Message Boards

Topic : 05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

Number of Replies: 284
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 04:26:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Recently, the California Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8, a controversial measure banning same-sex marriage passed by voters in November 2008. The current ruling states that the ban is constitutional, but the state's 18,000 existing same-sex marriages will stand. Dr. Phil and his panel of distinguished guests continue their discussion of this controversial topic. Joining the debate are discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. The conversation gets heated as Dr. Phil takes comments and questions from his audience, which is evenly divided over the issue that has many Californians protesting in the streets. Share your thoughts, join the discussion!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 29, 2009, 1:32 pm CDT

EQUALITY VS DISCRIMINATION

I noticed the title going along with gay marriage was "right or wrong" it should be more like "EQUALITY OR DISCRIMINATION". People against gay marriage are ignorant to the fact that sexual orientation is NOT a choice but it is biological. They did not choose to be made fun of, or discriminated or murdered. People also lack empathy for the LGTB community. If they could feel 1/10 the pain that gay and lesbian people go through when they are not allowed to marry the one they love there would be a lot more compassion. There were no valid points from the side against gay marriage that even I, a 16 year old student would have no problem rebutting for. For instance one of the men on the side opposed to gay marriage said that "the people" voted that gay marriage should be banned; and felt that that was a strong enough point for his argument. Just because one side has more people does not make them "right." "The people" voted Hitler into power also. Do you think that was a good choice? The huge flaw in democracy is that the ignorant man is the equal to an Einstein. The only time when that should happen is in a court. Also the colored woman who said you cannot compare the struggle of the black race to a gay person must not know that the gay and lesbian people were and still are discriminated just like the Blacks. It is very true that the black race struggled but since the dawn of time gay and lesbian people would be shunned if not murdered because of their sexual orientation. Just like the Jews the homosexuals were one of the most targeted group during the Holocaust. One cannot downplay the struggle of a gay person; just like one cannot downplay the struggle of an African American. I live in Canada, where gay marriage is legal, and I couldn't be more proud. As for now America is not the "land of the free."

Are Christains Responsible For Passing on The Truth?

As I watched todays show, it made me think about what real role does a christain play in this whole event of Same sex marriages?  I believe as Christains, we do have some responsiblity to let the Biblical truths be known. More importantly, it is about helping others to see that what they are doing will lead them to Hell, according to the Bible.

Remember, God destroyed Sodom and Gormorah for their same sex behavior. Common sense would tell us, that God created our human bodies pefectly. Which means that the body parts are made for a man and a woman to have sex and reproduce.

Also, it is my belief that if we as a United States allow same sex marriages, we will bring about a judgement from God. Although God is a very loving and faithful God, He is fed up with the immorality and will do something about it eventually.

I am sorry for those that have been fooled into believing this lifestyle is okay and that they will not have to suffer judgement by God.

I know, that the claim will be, "We are not hurting anyone", however, you are hurting a lot of people around you, that were not raised with this in mind. I can only imagine the heart of our Lord over this whole issue!

What will any gay person have to say when they stand before God on judgement day?

Finally, it seems that God is becoming a forgotten force and now you can see the results of how much worse our America is becoming. 

Same sex marriage

I can't believe you showed that ad featuring Jack Black.  That was totally offensive because it seems people who are in favor of same sex marriage can say and do whatever they like publicly.  I really don't like the fact that he not only ridicules people who believe marriage is between a man and a women, but he ridicules their religious beliefs too.   On the other hand, if you are against it, beware -- you will be scrutinized, called prejudice, and in some cases even lose you job.  Maybe that's why so many people are against same sex marriage.  You can't have an opinion and be respected, you must agree with them.  Why?  I should be able to say anything I believe in without suffering consequences (like Ms California).

May 29, 2009, 1:34 pm CDT

05/29 Same-Sex Marriage Reaction

Quote From: xokaren

Man wrote the bible, it's not really the word of God - it's a work of fiction.
Aside from that, you're assuming that gay people choose to be gay..
and that's actually not true.. they were born that way. Just like some
people were born with different color skin. That makes this whole
thing a case of discrimination and infringement on basic human
rights. No matter how much you quote the bible.. sad.. so sad
Exactly, so why would you want your marriage to be ordained by God?  You don't believe in the Bible.

May 29, 2009, 1:35 pm CDT

Lady with brown hair on show: read this!

Talking about her mother was a piece of crap and her dad and uncle raised her. You think your mom was crap because she left you to be raised by a gay man. I would be pissed off too. Just because your mom got knocked up by someone pretending to be someone else doesn't mean she was the one messed up. He might have threatened her, you don't know the truth, men lie, gay men lie more because they have to, they are gay. They have been living a lie their whole life. Furthermore, the way she said her "dad and uncle" raised her. THAT sounds a lot like INSEST or something nasty. Your dad donated the sperm and your uncle is sleeping with your dad? What kid wants to tell there friends that horror story?

May 29, 2009, 1:35 pm CDT

I'm Gay!

