Message Boards

Topic : 05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

Number of Replies: 284
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 04:26:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Recently, the California Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8, a controversial measure banning same-sex marriage passed by voters in November 2008. The current ruling states that the ban is constitutional, but the state's 18,000 existing same-sex marriages will stand. Dr. Phil and his panel of distinguished guests continue their discussion of this controversial topic. Joining the debate are discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. The conversation gets heated as Dr. Phil takes comments and questions from his audience, which is evenly divided over the issue that has many Californians protesting in the streets. Share your thoughts, join the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 29, 2009, 1:16 pm CDT

I JUST DON'T THINKS IT'S RIGHT

HELLO EVERYONE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT I DON'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE SAME SEX DATING ITS THEIR BUSINESS BUT AS LONG AS THEY KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES INSTEAD OF TRYING TO MAKE THIS WHOLE THING LEGAL I'M NOT THE SMARTEST MAN IN THE WORLD BUT LAST TIME CHECKED GOD CREATED ADAM AND EVE AND NOT ADAM AND STEVE OR EVE AND EVELYN AND BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING WE ARE ALL GOD'S CHILDREN AND GOD LOVES US ALL THE SAME  BUT WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE ARE WE SUPPOSE TO SENDING TO OUR CHILDREN OF TODAY WHEN YOU'RE WALKING DOWN THE STREET AND 2 MEN ARE HOLDING HANDS OR KISSING AND THE SAME FOR WOMEN AND IT'S LIKE WE HERE IN AMERICA JUST FEEL AS IF ITS OK OR PROPER TO BE GAY AND I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW ONE CAN SAY THEY WERE BORN GAY AND THE MORE WE ALLOW IT THE MORE ITS GOING TO CARRY ON AND IT DOESN'T HELP WHEN NOWADAYS YOU TURN ON THE TV AND THEIR PROMOTING IT MORE AND MORE BUT LIKE I SAID IF THATS WHAT YOU WANNA DO THATS YOU BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES AND BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING THEIR BAD PEOPLE CAUSE THEY COULD BE WONDERFUL PEOPLE, SO TO SUM EVERYTHING UP WE NEED TO PUT A HOLD ON THIS SITUATION BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF HAND.

May 29, 2009, 1:18 pm CDT

Where?

Quote From: cadescove99

Don't expect Dr Phil to take any kind of stand against the homosexual lifestyle. He has claimed, on several past shows on this issue, that homosexuals are born, "hardwired" is the way he puts it, with a sexual preference for their own gender. Don't know where he picked up this notion.
Your asking where he got this notion from? He got it from all official scientific organization including the APA. They all say homosexuality is not a choice. Why would we have chosen to be gay and have to fight for this. Did you choose to be straight?

May 29, 2009, 1:19 pm CDT

Same Sex Marriage

I must say I was really appalled at your final add on your show today.  I think it was really biased 

and I totally was not impressed.  I usually like your show, todays really put me off.

I am for our 'marriage' to stay between a man and a woman.  Union between sexes was for procreation not just for sex.  You don't see red birds and blue birds mating.  If two of the same sex wants to call it a union of commitment and live together, fine , just not MARRIAGE.  I still believe in the Bible and all it stands for.

Shirley

West Palm Beach. Fl

May 29, 2009, 1:24 pm CDT

The Left Agenda was wrong on this issue

On the re-cap of the show concerning same sex marriage, the left side pro gay marriage stated that this subject would not be taught in schools. In the book named "and Tango makes Three" has recently been passed in Loudoun, Virgina.

Notice to the parents will not be given out when this subject goes before the students the day it is taught. They do not want the parents taking their children out of school that day.

The far left gay agenda wants the world to accept something that is not what God ordained a marriage to be. It will never be accepted.

May 29, 2009, 1:24 pm CDT

Shame on you!

I am so disappointed that we are trying our hardest to change the definition of marriage! You can't go in and just change definitions in Webster's, why do you people think you can change this. The gay /lesbian community have the right to be with the same sex without scrutiny but how dare you demand you gain access to the same rights as those of us who respect the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman, the way God meant it to be. God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Adam. God said, "go forth and multiply", not go forth and try to make a statement. You cannot separate religion from government, it is what it is. Marriage is a ceremony performed by people of God, even JP's work in buildings that say "In God We Trust", there is no way around the fact that it is a religious sacrament. As much as we all want to be the same, we are not. We are all different, coming from many backgrounds. We need to accept that people are different, and it is ok. Because some have issues with their lifestyles does not mean that they have the right to destroy a sacred vow in order to make themselves feel better about the life they chose. I have many friends, of all races and genders and sexualities. And I respect each of them as individuals. They respect me for me. But when it comes to marriage we all agree that it is for the preservation of life to be created between a man and a woman, brought together by marriage and by God. Maybe if there was more religion in schools, more morality classes, more respect for our parents and their marriages and the way life used to be, before everyone needed to try to prove something, we wouldn't have the problems in schools today like we do.

