Message Boards

Topic : 08/19 Caught in the System

Number of Replies: 75
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, May 21, 2009, 05:57:56 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/25/09) Over half a million kids live in foster care, and many are neglected, unloved and viewed as a paycheck by their new family. Dr. Phil takes a hard look at the harsh realities these forgotten kids face and sends an urgent message about the need to repair this ailing system. Jessica, 24, aged out of foster care six years ago, but before foster care, she says her childhood was horrific. She says she experienced things a child never should, including witnessing the murder of her 5-year-old sister … by her mother and stepfather. Will Jessica find the strength to overcome her abusive past? Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s surprise for her! And, Dr. Phil and Robin are the national spokespersons for Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), which trains volunteers to watch over and advocate for abused and neglected children. Find out how Robin laid down the law at a recent CASA graduation. Then, Juan is 18 and has lived in 25 foster homes during his childhood. Now that he's been emancipated, he has no job, no identification and jumps from couch to couch. Can the young man get the tools he needs to turn his life around? Plus, find out how the New Orleans Saints head coach, Sean Payton, his wife, Beth, and The Dr. Phil Foundation scored a touchdown together! Join the discussion.

Ten years after the Columbine shootings, Anne Marie found a way to give back. She became a CASA volunteer. Read Anne Marie’s Blog.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 19, 2009, 4:31 pm CDT

Believe me its still a nightmare !

I was put in cps system when i was 2,and finally got adopted at 10,im thirty two now ,and im still at times in a child mind! The system is still the same from 1979 as it is today,they need constantly counseling for these kids,for the rest of their lives,even after we turn 18,we are the new generation of mental problems that was not address right from the begining! Im on social security for the rest of my life,i feel cause they (Cps) dont train their workers to address the problems instead of just finding a home. We need more than that! We need deep therapeutic counseling,til the day we die, we need for our kids and families too,cause they need to be educated on this situation too!

August 19, 2009, 4:38 pm CDT

UPSET WITH THE SYSTEM

My husband and I are foster parents and I am really upset with the system.  We are Fostering kids with the hopes of adopting them and we have these kids in our home for a short period of time and then they remove them and either put them in another home or back with their parents. My husband and I are doing the foster care for the right reasons.  We want to have children but due to medical reasons I can not carry a baby.  Therefore, we choose this route because we know there are so many kids that need a good home.  With every child we had had we have spent way over what we get for fostering the children.  We don't care about the money we just want to have the children.  Both my husband and myself want a family and we would do anything to have children, love them, protect them, and give them a life worth living for.  I think with the situtation that we are in we just keep get frustrated with the system and I am afraid that if this keeps happening to us that we are going to just stop foster care and then some children will miss out in being in our family and growing up being loved and adored.

Jamie

August 19, 2009, 7:19 pm CDT

Foster parents that really care

My husband and I are foster parents, we have one adopted a14 year old daughter and hope to adopt  the almost four year boy that we have had sense he was 6mos old. We work with teenagers because most people are afraid to deal with them, most of the children we get have raised themselves and don't respond well to any one that has rules right off.  but we found that just listening to them and letting them know we care and thats why we have rules and that most of the time the rules are here to protect them. The show made foster parents look bad, we keep plenty of food  and buy lots of cloths for them, as a matter of fact we do have lots of fun and try to keep a good sense of humor. We try to work with the birth parents as well because the kids still love that parent and the goal is to reunite with that parent if possible. Also they are not kicked out in the cold, they have a chance to recommit and go to college with free tuition, but the sad thing is that most of them don't take that opportunity.  

August 19, 2009, 7:37 pm CDT

08/19 Caught in the System

Good infor mation

August 19, 2009, 7:39 pm CDT

08/19 Caught in the System

I had not seen the show the first time it aired.  So I was glued to the T.V because I was once in foster care as well, and was touched that the problems with the system were being called out.  After the show I learned that Juan who was a guest on this show had passed away. I am devastated by the news.   My prayers are with his family and friends. 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next Page | Last Page