidnapped my heart would be broken. I just hope that if any one has any information about these children then they will speak up or they are just as guilty as the father is!!!! 

August 8, 2005, 7:08 pm CDT

I don't understand why the same attention that was given to Shasta & Dylan was not given to this case?  I'd be tempted to have Lisa arrested as a c0 conspirator.  Then maybe she'd tell all she knew. I also have children, I don't know what I'd do if they vanished.  Our prayers are with their mom & family.  I hope they are found safely. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last