May 29, 2009, 1:25 pm CDT

Say Yes to same sex marriage

i get mad when everyone has to throw  in the religion card for everything. Where do you go to get your marriage license. You don't go to the CHURCH, you go to the COURT. So why can't same sex people get married if they don't have to go to the CHURCH. If people can go out and get drunk, use drugs, murder people and then find GOD and ask for his forgiveness. Then why can't gay people ask for GODs forgiveness. You are not raised to be gay. You are born gay. People can say whatever they want but the truth is they are BORN gay. If GOD loves everyone then is it ok for YOU to carry so much ANGER and HATE towards gays. You don't have to live in their house and be apart of their life so why do you care so much what they do. People always say that gay people should not have the right to have kids. Straight people raise kids in broken homes, can't afford to have the kids, abuse and sexually abuse kids, parents are doing drugs and drinking but hey that is ok because those people are straight. Gay people want kids and do a great job raising their kids but they love them. Peopel always say that you get married to have kids. Do you know how many kids are waiting to be adopted. Do you know how many kids are left in trash cans or in front of hospitals. Why can't they be adopted by a same sex couple who can give that child LOVE, A HOME, FOOD, CLOTHES and SUPPORT. I wish people would grow up because the people who say they LOVE GOD are the same people who causing so much harm to gays. What would you do if your 4 yr old son decides one day to pick up a barbie doll or ur 4 yr old daughter picks up a football? Are you going to rush them to the church to be fixed.

May 29, 2009, 1:26 pm CDT

05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

Quote From: alexcooley

That is where you are confused though. No matter what you believe, your beliefs have no right to trump mine. The United States was founded on the seperation of Church and State and many of the founding fathers of the United States were atheist. It is usualy at this time that religious nuts will point to the dollar and say...it says one Nation Under God, but that was a new adition. It was not originaly on the bill. As far as traditional marriage...do you really know what traditional marriage is. No one lives that way anymore, and I'm glad.
Ok so you dont know what you are talking about!!!! There is only one god and he loves everyone the same no matter who you are.God made everyone the same and gave everyone differnt wonderful gifts. If you are gay then you are gay you have and should have the same rights as someone who is straight. You need to get off your self and open your eyes and look at the world around you. There are so many more important things in life then this issue. Gay people are the same as you and me!!!! We all should have the same rights!!! I hope my kids can grow up in a differnt worldwhere all people have the same rights. If my kids come to me and say Im gay I will be behind them 100%  I am also 100%behind my unlces and cousins and friends that are gay.

May 29, 2009, 1:26 pm CDT

WTF

Quote From: notanother1

GOD will not be mocked...it is for that reason HE destroyed an entire city when the people chose to go against HIS design.  HE created male and female to honor and worship HIM.  To have anything other than MALE and FEMALE "marry" in HIS name is blasphamy and for anyone to be BOLD enough to do that is to be pitied!  Oprah and Dr. Phil are not GOD...Oprah has strayed so far from HIM and has taken so many with her until it is pitiful.  I pray for this nation because it is becoming more and more wicked and unfortunately the fate will be the same...fire and brimstone!

Then you really shouldn't be living in the United States then should you? The United States as much as you may not want to admit it, is not a Christian State. It is a Secular state. The United States was founded on seperation of church and state. Many of the men who founded the US were atheist in fact. Besides are you honestly saying that you think, one population of the world will be "saved" but the rest are doomed. The fact that you belive how you belive is only because of where you were born. Imagine if you had been born in Iraq, chances are you would be muslim. So is that Muslim child to blame for where "God" had him or her born? Then again, almost no American can live exactly how the Bible says, not in todays world. Christianity in the way the church teaches it, is no different than what the terrorist preach. If you believed God was telling you to kill the sinner...would U? Oh wait he does...they Bible says homosexuals should be put to death? But than again it says many other people should be put to death. That would sure narrow down the population.

May 29, 2009, 1:28 pm CDT

05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

I dont understand why people are worried about what anyone else is doing. I am a straight mother of 5. Whether they can get married is not going to affect my marriage or my religion. If they are going to go to hell why are you worried about it? How does that affect you? Thats between them and their God. Not you, them and their God. How they live is of no consequence to me or my family.

May 29, 2009, 1:29 pm CDT

The message

Quote From: chitown0424

HELLO EVERYONE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT I DON'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE SAME SEX DATING ITS THEIR BUSINESS BUT AS LONG AS THEY KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES INSTEAD OF TRYING TO MAKE THIS WHOLE THING LEGAL I'M NOT THE SMARTEST MAN IN THE WORLD BUT LAST TIME CHECKED GOD CREATED ADAM AND EVE AND NOT ADAM AND STEVE OR EVE AND EVELYN AND BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING WE ARE ALL GOD'S CHILDREN AND GOD LOVES US ALL THE SAME  BUT WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE ARE WE SUPPOSE TO SENDING TO OUR CHILDREN OF TODAY WHEN YOU'RE WALKING DOWN THE STREET AND 2 MEN ARE HOLDING HANDS OR KISSING AND THE SAME FOR WOMEN AND IT'S LIKE WE HERE IN AMERICA JUST FEEL AS IF ITS OK OR PROPER TO BE GAY AND I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW ONE CAN SAY THEY WERE BORN GAY AND THE MORE WE ALLOW IT THE MORE ITS GOING TO CARRY ON AND IT DOESN'T HELP WHEN NOWADAYS YOU TURN ON THE TV AND THEIR PROMOTING IT MORE AND MORE BUT LIKE I SAID IF THATS WHAT YOU WANNA DO THATS YOU BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES AND BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING THEIR BAD PEOPLE CAUSE THEY COULD BE WONDERFUL PEOPLE, SO TO SUM EVERYTHING UP WE NEED TO PUT A HOLD ON THIS SITUATION BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF HAND.
I believe the message we are sending to our children is that it is ok to be yourself without the fear of being persecuted by anyone who considers themselves "religious" or our government.  Imagine what it would be like to be 12 years old and already knowing that you are gay, but having been taught your whole life that it is a sin and it is wrong. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last