Message Boards

Topic : 06/30 Classic Dr. Phil: Overweight Children

Number of Replies: 20
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, June 26, 2009, 01:31:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 02/03/03) We now know that the combination of fast food, video games and a sedentary lifestyle have contributed to one out of every three kids in the United States being overweight. With the population of obese children reaching epidemic proportions, Dr. Phil reaches out to parents dealing with obese children. Meet a mom whose 4-year-old son weighs over 100 pounds. Hear why she thinks countless doctors and nutritionists haven’t been able to help her little boy, and learn what role Dr. Phil thinks she plays in her son’s health and well being. Can Dr. Phil convince her that saying no when her child asks for junk food will not make her a bad mom? Find out what role Dr. Phil believes this mother — and all parents — play in their child's health and well-being. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 27, 2009, 10:28 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Children Classic Doctor Erica Jay Jordan Phil/Robin Overweight. What here  we go again. Another Childr--

en overweight. See you on June 30th, 2009 Tuesday. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------

June 29, 2009, 11:44 am CDT

06/30 Classic Dr. Phil: Overweight Children

I watched this show when it originally aired. And, was beyond disgusted with all the "lip" this boy's mother gave Dr Phil. Especially her "what's wrong with giving him a damn cookie when he's upset" attitude. That's what's making so many children so fat and destined for such an early grave, emotional eating. Reinforced by parents, such as this mother, who "love" their children with food.

June 29, 2009, 7:13 pm CDT

I was beyond livid when I saw the previews.  "What's wrong with giving him a damn cookie?"  I'll tell you what's wrong,  HE WEIGHS OVER WELL OVER 100 POUNDS!  That's what's wrong!  How can one look at their obese child, being obese theirself and still feed them junk food?  It baffles my mind.  I know she thinks she loves her son, but that isn't love.  What she and others like her don't understand is that if they would eat adaquate portions of the right HOME COOKED foods (e.g. meats and veggies), they wouldn't "need" junk food and more than likely wouldn't desire them, either.  I'm sure I'll have more to say once Tuesday's show has refreshed my memory.

June 30, 2009, 1:25 pm CDT

That is just rediculous on how much that child weighed. I am 16 5' 4" and 120 lbs. That child is going to die from obesity, a child that young should not be having any type of soda, or anything that he is being fed. Just stupid parenting.

June 30, 2009, 1:35 pm CDT

I want to shake this woman

i can't believe that this woman has sat there and acted like a victim and haughty no-it-all while she slowly kills her son.  metabolic issue my left foot.  self righteous and indignant and completely ill equipped to even have a pet. 

June 30, 2009, 1:50 pm CDT

Overweight 4 yr. old

I am appalled by the excuse that Tina is a single mother and that her son has gone through some very emotional times, as an excuse for his obesity. My son lost his father from suicide when he was 5 yrs. old and I didn't feed him with food to help him emotionally. Tina needs to look in the mirror and examine why she is in denial and what she needs to do to help her son. Children need rules and boundries and saying No is all part of that!

June 30, 2009, 1:51 pm CDT

Single Parent

Dr Phil,

I am a single parent who has no one to help me out like that mother does. My parents have both passed away and siblings are roughly 2 and a half hours away. I have raised my child alone since birth with very little help from his father. My son will be 7 in November and is 50 pounds, the doctors are telling me he is right where he should be. Tall and slender.

I have been able to tell him no on many occassions since he has been able to understand. He is in daycare when I am at work.

There is many health factors that run in my family but I do not let that stand in the way of him being healthy. The doctors know the health history of my family. He doesn't get the rewards of food when trying to get him to do things. I know I am just an average mom who is trying her very best to raise him right. 

This mother that you have on with the 150# 4 yr old just makes me very upset knowing she should be the firm one, she is the one who needs to be in control like you said. And grandma should know better as well.

June 30, 2009, 2:13 pm CDT

What was the outcome

I watched the show today and it was from February of 2003.  Dr Phil offered a comprehensive program to help deal with all of the problems that were going on in the lives of all three family members.  Tina agreed to accept the help for 4 months.  Dr. Phil stated that he would have them back after the 4 months to see how things went.  Well, what happened.  I have a feeling that while Tina and her Mother said they would abide by the program and were grateful for the help, they didn't follow it through.  I would love to know what happened.

June 30, 2009, 3:08 pm CDT

overweight children

I am very worried about where the mother gets the holy than thou attitude.... Scary that a person like that can have children... you have to deal with your own trama before you bring a child into this world... She has some issues... I was very glad to hear that the child went to the other parent and was able to be helped...At least someone cared... I have not sympathy for the mother because all she cared about was herself...Thanks Dr. Phil for the intervention.... it was well worth for that little boy who has a wonderful life ahead of him..... 

June 30, 2009, 3:14 pm CDT

Quote From: sbsyukon

I watched the show today and it was from February of 2003.  Dr Phil offered a comprehensive program to help deal with all of the problems that were going on in the lives of all three family members.  Tina agreed to accept the help for 4 months.  Dr. Phil stated that he would have them back after the 4 months to see how things went.  Well, what happened.  I have a feeling that while Tina and her Mother said they would abide by the program and were grateful for the help, they didn't follow it through.  I would love to know what happened.

At the end of today's rerun of the original episode, Dr. Phil shows the clip from the  show where his father had taken temporary custody and Dr. Phil had the father (Alex)  and two of his family members on. Joshua had lost 100 (he was 187 when his dad got custody) and he is now very active in sports and eats healthy foods. There was a remarkable physical change in the boy when he appeared on that episode and he seemed very happy. It was great to see how well he was doing away from his 'enablers'.

As for Tina (the mom), Dr. Phil had her back for a follow-up prior to Alex regaining custidy and she was insisting that they had done well with the program he put them on. Not. He had lost 5 lbs. in 5 weeks.

Just go to this link for more info and also go back through to see the other two follow up episodes you missed.

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/121/

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | Next | Last