Quote From: chitown0424

HELLO EVERYONE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT I DON'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE SAME SEX DATING ITS THEIR BUSINESS BUT AS LONG AS THEY KEEP IT TO THEMSELVES INSTEAD OF TRYING TO MAKE THIS WHOLE THING LEGAL I'M NOT THE SMARTEST MAN IN THE WORLD BUT LAST TIME CHECKED GOD CREATED ADAM AND EVE AND NOT ADAM AND STEVE OR EVE AND EVELYN AND BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING WE ARE ALL GOD'S CHILDREN AND GOD LOVES US ALL THE SAME  BUT WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE ARE WE SUPPOSE TO SENDING TO OUR CHILDREN OF TODAY WHEN YOU'RE WALKING DOWN THE STREET AND 2 MEN ARE HOLDING HANDS OR KISSING AND THE SAME FOR WOMEN AND IT'S LIKE WE HERE IN AMERICA JUST FEEL AS IF ITS OK OR PROPER TO BE GAY AND I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW ONE CAN SAY THEY WERE BORN GAY AND THE MORE WE ALLOW IT THE MORE ITS GOING TO CARRY ON AND IT DOESN'T HELP WHEN NOWADAYS YOU TURN ON THE TV AND THEIR PROMOTING IT MORE AND MORE BUT LIKE I SAID IF THATS WHAT YOU WANNA DO THATS YOU BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES AND BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING THEIR BAD PEOPLE CAUSE THEY COULD BE WONDERFUL PEOPLE, SO TO SUM EVERYTHING UP WE NEED TO PUT A HOLD ON THIS SITUATION BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF HAND.
I'm Gay! That being said, why does your hetrosexuality take priority. The message it says to children is that Jim and James down the street love each other. That is all that need to be said. Being gay isn't just sex, it's who we love. Like when a young man first falls in love with a girl, he wants to scream it from the roof, a young gay man who meets a guy wants to do the same. How many straight ppl hugh, hold hands or kiss in public. Maybe, I don't want to see that. As far as what the bible says...that should be of no importance. Mostly because the US is a secular state in which seperation of Church and State are law. Imagine if you were the minority....says Muslims ran the country. You would not want to have to believe in those beliefs? Nor should you have to. Also being gay is NOT a choice. I am only 18 years old, and have never "chosen" to be gay. No more than I assume you choose to not be gay. The only way I can think of explaining it is...can you imagine yourself being with another person of the same-sex.....I imagine not...we that is how we feel towars people of the opposite sex We are not attracted to them. Also however if you believe you are raising your children correcltly, then you must believe that they will not be gay. But imagine for a moment one of your children tell you they are gay. What would you do. Ponder if it was your own child who couldn't marry.

May 29, 2009, 1:36 pm CDT

First of all, I have absolutely nothing against gays and I have gay friends and good for them for being true to themselves.  The thing that I find humorous in this whole debate is the fact that marriage wouldn't exist at all if God didn't institute it in His word, the Bible.  To me that means that anybody who participates in the institution of marriage is acknowledging that they are followers of God.  However, the Bible also states that homosexuality is considered an abomination.  So why on earth would anybody choose to validate their relationship through a ceremony that evolved out of a religion that considers them to be an abomination???!! 

Why wouldn't gay people just go with the civil unions instead of participating in something that is traditionally a religious ceremony.  It's kinda funny that they are all protesting and fighting to be part of a religion that shuns them!

May 29, 2009, 1:37 pm CDT

I am so upset. I cannot believe that man said that he did not have a choice on wheather or not he is gay?!?! What is wrong with people? Every one has a choice. NO ONE IS BORN GAY!!! A marriage is a sacred holy union between ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN!!! Don't be confused with being born gay and the DEVIL trying to make you believe that you were born gay!! God would never persecute an innocent baby by making it gay!! Because being gay IS WRONG and MARRIAGE BETWEEN THE SAME SEX IS WRONG!!! Please don't be decieved by the DEVIL!!!

May 29, 2009, 1:37 pm CDT

People in America should ACCEPT Same Sex Marriage

Dr. Phil,

I'm a 22 year old college student. I believe in same sex marriage, although I am straight. I believe people should live their lives as they choose.

May 29, 2009, 1:39 pm CDT

For those who are asking, "what kind of message are we sending to our children?" by legalizing same-sex marriage. For one thing, we'd be teaching our children that it is OK to be an individual and expect the same decency, respect, and human rights that everyone should be entitled to by birth.

Another point I'd like to make is that I am in a Human Sexuality class in college right now and we just recently dicussed Sexual Orientation. I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that after hearing many guest speakers who have "come out," it is a very painful, scary experience and many people were torn from their families after revealing their sexuality because their families couldn't accept them. It isn't a choice for everyone, many people who came out that day to my class talked about how hard they tried to be straight, people who went to Catholic school and think they are going to hell, and people who have even tried to undergo therapy to "change" their sexual orientation. The therapies do not have a high success rate and the rate of suicide among gays and lesbians is tragically high.

For those who are interested in the welfare of our children: Children who are raised in same-sex households are just as happy as children raised in heterosexual households (I've read this, and as we've all seen from the woman on the show raised by two men). The major goal for raising children is having two supportive role models. The importance of having two parents is not about whether a kid has a mother and a father, but two people who are supportive, nurturing, and responsible enough for parenthood.

What I'm getting at is that whether you believe it is a choice or not, people who are prevented to from marrying because of their sexual orientation are denied benefits that married couples have regardless of how long they have been together or how many children they have. It's not right. It is discrimination, and it's not about religion. It's about the law and what the law is not recognizing.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last