Message Boards

Topic : 06/18 Dr. Phil's First Show!

Number of Replies: 8
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 11, 2009, 01:14:56 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/16/02) Seven seasons ago, Dr. Phil kicked off his talk show  -- what he calls Truth TV  -- by getting real with stressed-out parents. Don't miss this wake-up call for people who argue in front of their kids. Meet Cathy, a single mom who says she was so overwhelmed by stress that she constantly yelled and cursed at her children, Stephanie and Vincent. Cathy wanted to stop her destructive behavior once and for all. Find out what happens when she and Vincent face off on Dr. Phil's stage. And, Stephanie and Bret said they made a huge mistake by saying "I Do." They argued about everything, even battling it out in front of their young son , and feared their confrontational marriage could end in divorce. What does Dr. Phil think? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 12, 2009, 8:49 am CDT

06/16 Dr. Phil's First Show!

Honestly I don't care who you are, how stressed you are, or what causes the stress for thar matter , people need to be "adult enough" to conceal it while their children are in the room.  Have your discussion(s) when you go to bed, but don't involve your innocent children, it just make an emotional wreck out of them.  Some may break the cycle, but most fall right into the trap set by their parents.  Luckily, I was raised in a peaceful home.  My parents had what they like to call "discussions" but NEVER did they verbally attack one another in vicious way and NEVER did they get physical.  Funny thing is, as low-key as their "discussions" were, it still made me a nervous wreck when they would do it in front of me.  At 28, I'm still that way.  I guess all I can say is I hate arguing!

June 12, 2009, 12:43 pm CDT

06/18 Dr. Phil's First Show!

Quote From: shelly_80

Honestly I don't care who you are, how stressed you are, or what causes the stress for thar matter , people need to be "adult enough" to conceal it while their children are in the room.  Have your discussion(s) when you go to bed, but don't involve your innocent children, it just make an emotional wreck out of them.  Some may break the cycle, but most fall right into the trap set by their parents.  Luckily, I was raised in a peaceful home.  My parents had what they like to call "discussions" but NEVER did they verbally attack one another in vicious way and NEVER did they get physical.  Funny thing is, as low-key as their "discussions" were, it still made me a nervous wreck when they would do it in front of me.  At 28, I'm still that way.  I guess all I can say is I hate arguing!

Dr Phil had to give this exact same advice to a couple on today's repeat show about "fighting fair". Children's constant exposure to their parents verbally abusing each other "changes who they are", he warns. Keep it civil and "keep it private", he insists. Advice he's been giving for seven years. Longer than that, if you include his guest appearances on Oprah Winfrey's show!

June 13, 2009, 10:29 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor First Phil/Robin Show. I donot remember the first show in 2002. Doctor Phil I wish you good luck.---

See you on June 18th, 2009 Thursday. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------------------------

June 16, 2009, 2:36 pm CDT

I'm looking forward to some "classic Dr Phil" and hope he'll rerun many such shows this summer!

June 18, 2009, 9:39 am CDT

graduation speaker

I believe we live in the great nation. I'm thankful that I was born and raised in this great country. The opportunities are endless. Your comment about a speaker who would come out like a penguin and who has already made it makes me feel sad for our young adults. Things in this country may not be perfect but we must not let our young people have fear that they can not rise above this. We need to tell them that this great country was built on determination and a desire for greatness and above all FREEDOM. They can make their life  wonderful with hard work. Lets make them believe they can achieve anything and not have to depend  goverment to meet  their needs. As a teenage Mom at 16  I finished school and worked parttime after school  to make payments to my Dr. and hospital to pay off medical bills. The Father of my child refused to be of any support and I would not go to the Welfare Dept. (as we called it then) to take care of my medical bills. I got myself into this and I would take care of my son the best I could. Thankfully my Mom let us live with her which was not easy for anyone. Thanks    

June 18, 2009, 1:45 pm CDT

Quote From: foster1202

I believe we live in the great nation. I'm thankful that I was born and raised in this great country. The opportunities are endless. Your comment about a speaker who would come out like a penguin and who has already made it makes me feel sad for our young adults. Things in this country may not be perfect but we must not let our young people have fear that they can not rise above this. We need to tell them that this great country was built on determination and a desire for greatness and above all FREEDOM. They can make their life  wonderful with hard work. Lets make them believe they can achieve anything and not have to depend  goverment to meet  their needs. As a teenage Mom at 16  I finished school and worked parttime after school  to make payments to my Dr. and hospital to pay off medical bills. The Father of my child refused to be of any support and I would not go to the Welfare Dept. (as we called it then) to take care of my medical bills. I got myself into this and I would take care of my son the best I could. Thankfully my Mom let us live with her which was not easy for anyone. Thanks    
I don't know what Dr Phil was thinking when he came up with that "come out like a penguin and...has already made it" comment. Isn't it better to have someone offering them hope that they can build themselves a good future? Than some commiserating doom-sayer who dashes their hopes?

June 18, 2009, 5:33 pm CDT

JUNE 18TH

Hi Dr. Phil,

You did it again.  I've got a headache and a great case of lumpy throat.  This poor young man having to be around a mom who is stressed out like that.  I am a volunteer with our local Cotillion group.  The kids are 9-13 and seeing what this fine young man has gone through breaks my heart. To think that one or more of ''my'' klids going through this is unthinkable but I' sure it probably does to some unknown extent.

I know you have  a program coming up on the family whose 15 yr. old was pregnant.  The thing that wiped my out was her younger sister who was really taking an undeserved  beating.

While I know you have an amazing effact on their future, it still makes me sad to think aboutt what has been going on

Thank you for rising up and ''giving these kids a voice.''

Ed Strong

June 22, 2009, 9:03 am CDT

I disagree the woman in line was raging

This is in regards to the woman who stood up to a bully cutting in line.  I don't understand what is wrong with that.  In fact, I don't think it's right if no one does anything about it.  What?  If the playground bullies somehow make it to adulthood without anyone stopping their entitled behavior, we are obligated to give them a free pass?  Dr. Phil mentioned people in Texas carry guns.  Well, I live in Texas, and we don't just lay down for bullies here.  I was in a line at the big superstore last year when a hugely tall man carrying a baby and a cake, with no cart, like everyone else had the forethought to do, came into the long line hurriedly and used his baby to try to cut in line.  Two other people politely stopped him and then he tried it with me, and I told him a lot of other people were also juggling kids and that he should have gotten a cart, just like they did, and he went ballistic on me, and I just had the cashier have security come over.  The big jerk trying to cut in line immediately assumed security was going to side with him because he had a baby and also because he looked relieved when the cop was the same race as him, but he was wrong.  I just calmly told the cop to keep him away from me until I could leave the store, and he did. 

Dr. Phil is right about just about everything, but I disagree we should let bullies get away with it, whether in the store or on the road.  Now, I do understand that you shouldn't be doing free-flowing cursing in the car with kids under any circumstances, but I totally think the people driving bad and being willfully careless and endangering other motorists' lives are by far the bigger problem than the frustrated safe driver who cusses at them after they've had to run off the road to keep from being hit by them.  And I think everyone should honk at bad drivers and tell them to use their blinkers, and that police should hand out more tickets for bad driving, but in our town, there aren't enough police, so people get away dangerous driving on a routine basis.  I back up my rage at people driving bad by going to community crime meetings and writing city councilmen urging better policing of negligent driving habits -- and I don't discriminate WHY a person is driving bad.  I think we need to stop making special rules targeting special groups and just free up police to stop anyone not using a blinker or weaving over the center line because they're on their cellphone or shoving a hot dog in their kid's mouth. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page