Message Boards

Topic : 06/16 Parent vs. Parent

Number of Replies: 6
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, June 12, 2009, 11:18:41 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
During tough financial times, families face some of the biggest pressures. When parents are on edge and fighting with each other, children are often a casualty of their hostility. Dr. Phil's guests Melissa and Robert say their four-year marriage and blended family is on the rocks because they argue all the time about how to parent and discipline their three teenage sons. Melissa says the greatest cause for concern is that a big marijuana problem has cropped up in their house. The couple says their 14-year-old, Ben, is spiraling out of control, and they're fighting a losing battle to help him; their 15-year-old son, Jacob, has stopped smoking pot but is in a relationship with a 13-year-old that Melissa thinks is wholly inappropriate; and 20-year-old Brandon gets high at home and frequently clashes with his stepfather. Are these troubled parents headed for divorce? Find out if this family under pressure has one last fight in them, and whether they will stand united, or be a family divided. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 13, 2009, 10:19 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Parent-Parents Phil/Robin Verse.  Doctor Phil where is Orgional Air Date? I donot understand that.-

See you on June 16th, 2009. Tuesday. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------ 

June 16, 2009, 1:05 pm CDT

trouble !!!!

I have a 17yr old son who has been in and out of treatment center and Juvenile detention centers I live in Md I have always made my son accountible for his actions I have even contacted the Gov office to make them aware of the way his cases have been handled I have tried over and over for our local Dept of Juvenile services for help with NO luck .. Ive gone before Judges and Im just viewed as a parent who dosnt care and no longer wants her son . The bottom line is if you dont have money to put your child into a bootcamp,boarding school or treatment center than good luck... I live as a prisoner in my own home we have pad locks on our doors I sleep in fear of what may come next ..No one in my state is willing to help Im told wait and in 10 months you can put him out on the street.. there is just so much more to my story I have a folder that I keep of letters that I have wrote to judges,case workers,PO officers . I pray everyday that I wont get a knock at the door to come to ID my son's body and I pray that I dont find him dead of Alcohol poisoning or something else he decided to take trust me Ive tried it all and Ins co wont pay if there not willing to get help he has ran from treatment centers in the past and Ins denied coverage.

June 16, 2009, 1:26 pm CDT

Mixed Familys

I am currently in a relationship with mixed family issues....he has 5 kids the youngest being 6 & 10.  The ex-wife lets the kids do anything they want....go to bed when ever they want...drink dr. Pepper and Mount Dew.....they have while in her care been cought in the street (a very busy street).  She also, has subjected them to her love life with being with 5 men with in the last year...the youngest when he was 5 we went out to get ice cream...there was Me, my Mother, my brother and the litte one....well we were passing where his mom lived and he said "Nana if you look out the window you will see my Mom she live right up there"  I said "sorry honey Mommys not home" he said "that's ok she is probably out sleeping with someone else"  He was only 5 yr old and doesn't need to be subjected to that. 

The Mother also said that she is thinking of moving in with her current boyfriend that lives 1 1/2 hours away.  She said "If I let you keep the kids all the time I don't want to pay child support!"  but, if she keeps the kids all the time she wants us to pay her child support. 

I love my honey heart and soul but am sick and tired of having to watch what the kids are going through....it also hurts me when the kids ask "when are we going back to our Mom's"....I ask "why do you want to go to your Mom's"....they BOTH say "because she lets us do what ever we want"

June 16, 2009, 1:46 pm CDT

06/16 Parent vs. Parent

Hearing 14-year-old Ben speak, it's obvious all that pot smoking has damaged his brain. He definitely isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. If he were to try dealing drugs, he'd be just the type to make his first sale to an undercover cop.

June 16, 2009, 2:40 pm CDT

Facts!

Quote From: cadescove99

Hearing 14-year-old Ben speak, it's obvious all that pot smoking has damaged his brain. He definitely isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. If he were to try dealing drugs, he'd be just the type to make his first sale to an undercover cop.
Actually Government experts now admit that Marijuana does not kill brain cells. On quite the contrary, a study done by UCLA in 1986 came to the conclusion that marijuana may stimulate the growth of brain cells. People like you are still believing the test they performed on monkeys in the 1950's, where they gased monkeys with un-heard of amounts of pot in a short amount of time threw a gas mask, with no oxygen in the mix. Well if you cut off oxygen to the human brain, the first thing to go is your brain cells, im no expert, but i would asume the same for monkeys...

Sorry for my input but i cant stand for uninformed people like you to spew lies about a plant. Do your research before you speak.

June 17, 2009, 8:38 pm CDT

Laws dont support helping kids

I am a mother of 3 and find it ironic that it is always the fault of the parent.  We have accepted a society where pot smoking is an acceptable past time.  Experimentation has also been accepted with the disclaimer, *as long as they are doing it in front of you in thier own home*. The laws in Canada prevent parents from being in an interrogation with thier child, if the child doesnt want them their. In my case, my son is now 15. At 13, when in the care of his father after he overdosed on vodka (was on life support), the mental health authorities, law enforcement authorities and child protective authorities, all assured me that it is not against the law to feed your underage child alcohol in your home. I could not charge his father or remove him from the home. I am not privvy to court documents that explain charges against a child (same 15 year old). In this case, robbing an elderly man of $600.00 and committing fraud. His court appointed lawyer is not at liberty to discuss charges or his action for my son, as I am not his client, my 15 year old pot smoking, criminal behaving boy is.  If my son wants to share that info with me, he can.  So the courts and the police have all the power.  I get a mark of "F" as a parent.  I could choose the hard line and throw this same immature, asthmatic, pot using boy into the streets and hope that the "tough love" action will help him see the error of his ways. The very system we rely on for liberty and justice is the same system that takes away our power to do the things we need to help our kids grow into healthy contributing members of society. There are deadbeat parents out there that should be ashamed. I'm not ashamed of my parenting or of my child. I am horribly ashamed at the power we have given to others to raise our kids. Shame on us!!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next Page | Last Page