Message Boards

Topic : 05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

Number of Replies: 284
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 04:26:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Recently, the California Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8, a controversial measure banning same-sex marriage passed by voters in November 2008. The current ruling states that the ban is constitutional, but the state's 18,000 existing same-sex marriages will stand. Dr. Phil and his panel of distinguished guests continue their discussion of this controversial topic. Joining the debate are discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. The conversation gets heated as Dr. Phil takes comments and questions from his audience, which is evenly divided over the issue that has many Californians protesting in the streets. Share your thoughts, join the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 1, 2009, 10:33 pm CDT

Potatoe/Potato - Tomato/Tomatoe

Quote From: rebelwthcz

Hmmm!! Seems the gay community has a "SPECIAL" law for that too! Its called Domestic Partner. I as a heterosexual person can not have a "Domestic Partner" legally. I choose NOT to get married because of the disgusting divorce laws. However, I choose to have a "life partner" of the opposite sex. Marriage should be outlawed. Common Law should be voted in.

HMMMMMMM!!!!

Seems it's all in the wording isn't it?

Sadly, a COMMON LAW wife or husband can and do have the same rights as a lawfully wedded couple, most are simply ignorant that they can hire a lawyer to has out the details of said partnership.

However, a DOMESTIC Partner or LIFE Partner does not have the same rights.

Nothing should have to be voted out, just to promote discrimination.

June 10, 2009, 1:12 pm CDT

05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

Quote From: leogorky

I don't really care about your god, and I am NOT required to follow YOUR beliefs. Ever hear of separation of church and state.

You may not care about his God now, but you will when you stand before Him and give an account for your life. 

July 10, 2009, 7:41 am CDT

05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

Quote From: efffy_

Talk about a double standard? How about this one. Everyone can spout off about god but if one voice disagrees they are accused of forcing their view which is they have no view about something that does not exist... pretty funny.

The funniest of all is what you just said about people like myself that "spout off" about God.  Well, the same goes for those that spout off that there is no God.  Everyone suffers the consequences of other people's judgment.  I suffer your judgment and you suffer mine, in this case.  I guess you could say it comes with the territory.  Don't think you're exempt from the repercussions you suffer for your beliefs because I suffer the same repercussions for mine.

July 14, 2009, 8:38 pm CDT

The original meaning of Separation of Church and State

Quote From: leogorky

I don't really care about your god, and I am NOT required to follow YOUR beliefs. Ever hear of separation of church and state.

I have heard of Separation of Church and State but it doesn't mean what the majority now thinks.  Separation of Church and State means the government cannot force us as civilians to worship one religion in particular (Freedom of Religion), nor can it impose its laws upon the church. If I'm not mistaken, that's why people used to claim Sanctuary.   

“Wall of separation between church and state”—History of phrase
In the fall of 1801, the Danbury (Conn.) Baptist Association sent Jefferson a written address congratulating him on his election. In his reply on January 1, 1802, Jefferson penned these now famous words:

“. . .I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.”

First | Prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next Page | Last Page